Thinking about trying out Norwegian

Mr & Mrs Happy

I know you have a lot of questions, but I will answer the most important one for you.

Go with Carnival. While the Sun was recently refurbished, it simply is not worth the prices you quoted. Gratuity on that ship is $19.99pp/pd, so add roughly $120 to your figures. There is free alcohol, but choices are very limited and certainly not comparable to Carnival's Cheers package. Plus the food is awful.

Totally not my experience at all. I would go with the Sun hands down all day long. Ship looks beautiful and was so much fun. Not sure those prices are the best deal you can find so I'd keep looking. Food is subjective and we found it to be just fine...no better or worse than CCL. Also, we found the drink menu to be varied and extensive. Never had a problem getting a certain type of drink. Water was readily available all over the place to fill up water bottles and coffee is available in the rooms. I like both the itineraries but have been to Nassau so many times that I would likely stay on the empty ship and enjoy the peace and quiet. If you can find a better deal than what you've found so far, go for the Sun. I'm already booked for next year with my DM. Can't wait to make it our annual mother/daughter getaway.

If interested, here's an excellent review of the Sun and everything that's included by @BirdsTravel....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539744

That's not a review for the Sun. We've got some confused folks on this forum. Or perhaps a lack of reading comprehension.

Here's my review for the SUN. Fair and balanced, and detailed, which seems to be rare on this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2644432

Here is another, from a sailing around the same time as mine:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2642775

Questions? Feel free to ask.

Edited by CruisingNole

That's not a review for the Sun. We've got some confused folks on this forum. Or perhaps a lack of reading comprehension.

Here's my review for the SUN. Fair and balanced, and detailed, which seems to be rare on this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2644432

Here is another, from a sailing around the same time as mine:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2642775

Questions? Feel free to ask.

The sail-a- way rate always seems to be sold out. Im the type that says something if I see someone being disrespectful to those working on the ship. I had to go that route on our last cruise. After reading and reading and reading, I'm going with Carnival. As stated before, I have no complaints in cruising with Carnival, yet. I just wanted to try something different.

I'm a planner, so that's why Im planning so early. Plus I like to pay for as much as I can prior to the cruise, so all I have to do is get on-board and have fun. This cruise will be interesting as it'll be a first with us doing the CHEERS program. Hopefully I wont be one of those drunks dancing on tables and stuff...LOL! j/k. I tend to know my limits

I’ve never sailed Sky but have done 7 cruises with NCL. To me, hands down better than Carnival.

At least with my friends, Carnival has the reputation of the redneck party cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isn't it NCL Sun? I guess the Sun is just like the Sky. I have to agree ... the food on Sky was horrible, maybe the food on the Sun is too.

So here’s my perspective after 20 Carnival cruises and one NCL. Longer Carnival sailings aren’t the redneck drunk fest some here make them out to be. Fun and nightlife? Yes. Crazy drunkenness and bad behavior? Very rare. My main reasons for switching lines was that Carnival never discounts for solo cruises and has no solo cabins like the studios. I’ve done Cheers on multiple Carnival cruises and UBP on the Epic earlier this year.

In Carnival’s favor:

• drinks up to $50 each are included(very few cost over $15)
  • Bottled water and sodas included
  • Specialty coffees included
  • Fun yet unpretentious clientele

In Norwegian’s favor:

• No Limit on number of drinks per day (limit of 15 on Carnival)
  • No slips to sign with each drink
  • Overall slightly better service and food
  • Better high -end alcohol selection .... although at a premium price. Things like Knob Creek or Bookers Bourbon or Nicer tequilas aren’t available at all on Carnival. On Ncl they were priced at $18-$20 a drink so you had to pay the difference with th UBP. At home those go for around $10 drink so there’s an excessive markup with ncl.

Overall my one ncl cruise had an elderly crowd but might have been that one sailing. Carnival tends more towards 30s to 50s. Entertainment on NCL was definitely way better than Carnival if that’s something you are interested in.

You’ll have a good time with either line... for right I’m staying with NCL since the solo pricing with UBP is way better than Carnival with Cheers. Enjoy your cruise either way!

All of my cruises have been with Carnival. We have an upcoming 4 day cruise ((but need to change to a 3 day cruise due to my classes) but I'm thinking about trying out Norwegian.

I came across 2 - 3 day cruises out of Port Canaveral on Norwegian Sun.

I've been to Nassau a few times already but Great Stirrup Cay would be a new port to visit.

Both ocean view; DH has to have natural light, includes unlimited drinks (are soda's, and specialty coffees included?) and 2 options if booking an ocean view; I would choose the picture package and $50 off a shore excursion at each port(s).

(1) Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau - Total: $1114.54

(2) Great Stirrup Cay and Sea day - Total: $1274.54

If I did a 3 day (ocean view) with Carnival; Princess Cay (never been) and Nassau. Total: $1257.26 which includes the Cheers package. No discount on shore excursion but there is a $50 on board credit.

We dont want to worry about anything other than relaxing, which is why we are going with CHEERS for the first time if we went with Carnival.

Ok here are my questions.

(1) Of the 3 choices, which seems the best option?

(2) Gratuity on Carnival comes to $77.70 total. Is gratuity included with the price for Norwegian? If not, what would be the price or estimation?

(3) Does Norwegian have a "party type vibe"? We're pretty laid back but love to have fun. Especially when it comes to dancing.

(4) What about internet? Pricing? Carnival offers the HUB app, does Norwegian offer something similar?

Any other information would be appreciated.

I’ve never sailed on the NCL sky but I have been on 9 cruises on NCL and 23 cruises on Carnival. Carnival was my preferred cruise line until they just kept raising prices but lowering quality. I switched completely to NCL in 2016. I just got sick and tired of watching my water glass slide on it’s condensation across the table at me every time there was a wave because the darn cruise line was too cheap to put tablecloth on the table! They used to have a full orchestra for Carnival Cruise Line shows but got rid of it and use canned music to which a few singers and dancers basically perform karaoke. The main shows only last 30 minutes each evening! I don’t know anything about the sky and for all I know you may have a poor experience there but I can tell you, over all, the entertainment is much better on NCL and Royal Caribbean than it is on Carnival. If carnival lowers their solo rate to a reasonable rate I’m willing to give them a second chance but I would never pay $1200 for a three day cruise on any cruise line! My cruise in September on the NCL Getaway is a total of $1497 including port charges, tax, and service charges on the promotional packages but its a 7 day cruise with free UBP, free SDP, 250 min free WIFI, $50 per port discount on NCL Tours, AND $200 OBC! The daily service charge (gratuity for cabin steuard ect..) will be $14.99 per day ($101.50 total). Since I can’t use the onboard credit for the gratuity per NCL rules I went ahead and booked all of my tours plus two dinner shows with that $200 onboard credit. So other than the $101.50 gratuities my cruise truly is all inclusive!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My cruise in September on the NCL Getaway is a total of $1497 including port charges, tax, and service charges on the promotional packages but its a 7 day cruise with free UBP, free SDP, 250 min free WIFI, $50 per port discount on NCL Tours, AND $200 OBC! The daily service charge (gratuity for cabin steuard ect..) will be $14.99 per day ($101.50 total). Since I can’t use the onboard credit for the gratuity per NCL rules I went ahead and booked all of my tours plus two dinner shows with that $200 onboard credit. So other than the $101.50 gratuities my cruise truly is all inclusive!

Are you in a suite??

Are you in a suite??

Forgive the pun but If I could get a suite for $1497 that would really be a sweet deal! When I booked last month NCL was offering a special that gave as many as five perks if you book at least a balcony. The fifth perk was the “third or fourth family member free” perk and since I am traveling solo I don’t need that one! [emoji1]

The sail-a- way rate always seems to be sold out. Im the type that says something if I see someone being disrespectful to those working on the ship. I had to go that route on our last cruise. After reading and reading and reading, I'm going with Carnival. As stated before, I have no complaints in cruising with Carnival, yet. I just wanted to try something different.

I'm a planner, so that's why Im planning so early. Plus I like to pay for as much as I can prior to the cruise, so all I have to do is get on-board and have fun. This cruise will be interesting as it'll be a first with us doing the CHEERS program. Hopefully I wont be one of those drunks dancing on tables and stuff...LOL! j/k. I tend to know my limits

I am a TA and you can book either now and watch the price if it goes down before final payment then call and get the lower rate for either cruise line. IMO you cant compare the drink package with cheers you are limited to 15 drinks a day which seems like a lot unless you are a beer drinker and IMO food on NCL is far better then Canaveral now a days it is more of comparing ships then the cruise lines maybe I missed it but ship are you doing for Carnival?