Paying the price for early booking.

chromered7

In the US market, in addition to fully refundable deposits, RCI has had non-refundable deposits since early 2016, if I remember correctly.

Celebrity added non-refundable deposits in late 2016 or early 2017, but in June 2018 stopped offering non-refundable deposits on most if not all cruises. This may or may not be a temporary stoppage.

In August 2018,yes this month, Celebrity was offering Non-refundable deposits on future cruises booked on board for at least some trips for those of us in the US market. Should you require proof, I can include my paperwork...

In August 2018,yes this month, Celebrity was offering Non-refundable deposits on future cruises booked on board for at least some trips for those of us in the US market. Should you require proof, I can include my paperwork...

Was not questioning your experience regarding on-board bookings - rather your opinion that "I suspect the fully refundable deposit is not long for this world."

RCI has had non-refundable deposits for over two years and still continues to offer refundable deposits. And Celebrity's on-line reservations are currently still not offering non-refundable deposits on most cruises.

Interestingly enough, Celebrity is now "offering" non-refundable deposits on some cruises when booking thru the future cruise desk on board. I just booked one while on Equinox. For sometime Azamara has been charging a $50 change fee. I think I've read recently of parent RCCL toying with various non-refundable deposit approaches. I suspect the fully refundable deposit is not long for this world.

I wonder if this is to discourage the "looky-lous" or those that just put down a deposit 12-18 months out and keep moving the booking out-- trying to capture offers/perks ?

By the way, when someone says they wait until they can get the best deal they can get, how is that possible? In many cases, the SR prices go up, so if you waited for them to reach ‘bottom’ and then they start up which then defined ‘bottom’, you are too late and pay more. Or if you wait until you think that’s the cheapest rate or until they add more goodies and you then book, what happens if the price drops more, or they add more enticements? You paid more.

Kind of like when someone says they waited to buy some stock when it hit bottom, then sale when it peaks......yeah, right. The bottom is defined after it raises and the peak is defined after it drops. I guess I treat reserving a cruise as I do with the stock market, I buy when I have the funds to do so, and sale when I need the funds......to go on cruise!!!

Den

By the way, when someone says they wait until they can get the best deal they can get, how is that possible? In many cases, the SR prices go up, so if you waited for them to reach ‘bottom’ and then they start up which then defined ‘bottom’, you are too late and pay more. Or if you wait until you think that’s the cheapest rate or until they add more goodies and you then book, what happens if the price drops more, or they add more enticements? You paid more.

Kind of like when someone says they waited to buy some stock when it hit bottom, then sale when it peaks......yeah, right. The bottom is defined after it raises and the peak is defined after it drops. I guess I treat reserving a cruise as I do with the stock market, I buy when I have the funds to do so, and sale when I need the funds......to go on cruise!!!

Den

In our case we booked early the additional free perks came later we tried to access them via X but they refused. We then made another booking on the same cruise under better terms, booked the flights ourselves , cancelled our original cruise and still saved money even though we lost our original deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Den

I did explain the two strategies that are proven to work some weeks ago but you said you didn't have the time to monitor pricing movements.

But once you have access to a third party monitoring resource you'll have an idea which cruises to book as soon as they are released and an idea as to which ones will dip, so book, monitor and rebook when the price drops.

It's actually quite simple to do.

EDited to add : I'm currently interested in a brand new Northern Europe itinerary so have little info to go on. In this instance I know what I'm prepared to pay based on the ship, stateroom choice and included perks (which are of value to us but I do appreciate may not be of value to others). So in this instance I'll book in the US due to more flexibility as it's only slightly more expensive than booking in the UK and monitor. If it dips I'll cancel and rebook if not I'm already happy with pricing as it's in my acceptable price parameters. Hope that makes sense?

That's always a risk when ever you book.

Best advise I can give is when you get onboard book a Cruise Now which is a future cruise. The advantage is it will cost you essentially nothing as they give you back Onboard Credit equal to the deposit at exchange rate of $1.69 to 1GBP (Significantly better than the current rate of $1.27 to 1GBP) Not only does the future cruise cost you zero you will make a profit on the exchange rate, its a win win for us Brits.

You will also be able to change the future cruise ship/date at any time before final payment as many times as you like without incurring any charges or fees.

We did just that on our Reflection cruise last month. It's a "no brainer" even if you have no intention of taking the cruise. You lose the deposit but make up for it and more with the $150 OBC.

I was prepared to write off the £89 deposit but have now found a cruise aboard the Edge this December.