Disembark in Venice

snow1

For those of you who have recently cruised the Greek Isles from Venice, if the ship docks at 8 what time could you disembark? When and where do they start giving out the colored tags for the different times??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed last year on the Star Greek Isles but according to the papers I have the earliest regular guests were allowed off was 0825. 0815 for Gold and higher Latitude status.

I remember getting the luggage tags on our 5th day which was our sea day. They were by guest services for us to choose a color.

Last week the earliest available luggage tag that wasn’t exclusive was 8:10 am. Unfortunately that was the week the lady jumped off the boat so I am unsure if it is really that early. And yes it was available on our sea day (Friday) after 6 pm on deck 7 by guest services.

Thanks for your response

Approximately how long did it take you to disembark ?

Do they allow you to do self walk off?

As has been mentioned there is no self walk off in Venice. Once our tag color was called we walked took the stairs down and were off the ship very quickly. There was no customs to go through at the port. We were able to find a shared cab to the airport with no problem and even with taking detours because of a marathon were at the airport between 10 and 11 if I remember correctly.

Thanks everyone but we have a scheduled taxi to take us to the Mestre train station. Also not wanting to drag luggage to the People Mover. . So do you think the 9:00 tag will be enough time to make our 9:45 taxi ?! Or do we need to get an earlier one??

Thanks !

you cant self walk off in Venice

port rule

really?

We walked off ourselves (2 full size suitcase, 3 carry-ons, 4 backs-packs between 4 of us)

No one said anything about not being able to do it (before , during or after)

Thanks everyone but we have a scheduled taxi to take us to the Mestre train station. Also not wanting to drag luggage to the People Mover. . So do you think the 9:00 tag will be enough time to make our 9:45 taxi ?! Or do we need to get an earlier one??

Thanks !

Star has been significantly late only 3 times this season, AFAIK.

Our ship arrived early but disembarkation was running about an hour late but caught up towards the end.

Why not get 8:15 am tag. That way if they are running say 30 min late, you are still out in time for your taxi.

You can just walk off with carry on luggage just not big suitcases

Again, no one from ship told us about this restriction.

We did self-roll with 2 nig suitcases, 3 carry-on and four backpcks without any issue

(no one mentioned anything before during or after)

really?

We walked off ourselves (2 full size suitcase, 3 carry-ons, 4 backs-packs between 4 of us)

No one said anything about not being able to do it (before , during or after)

I’m not sure whether they specifically say that you can’t, but the “You’ll be leaving soon” sheet that is distributed before disembarkation doesn’t offer self walk off as an option.

There is nothing to actually stop you, as they need you off the ship, but you could certainly be quite a nuisance with all those bags of the ship has docked at one of the berths which use lifts. It has always been my assumption that those lifts are the reason for this rule, as people with cases would really show things down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure whether they specifically say that you can’t, but the “You’ll be leaving soon” sheet that is distributed before disembarkation doesn’t offer self walk off as an option.

There is nothing to actually stop you, as they need you off the ship, but you could certainly be quite a nuisance with all those bags of the ship has docked at one of the berths which use lifts. It has always been my assumption that those lifts are the reason for this rule, as people with cases would really show things down.

a) Didnt use the lift (there was no need - diembarkation was from seventh deck and path was long zig-zag but step-free and there was escalator at the end in the terminal just like airport terminals)

b) All prior NCL, it has been always the case (since the introduction of FSC), if you have not put out your luggage prior night, you have to lug it yourself and you can do it any time after ship is called.

c) Entire process was smooth with no big crowds on the ship, during disembarkation, in the terminal or outside. Wish NCL had handled tendering so effectively.

I didn't see to many people lugging bags off the ship when we get off on the Star in Venice. Only saw people wheeling carry on bags. And I agree, the sheet they hand out the night before didn't really mention that you could carry your own bags off. Venice was very efficient though in terms of our bags were offloaded pretty quick to the pier.

a) Didnt use the lift (there was no need - diembarkation was from seventh deck and path was long zig-zag but step-free and there was escalator at the end in the terminal just like airport terminals)

b) All prior NCL, it has been always the case (since the introduction of FSC), if you have not put out your luggage prior night, you have to lug it yourself and you can do it any time after ship is called.

c) Entire process was smooth with no big crowds on the ship, during disembarkation, in the terminal or outside. Wish NCL had handled tendering so effectively.

Yes, I’m well aware of how walk off works. We use it everywhere except for Venice.

My point was that at least one of the berths at Venice does require a lift in order to get off the ship. You obviously weren’t at one of those, so it wasn’t a problem, but if you had been and there were many people who were walking off with their luggage then it would have been an issue and very much slowed down the process.

It has always been my assumption that the ban on walk off is due to these berths with the lifts.

As stated, there is nothing to actually stop people walking off with luggage. We had to do so last year with one bag, as we needed to retrieve it during the night and it couldn’t go back again. We had to use the lifts and felt conscious enough about being a nuisance that we felt the need to explain to people why we had it.