Seasick patches

alabuddy

13 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

You know that it's not recommended to do that, right?

Wear only one patch at a time. Do not cut the patch.

https://www.transdermscop.com/

Yes I do.  But I have been using it this way for years with no problem.  I suspect it is about getting the medication on your fingers and into your eyes etc.  You have to be very careful.  I wash my hands etc. very carefully.  The amount of medication with 1/2 patch works for me and I don't have any side effects.  If I used a whole patch maybe I would.  This is my choice and I am not recommending anyone else do it.

2 hours ago, spdwain said:

.  The amount of medication with 1/2 patch works for me and I don't have any side effects.  If I used a whole patch maybe I would.  This is my choice and I am not recommending anyone else do it.

You are lucky that you haven't overdosed. As previously stated, cutting through a timed release patch allows the remainder of the dose to rapidly exit the patch, instead of being slowly released as intended. You either got all if the drug within a very short time, or none of it if it was inadvertently wiped away.

There is, in fact, a proper way to use just half the dose of a timed release patch. It involves placing a small piece of waterproof tape on the skin, and then positioning the patch (whole, uncut) so that it is half on  and half off the tape.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, spdwain said:

I used the Transderm Scop patch on a recent cruise that went through the remnants of Diego.  The seas were high and there were lots of people seasick.  I always get seasick, but the patch works for me.  I actually cut it in half and use it.  I don't get any side effects other than being a bit tired at night.  I could not cruise without it.  I have tried everything else, but for me this is the answer.

I read some horrifying reviews for the Scopolamine patch AFTER I picked them up for a cruise. 

I read about blurry vision, dry mouth, blackouts, migraines, sleepwalking and a host of other pretty scary

side effects.  I thought about cutting in half also since I seem to always get side effects of some type

from meds.  Did you try a full patch before you cut in half and if so, what effects did you experience on

the full patch.. thanks!

On 12/27/2018 at 11:10 AM, mom says said:

There is, in fact, a proper way to use just half the dose of a timed release patch. It involves placing a small piece of waterproof tape on the skin, and then positioning the patch (whole, uncut) so that it is half on  and half off the tape.

Thanks, I think I'll give that a shot. :classic_smile:

On 12/27/2018 at 8:10 AM, mom says said:

You are lucky that you haven't overdosed. As previously stated, cutting through a timed release patch allows the remainder of the dose to rapidly exit the patch, instead of being slowly released as intended. You either got all if the drug within a very short time, or none of it if it was inadvertently wiped away.

1 hour ago, JustLil said:

I read some horrifying reviews for the Scopolamine patch AFTER I picked them up for a cruise. 

I read about blurry vision, dry mouth, blackouts, migraines, sleepwalking and a host of other pretty scary

side effects.  I thought about cutting in half also since I seem to always get side effects of some type

from meds.  Did you try a full patch before you cut in half and if so, what effects did you experience on

the full patch.. thanks!

55 minutes ago, JustLil said:

Thanks, I think I'll give that a shot. :classic_smile:

Please read first post I quoted.  You are NOT supposed to cut patches in half, as that will change the amount of meds actually dispensed (you could get too much, too fast.  Or too little).

Edited by Shmoo here

39 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Please read first post I quoted.  You are NOT supposed to cut patches in half, as that will change the amount of meds actually dispensed (you could get too much, too fast.  Or too little).

Thanks, I was referring to the post from 'mom says'

" There is, in fact, a proper way to use just half the dose of a timed release patch. It involves placing a small piece of waterproof tape on the skin, and then positioning the patch (whole, uncut) so that it is half on  and half off the tape. "

Has anyone tried eating green apples? I remember reading a post in which a man's wife couldn't get relief from other treatments; a cabin steward brought her the apples and she got relief. He claimed some crew members use/eat them. Just curious. 

Edited by Etta1213

On 1/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, notalandlover said:

I take the patches as well.  The last time I got them my pharmacist said its the same thing as meclizine.  Not sure the mg strength vs standard meclizine.  

Patches are scopalomine.  Commonly known as the truth serum drug in movies and TV.

Meclizine is an anti histamine that also reduces motion sickness.

On January 31, 2019 at 12:12 PM, notalandlover said:

I take the patches as well.  The last time I got them my pharmacist said its the same thing as meclizine.  Not sure the mg strength vs standard meclizine.  

That's just flat out wrong. You need to find a new pharmacy. And, while you're at it, report your pharmacist to the state board.