Did I get took? GEM: Aft Mini-Suite vs. Aft Suite

There are those among you who seem to have access to exact square footage/balcony size of a cabin vs. the "average for this room type" I seem to be able to find.

I am traveling with my 88 year old mother...she uses a walker for balance, and can't do steps unless there are really good railings. She likes an ADA compliant stool, and she likes grab bars.

So, we had a mid-ship balcony, but we upped it to an aft mini-suite to get her a handicapped room. I could find good videos and pictures of 11650. From the deck plan, it looks like it is 1.5 mini-suites: they took the space where three mini-suites would have been normally, and made it into two handicapped rooms. I know it was right under the Great Outdoors, but I was feeling pretty good about my choice.

Now, closer to sailing, I saw that there is a Suite (hello Butler Snacks!) that is also aft facing and also handicapped accessible. Upping to Suite 9172 for the three of us cost us a total of $488 (400 for the cabin, 88 for the increased pre paid service charges). It came with 100 more onboard credit (which we will use) 250 free minutes (which will use...easily) and $50.00 per port shore excursion (not sure if we will use ships excursions, so.....). So, I jumped at it and upped to the suite.

As much as I love suite privileges and the aforementioned butler snacks....I can't tell if 9172 is really any bigger than 11650. It might even be (gasp!) smaller!

Does anyone know the actual square footage of the two rooms and their respective balconies?

Did I just pay more for a smaller room??!!???

Not sure of square footage but- With the amount of perks you get with a suite, it will most definitely offset the cost, even if the room is a little smaller (not saying it is, as I mentioned, I don’t know). We had an aft suite on the Pearl (Gem’s sister ship) and LOVED it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no idea what the square footage is BUT... even if the space is slightly smaller, it's well worth the additional cost!

We enjoyed breakfast in our suite every morning on our last cruise. It made the start of the day much easier for my 85 year old husband. He doesn't enjoy the buffet and getting up, dressed, and out of the cabin for breakfast was sometimes a challenge for my slow starter.

Yes, we could have a continental breakfast in a regular cabin or mini suite but it's not the same. We sat at a real table & were able to order a full breakfast. And, best of all, we even had breakfast served on disembark day which was especially sweet!

I doubt it's smaller, the balcony will probably be larger. I was in 9170 on the Jewel last month with one of disabled rooms next door. The balcony wasn't quite as large as our's was, since we were in the corner it was a bit larger. From the quick glance I got into the room walking by it appeared to be just as large as our's was but laid out a bit more open than the regular suite was. I think you'll be fine, just make sure it can hold 3.

I found a video of your cabin 9172 on the Pearl that might be helpful. The Gem & Pearl are sisters so the decor will be different but the layout should be the same (y)

I hope this works and helps ease your mind! Have a great cruise!

The aft MINI suite is MUCH bigger than the Aft Penthouse - not sure why folks are posting otherwise. I have stayed in both cabins. I much prefer the Penthouse for the suite perks, but the aft mini is definitely WAY bigger in terms of square footage and storage.

OK, thank you everyone for your input. I compared the youtube for the Pearl's version of 9172 to the one of Gem's 11650, and they definitely don't match up with zqvol's measurements at all. Hopefully I'll be like pcakes122 and enjoy the amenities enough I don't miss the other room.

I can't go back, so I'll just go forward...enjoying butler snacks, priority boarding and the special restaurant for suite breakfast.

Thanks again for your help!

OK, thank you everyone for your input. I compared the youtube for the Pearl's version of 9172 to the one of Gem's 11650, and they definitely don't match up with zqvol's measurements at all. Hopefully I'll be like pcakes122 and enjoy the amenities enough I don't miss the other room.

I can't go back, so I'll just go forward...enjoying butler snacks, priority boarding and the special restaurant for suite breakfast.

Thanks again for your help!

1000% I prefer the Penthouse to the Mini - even though it's much smaller. Aside from the suite perks, the suite beds and furnishings are much nicer overall! (Although NCL we really have to say goodbye to the green & pink butterfly carpeting now that the other decor items have been upgraded to the new color scheme!) In comparison, the furnishings in the mini are older and like uncomfortable stick furniture.

You will have a FABULOUS time! And if Jayson is your butler, you will never want to come home! :)