Almost died parasailing!!

kooledd

Our family took a Mexican Riviera cruise on Sapphire Princess the first week

of November. We went to the EL Cid hotel in Mazatlan to spend the day re-

laxing and swimming in the pool.

My wife and son-in-law wanted to parasail so I negotiated a price of $20 USD

each from the vendors on the beach. My wife went first and everything went well and she enjoyed herself although the ride was a little short.

The son-in-law went next. Everrything went well until he was far, far out to sea, maybe 2-3 miles from shore with a speedboat pulling him. All of a sudden we noticed his parachute in the distance descending slowly until he went into

the water. We were so far away on the beach we could see nothing. The

feeling of panic and despair was horrible. The locals on the beach saw what

happened and they were powering up their small boats and jet skis and racing off for a rescue. After what seemed a long time, my son-in-law made

it back on a jet ski.

Evidentally the speedboat pulling him lost power (out of gas??) and just died

in the water. He floated down and was dragged underwater by the parachute. He remembered seeing a movie about quick-releasing from a para-

chute and managed to take the proper steps. Thank God they had put a

lifejacket on him and it helped keep him afloat until he could unhook his chute. He had to be rescued by other boats as his speedboat was not moving.

I was given my money back and offerred free parasailing for the family. We

got out of that place so fast your head would spin. No way was I going to

tempt fate twice. We think had it not been for the lifejacket he might not

be here today. Also, how many of us know how to quick-release from a

parachute. Moral- Know your risks when you try something new.

Fortunately, all turned out well. My wife and I were discussing parasailing just last night. She almost had me convinced to give it a go, now, I might be a little reluctant.

I might use this as a good example of what happenings when you go with the lowest-cost bidder. :)

That's scary. Both times we've parasailed it's been with reputable companies with good equipment and we've had a fantastic time. However, problems can happen anywhere. Next time I'm going to ask about how to release the parachute. I'm glad everything came out okay in the end.

Also, how many of us know how to quick-release from a

parachute. Moral- Know your risks when you try something new.

Who knew they just sent you off in a parachute without telling you how to get the thing off yourself in an emergency?? Thank goodness your son-in-law knew!

I've really wanted to try this sometime. SO...how DO you quick-release from a parachute?

I have a parasailing excursion booked when we are in St. Thomas on the Golden Princess.

Yes, I understand that there are risks invloved when parasailing. I look at it this way: With the number of people who go up, the number that have problems are very small compared to the total participating. I'm willing to take the risk.......Karen

While in Acapulco 10 years ago, I almost slammed into the side of a high rise hotel parasailing. I was given incomplete instructions in broken English, and wasn't told how to steer the thing properly. Finally, the entire beach crowded together (50 or so) and shouted the proper instructions out loud so I could hear.. Thank god. When deciding to do these things outside the U.S., keep in mind that safety is not always first!

When we were at Sandals Dunn's River in Ocho Rios Jamaica a few year's ago a man was parasailing. We were watching from the beach and all of a sudden he came crashing down and hit the water. He really hit hard. They had to go out and get him. It was really scary! Needless to day we will never go parasailing.

My first time parasailing was in Antigua in about 1991. I had to sign a waiver (which I thought was normal). I took off from the beach, and was dragged face down across the beach, getting two nostrils full of sand (which I also thought was normal). The straps between my legs kept cutting into my skin (normal, again). The view was breathtaking, and I was kept aloft for about 20 minutes, snapping pictures. I was slowly eased down - right into the water (again thinking this was normal), and the parachute was over my head. I just pulled it off..because this was "normal", and the boat picked me up. Yes - I wore a life vest. I thought it was great!! The next time was in St. Thomas, and I was reeled up off the back of a boat, and reeled back in. I wouldn't even have gotten wet, except that I opted for that "backwards head dip" thing. Totally different experiences! I've also parasailed in Nassau and Puerto Vallarta...both times off the back of a boat. Love it!! (The times..they are a'changin'!)

My son(he was around 12 at the time) and I were tandem parasailing several years ago in OC Md. We had a great experience and a wonderful landing. As we stood on the landing board on the back of the boat the tow rope broke loose and unraveled causing my son and I to be thrown back into the Atlantic Ocean. The boat circled around and came back to pick us up. My husband and nephew were on the boat with us and knew we were ok, just a bit shaken, but my older son was on the beach and only saw us go into the water, he was already counting his inheritance. This was the second bad landing that I've had - the first was over twenty years ago when you landed on a wooden platform - I hit the small of my back on the edge. Maybe I'll try again in another 15 years when I'm too old to know any better.

No matter what everything has it's dangers, but you gotta take chances to experience the beauty and there's nothing as peaceful as flying up over the water.

Went parasailing there 15 years ago - from an offshore raft. Never got wet, comfortable, gorgeous views. I read about serious (even fatal) accidents in Mexico thereafter though. You shouldn't be anywhere near a building!

Risk - I'm no daredeveil, but being desk bound is no fun, and contributes to heart disease! I look forward to helicopter skiing in the Tetons next month!

Everything you do on a cruise ship looks like fun and you figure its safe, until something happens. In 1997 we were in St. martin on a cruise ship. My husband wanted to rent a jet ski and take out our boys. I reluctantly allowed it. My husband hit a wave, got tossed up and came down hitting the handlebars, which cracked his pelvis down the center. he did not realize quite how badly he was hurt. I drove him in our rented jeep to the hospital in Marigot. Nice doctor, clean waiting room and x-ray room, but the patient rooms looked like my kennel. They diagnosed what happened, but I insisted they let me take him back to the ship. Although RCCL agreed to take him on the ship, the truth was they could have said no, according to their regulations. I was with my 2 sons, 9 & 12, in bathing suits, with everything we had on the ship. My husband had to be airlifted to NY from St. Thomas, which was our next port. Yes it looked like a great idea, but once thing I learned, when the surf looks rough, don't go out on a watercraft that you don't know how to drive, its not as easy as it looks.

I was sitting at Kimos in lahaina Hawaii when I lived there one day. We were watching the parasailers go by when suddenly something dropped off the top of the guy parasailing. It was his head. He was decapitated . apparrently the tow rope had been around his neck and well when the boat took off it snapped his head off. They never did find the head and the company, thank god, went under but after I saw that I swore I would never do that. I had had a tow rope around my neck when I was water skiing when I was 10 and dragged and alomost died from it. I stay away from those types of things now.

but my older son was on the beach and only saw us go into the water, he was already counting his inheritance.

I'm sorry, I'm sure it was a scary and serious situation, but this made me literally LOL (startled the dog :D ).

We all need to be very careful. My son, 18, went parasailing last March in Cozumel. It was a great experience for him, and they took him up and brought him down from the back of the boat...HOWEVER...what didn't even cross my mind at the time, was to get to the boat, a young man took him on a ski-doo...out, out, out to the boat...with NO LIFE JACKET! My son is not a swimmer and I was scared to death. The young man was trying to be cool to my son by giving him a good ride..needless to say if you sign up for a parasailing make sure you're safe getting to the boat and back!

I would have thought things would have been much safer these days then when I did this in Puerto Vallarta back in '82. At that time they hooked us on the beach and we kind of ran as the boat took off (didn't have to run far). When I was coming back down a dog started chasing and nipping at the legs of the men who were there to 'catch me' and lead me to a stop - well, they were dancing and jumping all over the place trying to get away from the dog while I was getting closer and closer. Everything worked out but it was quite a sight! For our friend, when he was coming back down, his legs smacked right into a small outdoor beach stand (palapa type) - he wasn't hurt but after watching both of our iffy landings our remaining friend decided this wasn't her cup of tea and passed on the experience.

Archived