Alaskan Cruise Question

Holmie

IMO:

Unless you have a mobility issue, there is no justification for a balcony on an Alaskan cruise. Far better viewing from topside. However, if you enjoy balconies for the light, the roominess, the fresh air and just sitting, then go for it. But don't get it for the views...because balcony views are limited in Alaska. Your views on a balcony are only in 1 direction...

As I said before, in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Forums mobile app

If you are only going once (and we thought that and have now done 4 cruises there), you want to see Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier is impressive (and 9 miles wide), but Glacier Bay is the premier spot. You can't do this on Royal Caribbean. Sail Princess, or maybe Holland America. Our last two trips were on Island Princess in an ocean view cabin. Spent most of our time in the glassed-in swimming pool area, stepping outside for pictures. Coral Princess same design but fewer passengers.

As others have said, excursions are expensive - especially for float planes or helicopters. Float plane to Neets Bay to see bears is around $400pp. Took us two trips to get there due to weather.

Look into https://dolphintours.com/ in Juneau for whale watching, Dyea Dave tours in Skagway with or without train, https://juneaushoretours.com/tour/icefield-helicopter-excursion/ in Juneau for helicopter glacier landing.

Here's my opinion on a balcony and which side of the ship to be on. We had also heard that when cruising in Alaska, a balcony is a must. We booked one for our Alaskan cruise. We hardly ever used it. When there were things to see, we wanted to be on one of the upper decks so we could move from side to side to see things. If the weather was not great, we liked to be in the Viking Crown Lounge where we could see both sides of the ship. When you are on your balcony, you can only see things on one side of the ship. When you are outside on one of the upper decks, you can move from side to side to see things. So, in my opinion, the best side of the ship to be on is the OUTside.

I favor a balcony. You can always go up, but if we didn’t have a starboard balcony one night after putting on jammies, we would never have seen the Aurora borealis when it made a brief appearance. But most important, don’t miss the float plane over five glaciers to Taku lodge for a fresh caught grilled salmon meal. Unbelievable!

If you are only going once (and we thought that and have now done 4 cruises there), you want to see Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier is impressive (and 9 miles wide), but Glacier Bay is the premier spot. You can't do this on Royal Caribbean. Sail Princess, or maybe Holland America. Our last two trips were on Island Princess in an ocean view cabin. Spent most of our time in the glassed-in swimming pool area, stepping outside for pictures. Coral Princess same design but fewer passengers.

As others have said, excursions are expensive - especially for float planes or helicopters. Float plane to Neets Bay to see bears is around $400pp. Took us two trips to get there due to weather.

Look into https://dolphintours.com/ in Juneau for whale watching, Dyea Dave tours in Skagway with or without train, https://juneaushoretours.com/tour/icefield-helicopter-excursion/ in Juneau for helicopter glacier landing.

Huge ditto.

Original Poster please do your homework before booking. (I’m sure you will) My favorite cruise line is Celebrity and then RCI, but for Alaska we did a southbound from Anchorage, spending pre-cruise in Denali and ending in Vancouver spending several post cruise days— with the Coral Princess. We chose a mini suite veranda port side. We thought Princess was a close second to either of the afore mentioned lines. No complaints.

The excursions had nothing on the inner passage and glacier bay, IMO. We did Captn Larry’s whale watching in Juneau and then Mendenhal, the Whitepass train etc thru Canada and Yukon(?) in Skagway and then Misty Fjords floatplane in Ketchikan. All great excursions imo.

I never ever get seasick. I had to leave dinner and go to bed with Bonnie the first night cruising through the sea of Alaska. I had never been seasick on 10+ cruises prior. After that all was fine.

It was a wonderful cruise. Going through inner passage and Glacier Bay, the capt goes in one side and out the other so both port and starboard are equally treated. BTW nothing beats a great hot chocolate in jammies on your own balcony seeing Mother Earth in her finest.

I wish you a wonderful cruise.

I've enjoyed reading this post! We had an Alaska curise booked on Princess for upcoming summer of 2019. However due to my hubby finding a new job he is unable to take leave so have had to cancel! Now considering booking for June/July Aug 2020. Thinking of switching cruises to Royal as we like Royal for kids activities/club. Our son will be 7 in 2020, also love that the floatplane min age is 7! Princess is 8.

We also love the idea of a balcony! We've been on Radiance in 2011, loved the helicopter pad viewing area!!

I will echo that Glacier Bay is really a must see, especially for your first time. I believe that only Princess and Holland America are allowed to go in there, but some feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

RCI and Celebrity are not allowed Glacier Bay. The wordage I have read in the past is “banned”. :eek: I think it was initially an ecology issue with refuse.

For those that can cruise outside of summer months, we went the first sailing in Sept. It is a bit less costly during months of May and Sept., obviously due to possibly cooler or rainier weather.

As great as a balcony is, I would pick great excursions over a balcony, as Alaska excursions are very pricey. For glacier viewing and such you would likely want to be out on a deck where you can easily switch sides. Glacier bay is amazing, and if you think this will be a one-time Alaska trip, I would try to go there. The one-way (or longer than 7 night) itineraries are also superior as they go further up into Alaska.

The most likely area of rough seas is the sea day for itineraries leaving Seattle, as they go out into open ocean. We have done 2 round trip Seattle cruises and I was definitely feeling it that day on each, even with meds, but had no issues for the rest of the cruise. I have heard that the round trip Vancouver and one-way itineraries are better in that regard. I've always liked the idea of aft balconies, but haven't booked one yet due to the motion thing, and that you can get quite a bit of shuddering vibration back there, especially on lower decks.

I have been up and down the inside passage a thousand times, and never have got tired of the view passing by. I would get a balcony if for nothing else sitting out on it with a cup of coffee, watching the frontier pass by.

(Lived in Ketchikan 40 years and have commercial fished and tug boat from Skagway to Seattle)

I want to stick with royal, at least for this cruise. We will someday get to Alaska again, but for this first one we’ll do Royal. My husband and I are on a mission to visit every state together. We’ve been together for 5 years and have made it to 11 states in the time. We also did a cruise in the time and decided to get as many states via cruises as possible because we got re-addicted

I want to stick with royal, at least for this cruise. We will someday get to Alaska again, but for this first one we’ll do Royal. My husband and I are on a mission to visit every state together. We’ve been together for 5 years and have made it to 11 states in the time. We also did a cruise in the time and decided to get as many states via cruises as possible because we got re-addicted

I am sure you and your husband will have a good time. My family and I are on a cruise thru Royal next year to Alaska from Seattle on Ovation of the Seas. We are very excited about the ship and the excursions we have planned.