Tips for these Norwegian ports ship excursions

Presto2

PS: Just wondering how far the funicular is from the cruise port in Bergen. Have just priced it up doing it ourselves and it is only £8 per person. The excursion is about £44 -- seems a lot if it is easy to get there on your own. Thanks for any help.

29 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

PS: Just wondering how far the funicular is from the cruise port in Bergen. Have just priced it up doing it ourselves and it is only £8 per person. The excursion is about £44 -- seems a lot if it is easy to get there on your own. Thanks for any help.

Very walkable and only a short distance from the fish market at the side of the harbour.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Very walkable and only a short distance from the fish market at the side of the harbour.

Great - many thanks for the info. Another port sorted !!!

Don't suppose you know how easy it is to get on the town train in Alesund ? :-)

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Great - many thanks for the info. Another port sorted !!!

Don't suppose you know how easy it is to get on the town train in Alesund ? 🙂

Right outside the dock when we last went but there are 2 ship berths so depends which one you dock at. But again Alesund is a very walkable town.

• Thanks 1

I know Stavanger has plenty to see and is a very pretty and easy walk-about port but if you like gardens the Flor & Fjaere Gardens are spectacular.  It's not a cheap trip but we were so blown-away by it that we fully intend to go again.  You get a catamaran over to the island from the harbour.  I don't think you can do this trip independently as I believe it is only open for lunch/afternoon or dinner/evening bookings for independent travellers.  They have a monopoly for travel to the island - the catamaran only serves the island and its visitors.  They open in the mornings specifically for cruise passengers as I understand it.  You could investigate DiY but I've not cracked how it can be done.  The story of how a pretty barren island was transformed into such an amazing place is incredible.  They have the only palm trees in Norway and plant 35,000 annuals every year.  There are different areas, cactus garden, Italian garden, rose garden, tropical garden, water garden and more - the vision and artistry involved in creating this masterpiece I found mind-blowing.  

https://florogfjare.no/en/about-flor-fjare/

https://www.google.com/search?q=flor+fjaere+stavanger&rlz=1C1PRFI_enGB728GB734&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=JFudSxCltCcckM%2CAAAAAAAAAAABAM%2C_&usg=K_PuGbMcZphb0ReZNK6aqhVdMZZRc%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipmvWvp47gAhXnRBUIHTh-CjUQuqIBMA56BAgFEAY&cshid=1548604111715546&biw=1522&bih=706#imgrc=_

Oops!  That's a lengthy link! 

It was a morning trip and we were back by lunchtime so you would still have time to explore the clapboard houses and cobbled streets and the Hanseatic style old town with its cafes etc during the afternoon.  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My tips would be :- Olden Briksal Glacier if you want to see the Glacier. If you don' t the new Sky LIft. I can't recommend this as haven't been on myself yet but intend to in July.

Stavanger, the gardens every time, but they don't open until May so not for you. We intend to visit the two museums. I think it's oil and canning! I know they sound horrendous but they have been recommended by so many people we are going to give them a try. The town is really nice to have a walk around. I would allow half a day to see it all.

Bergen, definitely the funicular. It's very easy to find. Or if you want to go up higher and have some snow, the chair lift is easy to do on your own but you have to get on the local bus. The tourist information will guide you to the bus stop and the driver puts you off at the right stop.

We haven't been to Alesund.

33 minutes ago, happy v said:

Bergen, definitely the funicular. It's very easy to find. Or if you want to go up higher and have some snow, the chair lift is easy to do on your own but you have to get on the local bus. The tourist information will guide you to the bus stop and the driver puts you off at the right stop.

Hi have not seen the chair lift ! Am hoping that we will see some snow and that the weather is kind to us. (I.e. clear but LOADS of snow!)

Oops sorry it's not a chair lift it's a cable car.

If you look on the web site. Ulriken cable car (I'm sorry I can't do links) it has all the information on tickets and how to get there.

Edited by happy v
add information

1 hour ago, happy v said:

My tips would be :- Olden Briksal Glacier if you want to see the Glacier. If you don' t the new Sky LIft. I can't recommend this as haven't been on myself yet but intend to in July.

Stavanger, the gardens every time, but they don't open until May so not for you. We intend to visit the two museums. I think it's oil and canning! I know they sound horrendous but they have been recommended by so many people we are going to give them a try. The town is really nice to have a walk around. I would allow half a day to see it all.

The oil museum is very interesting happy v.  We went on one occasion because it was raining but were surprised by how good it was.  I think you'll enjoy it.  The canning museum is quite small - the guy running it was from the UK and did an interesting talk and tour (round a small building) but you don't need to devote too much time to do it.  

Didn't realise the OP was going early season so wouldn't be able to go to the gardens.  We go in July so hoping to pay a second visit then. 

19 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

The oil museum is very interesting happy v.  We went on one occasion because it was raining but were surprised by how good it was.  I think you'll enjoy it.  The canning museum is quite small - the guy running it was from the UK and did an interesting talk and tour (round a small building) but you don't need to devote too much time to do it.  

Didn't realise the OP was going early season so wouldn't be able to go to the gardens.  We go in July so hoping to pay a second visit then. 

Thanks, Kruzseeker. We are taking our granddaughter and she is happy enough to come to the garden on the morning so we thought we would go to the museum on the afternoon. Apparently there are lots of interactive displays for children.

My suggestion for Bergen would be to take the excursion organised by the tourist office to the home of Edward Grieg, the composer. The coach with guide take you just a short journey, and then you have a guided tour of the house. You then have time to visit the gardens, and maybe have a coffee before the highlight of the tour. This is a short piano recital in a small modern auditorium, of some of the music that was composed In a small hut overlooking the lake.

i suggested this to some friends who did the North Cape Cruise last summer, and they said that this was the best part of their cruise!