Credit Card Tip While in Canada

Crazy For Cats

There is a big difference between a card being the most popular or having the highest amount of customer sat vs. a card being the most financially advantageous.

I'm not sure how the survey was conducted, or what kind of questions were asked. However, would a financially advantageous card not lead to greater customer satisfaction?

I'm not sure how the survey was conducted, or what kind of questions were asked. However, would a financially advantageous card not lead to greater customer satisfaction?

It's financially advantageous if you shop at Superstore/Loblaws/Shoppers. I have zero interest in that card so I guess it depends on how you want to be rewarded. Free groceries, cash back, lounge passes, travel points. I would think your average household that shops at those stores likes free groceries.

I use the Home Trust card for FX transactions. Am I very happy with it compared to other cards? NO....I had a long hold wait on the phone when I had an issue, The PIN is hardwired, or at least the software for me to change the PIN without getting a new card apparently does not exist.

So I would rate it very low in terms of convenience. Yet, I would certainly not put my FX transactions though some of my other cards that I would rate high based on ease of use, issuer response when I call, etc.

I am wondering about my current FX charge. It is still in pending. The current number indicates 1.5 over the xe.com rate.

Last time I did a check on the rates, several months ago, the rate that showed up was the xe.com rate correct to the third decimal. Perhaps the actual posted amount will be lower than the pending amount.

My 61.50 USD charge this week came across at less than the posted pending rate.

The 'pending' transaction amount indicated a rate at 1.5 percent above the xe.com rate on that day. The charge moved from pending to actual today and it was for a lesser amount. The exchange on that lesser, actual posted amount, appeared to be a half point above the xe.com rate.

So it would appear that the Home rate is still coming across at about what it should. The visa posting rate without the 2.5 percent add on. This is good since we are planning to be out of the country/using this card for four months out of the next eight.