Why do ships fly the flags of countries they visit?

Ny Alesund

Your point for re-writing Newport to : NewPORT .. Is? :( :confused:

I wrote it correctly to begin with and have no idea what y ou are getting at. Kindly enlighten us.

He's stressing that since Newport is a PORT, it would naturally have a nautical flag store.

Okie dockie. :)

I live in a coastal city that has no flag store and grew up in this new England coastal area . I don't know of any dedicated flag store in my community .

Portsmith NH- who knows? maybe they have a flag store? Or Portland Maine? Both ports. Being a port does not necesarily indicate having a dedicated flag store :) :halo:

Coastal city is not necessarily a port city.

Newport is home to a LOT of vessels.

As is Portland Maine and Portsmith NH.............. including their huge fishing fleets and lobster boats. ;) Have you ever visited either of those very maritime orientated states?

I think our ver y respected poster, Chengkp, can verify about Portland (a great port, btw, to visit on a cruise ship. We enjoyed it so much on several port c alls we went back to spend a weekend with some friends. We booked a B & B and the four of us had a wonderful time .

)

Edited by sail7seas

Up until a little while ago we had a flag store about 18 miles from us and they had a good number of flags. If they didn't have a flag that you needed they would gladly order it and have it in a week or so. We're about as landlocked as one can get.:)

Up until a little while ago we had a flag store about 18 miles from us and they had a good number of flags. If they didn't have a flag that you needed they would gladly order it and have it in a week or so. We're about as landlocked as one can get.:)

Interesting. , Though, of course , lots of flags are flown from poles in the ground or on buildings. :)

i In these times . of buying most anything on line, getting a flag should not be too hard to manarge :)

Can't say that I've ever seen them waiting to take down the yellow flag: 20110508_125100 Ruby Princess at Funchal, Madeira

Well, that's simply the difference between good flag etiquette and bad flag etiquette. I have to say that the use of the Q flag is mostly limited to yachts, given the requirements today of electronic notices of arrival in ports, with the attendant request for pratique in those notices.

I live in a coastal city that has no flag store and grew up in this new England coastal area . I don't know of any dedicated flag store in my community .

Portsmith NH- who knows? maybe they have a flag store? Or Portland Maine? Both ports. Being a port does not necesarily indicate having a dedicated flag store :) :halo:

Don't think I have ever seen a retail store selling nothing but flags. If we ever needed a flag, we always located a local ship chandlers. They would normally have the most common flags, both national ensigns & signal flags, in stock and could get others within a few days.

Don't think I have ever seen a retail store selling nothing but flags. If we ever needed a flag, we always located a local ship chandlers. They would normally have the most common flags, both national ensigns & signal flags, in stock and could get others within a few days.

Yes, the chandler is where the ships would get theirs, we do have a flag store, but it isn't in Portland, its inland about 30 miles, and he has everything.

Heidi should try to go visit there. :)

We had no particular need for buying any flags but enjoyed pocking around the shop. .

If Heidi is in Portland, 30 miles isn't far to go. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Heidi should try to go visit there. :)

We had no particular need for buying any flags but enjoyed pocking around the shop. .

If Heidi is in Portland, 30 miles isn't far to go. :)

Had actually planned to transit through that area this summer when going from SoCal to Newfoundland and then again when heading to Indiana on departure from Newfoundland. We were booked at Freeport Village Campground both times. Planned to visit friends in Yarmouth.

Will definitely be visiting within the next few years and concur, 30 miles is nothing, considering when in the RV our usual trip is > 10,000 miles.