Wine Shops in Venice

cobalt206

We are leaving on a 12 day cruise out of Venice next week. We have always purchased at least 6 bottles of wine on previous Ft Lauderdale Cruises at Total Wine which is very easy and convenient. HAL allows one free bottle and the rest at only $18 corkage per bottle. We have not been to Venice in 17 years but remember it is difficult to navigate and not sure about where to purchase wine and lug back to the hotel. Anybody have experiences doing this? Would love to hear your suggestions.

Cheers

Wine is one thing that is not usually too hard to find in Italy! There is quite a big COOP supermarket near the port, if you want to get your wine just before you get on the ship. There are also many smaller enoteche and supermarkets all over Venice with a good selection of local wines, as well as some from other areas of Italy. Where is your hotel? I can try to pinpoint some nearby shops.

We are leaving on a 12 day cruise out of Venice next week. We have always purchased at least 6 bottles of wine on previous Ft Lauderdale Cruises at Total Wine which is very easy and convenient. HAL allows one free bottle and the rest at only $18 corkage per bottle. We have not been to Venice in 17 years but remember it is difficult to navigate and not sure about where to purchase wine and lug back to the hotel. Anybody have experiences doing this? Would love to hear your suggestions.

Cheers

18$ corkage fee + cost of wine + carry it to-from boat (you do know you need water taxi or Alilaguna boat in Venice to get to port?) and there are no porters to help you . I would not bother :(

you do know you need water taxi or Alilaguna boat in Venice to get to port -Incorrect, it depends on location of hotel.

there are no porters to help you - Incorrect there are porters offering services around train station etc .

I would not bother :(

Incorrect when there are so many wonderful Italian wines available.

We are staying at Hotel Becher. We will arrive to the hotel by water taxi and also go the cruise port via water taxi so I'm not too concerned about lugging six bottles of wine in my wine tote. Hopefully there is a wine shop close to the hotel so I don't have to carry the wine a great distance by foot.

I'm sure we will consume more than 6 bottles in 12 days so we plan on buying some onboard as well. We just prefer nice wines and by purchasing on our own + corkage, we will save several hundred dollars. For those who sail HAL and have done the math, it makes total sense.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions and hope to find something close to our hotel.

Thank you so much for your intel.

There’s a Punto Simply about 10 meters from your hotel. They’d be a good place to start, since they’re close. Millevini is only a seven-minute walk, according to Google Maps. They get a lot of recommendations.

Something I always enjoy in Venice is going round the nearby bars for cicchetti in the evenings. Very similar to tapas. You buy a nice glass of wine (a good chance to sample out the local favourites) and get plates of little snacky things to have with it. It’s easy to spot the good places because they draw a crowd. My favourite cicchetto is a sort of fluffy white pate made from dried salt cod and olive oil. Sounds dreadful, but tastes divine!

Thanks for the tips! I'm a Tapas and seafood fan so we will have to check this out. We're traveling with another couple who are also foodies/winos so should be fun. It'll be our friends first cruise however, so that should be interesting to see how they like cruising. Again, appreciate the thoughtful tips! Ciao.

Something I always enjoy in Venice is going round the nearby bars for cicchetti in the evenings. Very similar to tapas. You buy a nice glass of wine (a good chance to sample out the local favourites) and get plates of little snacky things to have with it. It’s easy to spot the good places because they draw a crowd. My favourite cicchetto is a sort of fluffy white pate made from dried salt cod and olive oil. Sounds dreadful, but tastes divine!