Zodiacs coming to Zaandam?

jakeller

HAL has finally found a use for that little used Wine Bar area!

Why would zodiacs not be allowed in some geographic areas?

That area, when the "S"-class ships first came out, used to be the Java Café coffee bar where you could get free specialty coffees. That went by the wayside in 2003 when the 'Signature of Excellence program No. 1" came about. It brought about the Explorations Café and the Java Café consequently became the "Wine Tasting Bar and Gourmet Shop" where guests could "purchase culinary items including china and silverware from the Pinnacle Grill, as well as HAL Master Chef’s Rudi Sodamin’s cook books." You're correct; hardly ever saw a soul in there. Surprised it lasted this long

Government rules apply. Some coasts, i.e. national parks, are very tightly controlled as to who, and where, one can go

Thanks Copper for your answer. Regarding the "Wine Bar" area, I do fondly recall the Java Cafe. And, when it was converted to its "new use", I never saw any activity whatsoever for whatever purpose on any of the cruises on which I sailed. I recall the Art Auction company's desk was moved close to its location, but the space was still the "Wine Bar", lonely and unused.

Thanks for that info! A heads up: Watch out for Callao, Peru tomorrow! The area outside the port gates is pretty much a ghetto. Don't go wandering outside there please! Taxis to Lima can be had inside the gate via dispatcher (unless you're on a ship/private tour of course)

When I was there on the Zaandam (2017) HAL had a free shuttle to San Miguel shopping area that seemed to be a pretty nice spot. Do you know if that service is no longer offered?

Roy

Thanks for that info! A heads up: Watch out for Callao, Peru tomorrow! The area outside the port gates is pretty much a ghetto. Don't go wandering outside there please! Taxis to Lima can be had inside the gate via dispatcher (unless you're on a ship/private tour of course)

They have provided multiple warnings about Lima - letter to each cabin with very specific advice and every time there is a port lecture for Lima they also emphasize these direct precautions too - we had two on Lima so I expect that means they want to make sure this message gets out to as many people as possible.

We have HAL shore excursions both days - and evening in Lima, but even those were not safe in St Petersburg as the gangs were waiting near the tour busses and I swear they had spotters at the earlier stops to pick out the passengers to hit and their tour bus number at a later stop- DH got ambushed but I started yelling and they ran away (Hey, that seems to be a theme for me - see something, say something.)

Even the shuttle goes only to a very western shopping mall (San Miguel), quite a ways a way from the downtown historic plaza - they warned it is best to stay "south of the river" and to be very careful around the main square - which is so gorgeous and interesting but now seems to have the worst reputation ...besides the Callao port area.

Fingers crossed everyone makes it through this port okay - there are still some terrific things to see that we missed the last time - Larco Museum and the National Archeological Museum - we got hooked on the pre-Inca civilizations and are really anxious to explore these artifacts more in depth over the next few days.

They have provided multiple warnings about Lima - letter to each cabin with very specific advice and every time there is a port lecture for Lima they also emphasize these direct precautions too - we had two on Lima so I expect that means they want to make sure this message gets out to as many people as possible.

We have HAL shore excursions both days - and evening in Lima, but even those were not safe in St Petersburg as the gangs were waiting near the tour busses and I swear they had spotters at the earlier stops to pick out the passengers to hit and their tour bus number at a later stop- DH got ambushed but I started yelling and they ran away (Hey, that seems to be a theme for me - see something, say something.)

Even the shuttle goes only to a very western shopping mall (San Miguel), quite a ways a way from the downtown historic plaza - they warned it is best to stay "south of the river" and to be very careful around the main square - which is so gorgeous and interesting but now seems to have the worst reputation ...besides the Callao port area.

Fingers crossed everyone makes it through this port okay - there are still some terrific things to see that we missed the last time - Larco Museum and the National Archeological Museum - we got hooked on the pre-Inca civilizations and are really anxious to explore these artifacts more in depth over the next few days.

Fingers crossed and good luck! I was on Statendam back in 2013 and was the individual - as security officer - who drafted that warning letter on instructions of the captain and hotel director. Two pax still ignored it, walked outside the gates on some sort of mission, only to get confronted and become the victims of a street robbery by force and fear. Luckily, they sustained no injuries.

Lima, not Callao, has a lot of interesting sites to see and observe (as you already know), Just about every city, incl. the one I reside in, have their "problem areas" as do many port cities around the world. Callao, Peru happens to be one of the "not so good ones" but it's the only way to see Lima from a cruise ship. At any rate, all the best for tomorrow and enjoy Lima!

When I was there on the Zaandam (2017) HAL had a free shuttle to San Miguel shopping area that seemed to be a pretty nice spot. Do you know if that service is no longer offered?

Roy

I do remember that shuttle bus service from Callao to Lima. Should hopefully still be there

Something here doesn't sound quite right to me here. To the best of my knowledge the Antarctic treaty only allows tours off the ship to ships with a CAPACITY of under 400 guests.

Roy

The limit is ships with more than 500 passengers on board, cannot land. The Maasdam could land passengers if the cruise was limited to 500 or less passengers. The limit is not by capacity, but actual number of passengers...

RDC1, thanks for clarifying this matter.(y)(y)(y)

OlsSalt; how was your trip to Lima? Uneventful, I hope. Looks like you have Wed also

We had two wonderful days of HAL shore excursions in this city so all was well - but certainly not a city I would ever choose to do on my own. Demonstrations downtown in Plaza Mayor kept the bus from stopping as we did a city drive-by on our way to the Larco Museum (excellent - "Easy Lima, Larco with a very lovely lunch in the Museum Gardens). There is an election going on right now so the entire city if plastered with signs of the 12 candidates running for this office.

No reports of criminal activities but we just got back. We were greeting with the announcement from the captain the ship is having "electrical problems" and our departure time is now delayed perhaps three hours. Only a short way to go to our next port so we expect to not have any problems with the delay today.

Good this is getting investigated before we start our long run out to the Easter Islands and beyond - not a good destination to expect any extensive port services. This is the first cruise after dry-dock so if the BadFairy is going to show up I hope she does her worst while we are still close to good port services.

Lifeboat #12 got fixed and is now back in location - Lima-Callao is a huge port facility so they used a crane to put her back in place. Indeed the areas around the port entrances look sinister - not sure why anyone would want to explore them -but then ports are ports so there is always some thing to find.

We had two wonderful days of HAL shore excursions in this city so all was well - but certainly not a city I would ever choose to do on my own. Demonstrations downtown in Plaza Mayor kept the bus from stopping as we did a city drive-by on our way to the Larco Museum (excellent - "Easy Lima, Larco with a very lovely lunch in the Museum Gardens). There is an election going on right now so the entire city if plastered with signs of the 12 candidates running for this office.

No reports of criminal activities but we just got back. We were greeting with the announcement from the captain the ship is having "electrical problems" and our departure time is now delayed perhaps three hours. Only a short way to go to our next port so we expect to not have any problems with the delay today.

Good this is getting investigated before we start our long run out to the Easter Islands and beyond - not a good destination to expect any extensive port services. This is the first cruise after dry-dock so if the BadFairy is going to show up I hope she does her worst while we are still close to good port services.

Lifeboat #12 got fixed and is now back in location - Lima-Callao is a huge port facility so they used a crane to put her back in place. Indeed the areas around the port entrances look sinister - not sure why anyone would want to explore them -but then ports are ports so there is always some thing to find.

Good to hear all went well in Lima and thanks for the updates! Good to hear also lifeboat No. 12 is back home where she belongs and is operational

Lots of security in Lima and in Callao, incl the four-legged kind

902895_10152054311240729_408337269_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=b235f50b87531e7ecb035ea9209da215&oe=5C2A7424

1397490_10152049326225729_1470402580_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=d65961795df130e349c11e7955693404&oe=5C23B4F6