Riviera cruise from Rome to Barcelona

ak1004

We did a couple massage and VAT was added to the invoice. So I know for sure that spa services are subject to VAT.

Not sure about excursions since we purchased the package online before the cruise (and did not pay the VAT), but I will ask.

Weather is excellent so far. However, they already cancelled Calvi port due to sea conditions, and today they cancelled Antibes port scheduled for tomorrow and replaced it with Toulon. They say they cannot operate the tender safely due to sea conditions.

btw, evening show today was excellent (guest musician Oli Nez).

We did a couple massage and VAT was added to the invoice. So I know for sure that spa services are subject to VAT.

What % is the VAT ?

I have read it is 22% that on top of the 18% gratuity O charges makes it an expensive spa day

Thanks for the information on the spa services being taxed. So that would make DH’s sports massage go from $245 to $341 with the 18 percent automatic gratuity and the 18 percent VAT. Gotta really want that massage!!!

I think everyone doing a similar itinerary would be interested if excursions are included! Looking forward to what you find out.

Our cruise is a B2B and our only tender port is Portofino. Hope they don’t cancel that port due to rough seas because they did it once before! We made port in Genoa instead.

Our cruise is scheduled to stop in Toulon. I’d be interested in what you think of your day there.

We found Toulon not to be a great port to visit, basically is a large French city that is a major naval port, it is not really a tourist spot. If I went again I would probably do a tour. We were docked in the centre of the town, but sometimes they have to use the cruise port which is about 5 miles out. You can check on the Toulon Port website to find which you are in.

We found Toulon not to be a great port to visit, basically is a large French city that is a major naval port, it is not really a tourist spot. If I went again I would probably do a tour. We were docked in the centre of the town, but sometimes they have to use the cruise port which is about 5 miles out. You can check on the Toulon Port website to find which you are in.

We actually liked Toulon. We did the little land train tour, which was interesting. Then pottered around the old quarter. Maybe not an amazing, wonderful place, but very pleasant.

AK1004, since you are on the ship currently, why don’t you go down to guest services and inquire about the tax and how it is applied? I’m on hold with Oceania and the agent insists there is no VAT applied on their ships. He has been putting me on and off hold for 30 minutes getting clarification from other departments and supervisors. He comes back online and keeps telling me there is no VAT while on their ships.

The agent just came back on the phone and said he googled this and found out that I was correct—that there is a VAT collected by ships. He said he and his colleagues learned something today. But, he said he does not know if spa services and excursions are included in the VAT tax.

So, AK1004, if you are not busy in “Stitch and Bitch” or shuffleboard or Baggo bean toss, could you please ask if spa services and excursions are included in the VAT tax?

Have a great day! We are doing your same itinerary in a few weeks on Nautica, one of Oceania’s smaller ships.

Hope the weather is good for you and for us!!!

So I just went to reception and they confirmed that 22% Italian tax applies to everything purchased on board, including spa, but not excursions.

However, I just checked my spa receipt and the amount is $160 for the massage plus 18% SC (28.80) but no tax. There is a separate receipt for a product we purchased in the spa, and this one has the 22% tax. So now I'm totally confused.

In any case, we were not too impressed by the massage. It was okay, but I had much better massages at lower prices. We take massage almost on every cruise we go and this one was probably the least impressive.

I agree. The least impressive from all ports we visited so far. It's a nice little town, but there are a lot of homeless, and some areas feel not very safe.

So I just went to reception and they confirmed that 22% Italian tax applies to everything purchased on board, including spa, but not excursions.

However, I just checked my spa receipt and the amount is $160 for the massage plus 18% SC (28.80) but no tax. There is a separate receipt for a product we purchased in the spa, and this one has the 22% tax. So now I'm totally confused.

Maybe the VAT is on products not services :confused:

The last time we were in this situation, we were told exactly that—products, not services, would be taxed. I called the Canyon Ranch/Oceania phone number yesterday and the lady who answered said we would definitely be taxed on both services and products. But, you said you weren’t taxed on the massages and since you’ve actually experienced this onboard, I’m going with your response. The P&O link you attached regarding the VAT was very clear. Thanks for that.

Thanks for checking on the excursions. Good to know that they’re not taxed. Booking a tour in Toulon seems to be a good idea.

What other ports do you have?

Have you had time to enjoy coffee and pastries up at Barista’s? Have they grilled fresh fish out back in Terrace?

The last time we were in this situation, we were told exactly that—products, not services, would be taxed. I called the Canyon Ranch/Oceania phone number yesterday and the lady who answered said we would definitely be taxed on both services and products. But, you said you weren’t taxed on the massages and since you’ve actually experienced this onboard, I’m going with your response. The P&O link you attached regarding the VAT was very clear. Thanks for that.

Thanks for checking on the excursions. Good to know that they’re not taxed. Booking a tour in Toulon seems to be a good idea.

What other ports do you have?

Have you had time to enjoy coffee and pastries up at Barista’s? Have they grilled fresh fish out back in Terrace?

This is actually in line with P&O link:

"Italian 22% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from an Italian port."

This Our next ports are Marseille, Palamos (replaces Roses), Palma De Mallorca and Valencia.

Yes, coffee at Barista’s is very good. Overall I would say the selection of places to eat is relatively limited (for example, nothing is open after 9:30pm), but the quality is really amazing.

I’d be interested in your thoughts on Valencia. We booked the oceanographic center tour but I’m a bit interested in the Lladro factory tour also.

I agree that even being able to enjoy a dessert after 9:30 would be nice. Sometimes, after the evening entertainment, we would go get a tea or coffee from the machine up at the Terrace. We know others who would get a dessert to go at the buffet and put it in their cabin for a late night snack. But such things should be readily available until at least 11 pm or midnight. Put that on your comment card!

Today's show was Broadway songs by the production cast and was actually very good. But the venue is constantly half empty, maybe 40% of the seats filled. Surprising.

I guess we're in that group who, if they want Broadway songs, book a cruise that starts/ends in NYC and spends extra days doing actual Broadway.

Palamos cancelled fue yo strong winds. Going to Palma de mayorka tomorrow for overnight stay.

3 ports cancelled out of 9.

In all fairness I did see on the news this morning that there is a Medicane in that area, maybe further east. Weatherman called it a cross between a Mediterranean storm and a hurricane.

In all fairness I did see on the news this morning that there is a Medicane in that area, maybe further east. Weatherman called it a cross between a Mediterranean storm and a hurricane.

This is probably true. But instead of sea day they could go to Nice or extra day in Monaco. Yesterday they could do another port instead of Toulon and maybe stay an extra day in Marseille instead of 2 days in Plams de Mallorca.

This is probably true. But instead of sea day they could go to Nice or extra day in Monaco. Yesterday they could do another port instead of Toulon and maybe stay an extra day in Marseille instead of 2 days in Plams de Mallorca.

It is not as simple as you make it sound

They cannot just pull into another port not like driving your car & just go to another town

You are fortunate to get another port instead of a sea day

It is not as simple as you make it sound

They cannot just pull into another port not like driving your car & just go to another town

You are fortunate to get another port instead of a sea day

I understand. And I wish we could do an extra day in Marseille. It is a very colorful and attractive port and we had a nice tour. Just not enough time.

Hopefully Palma de Mallorca will be worth the extra day stay.

Piece of advice: if you take a half day tour and have an option if first half or second half take the first half. You then can stay in the city or return and see what you missed.

Palamos cancelled fue yo strong winds. Going to Palma de mayorka tomorrow for overnight stay.

3 ports cancelled out of 9.

Sorry to hear about another skipped port. Must be some weather you’re dealing with! We’re going to be on a B2B on one of Oceania’s smaller ships in a little over a week from now in the same area you are cruising. Are you experiencing rough seas and lots of motion on the ship? A week or so ago I was looking at the extended forecast for our ports. Sunny. Then, a few days ago I looked again and I was surprised to see rain in a number of places. Our cruise is scheduled for 16 ports in 17 days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We’ve been to Palma de Mallorca twice. It’s a nice place and you could fill up two days with lots to see.

Once, we were on Marina, Riviera’s sister ship, and we could see our port. The tenders went down. The tenders came up. The waters were a bit rough and if the wind picked up while we were on shore, we would not be able to get back on the ship. So we totally skipped the port and the cruise director had to scramble to prepare for an unplanned sea day with lots of activities for a disappointed group.

We don't feel the ship movement at all. It is my understanding that tender ports were cancelled due to unsafe conditions for tenders. Which i can completely understand. Not sure why Palamos was canceled.

Weather is actually perfect do far. No single rain day. Temperatures mostly around 23-25, except for Rome which was above 30.

What kind of activities they have on Oceania on cruises with nany sea days? Like Caribbean?

If I understand your question, you are asking what kind of activities do they have when there are lots of sea days. They would usually have bridge instructors with lessons in the morning and bridge play in the afternoon. They would have two lecturers vs one. They would have culinary demonstrations. They’d have their country fair. Needlepoint.

On a port intensive itinerary, they would have all the activities (golf putting, Baggo, shuffleboard, etc.) listed earlier in this thread. And, they would usually run specials in the spa.

I’m glad to hear that you aren’t dealing with rain.