Do cruise ships have a brig?

Not all ships have morgues. I was on a ship where one of the elderly single passengers died. They had to put her in a body bag and pack it with ice. Since the ice was used to freeze ice cream, that afternoon they had a big ice cream party on deck to use it up. Now, when we see ice cream being served, we wonder who died.

When we were getting off, we arranged to stay on later for a meeting. I went back to my cabin just as the funeral home came by to get the body. The guy who came for her was knocking on her door. I asked if he really thought someone would answer! Those funeral director don't have a sense of humor. We need to put the FUN back in funeral, obviously.

Interesting topic..hope you don't mind me hopping in..I was aware of brig on a ship..but..did you know there is also a MORGUE onboard a ship!! Don;t even want to go there as to why it is necessary...have fun with this topic.

The old Queen Mary (the one permanently docked next to the PARADISE and the PRIDE in Long Beach) left port with 29 coffins every time she started her world tour back in the day. People die at sea, just like they do on land.

You wanna know what's scary about your statement? DH said the same thing! Have you been talking to him?

Not that I'm aware of. But you know what they say about "Great Minds".

Now. Just replace "Great" with "Warped" and you'll probably have the answer. ;) :D :D

One of the people who work on the Conquest told me that people who are terminally ill often will sail as it is a kinda final thing they'd like to do and many die while onboard. So apparently this is not uncommon so a morgue makes sense.

When I was on the Paradise a man beat the crap out of his wife and he was thrown in the brig. At the next port he was asked to get off the ship and his wife chose to leave with him, go figure.

Aslo I witnessed on the Paradise a family of four where the teen son was caught smoking and they put the whole family off in San Juan I believe it was. I was truly shocked.

But you know what they say about "Great Minds".

Know what they say in the Navy. "A mine is a terrible thing to waste"

In the theartre "A mime is a terrible thing to waste?

"Great minds think alike" means that great people think about things in similar ways

from

http://www.goenglish.com/GreatMindsThinkAlike.asp

Not all ships have morgues. I was on a ship where one of the elderly single passengers died. They had to put her in a body bag and pack it with ice. Since the ice was used to freeze ice cream, that afternoon they had a big ice cream party on deck to use it up. Now, when we see ice cream being served, we wonder who died.

Or....you could stick them in a galley refrigerator..:eek:

I'd rather the ship have a morgue.

• 1 year later...
We had a client placed in the brig once on a four-night sailing for drunk and disorderly and being abusive to staff. Once she sobered up she was told she could be released if she promised to behave but she wouldn't agree to that so they kept her in for 2 days until the ship reached home. Her husband was told they would let her out if he would be responsible for her but he told them to keep her locked up -- he said he was having more fun without her. We received word from the cruise line that they would not be accepted as guests in the future so don't bother booking them again.

Isn't that lovely.

• 5 years later...

While the brig is bad enough (no you don't get to order off the menu, nor get room service, nor a credit), it at least is a room. The morgue is simply two refrigerated drawers.

Even without a brig, some guests end up being confined to their cabin with a security officer outside 24/7.

I know that NCL hires Ghurkas as security, and I believe that most cruise lines do. You can tell by the curved knife blade emblem on their shoulder boards. The Ghurkas are Nepalese people who have traditionally hired themselves to the British Army. They are not people to mess with, as I've seen an 80 pound woman Ghurka take down a 300 lb ***hole with one pressure hold.

In Hawaii, I would say that we had about one drunk and disorderly every other cruise. Really strange what goes on when folks get on a ship. I remember the 75 year old man who just turned around in the buffet line and clocked his wife of 40+ years. Never did find out why. He was debarked at the next port, but she was asked if she wanted to finish the cruise. She got off as well.

but..did you know there is also a MORGUE onboard a ship!! Don;t even want to go there as to why it is necessary...have fun with this topic.

That isn't surprising. I bet a fair number of people die on cruise ships. Many of just natural causes. Probably a few of alcohol poisioning.

While the brig is bad enough (no you don't get to order off the menu, nor get room service, nor a credit), it at least is a room. The morgue is simply two refrigerated drawers.

Even without a brig, some guests end up being confined to their cabin with a security officer outside 24/7.

I know that NCL hires Ghurkas as security, and I believe that most cruise lines do. You can tell by the curved knife blade emblem on their shoulder boards. The Ghurkas are Nepalese people who have traditionally hired themselves to the British Army. They are not people to mess with, as I've seen an 80 pound woman Ghurka take down a 300 lb ***hole with one pressure hold.

In Hawaii, I would say that we had about one drunk and disorderly every other cruise. Really strange what goes on when folks get on a ship. I remember the 75 year old man who just turned around in the buffet line and clocked his wife of 40+ years. Never did find out why. He was debarked at the next port, but she was asked if she wanted to finish the cruise. She got off as well.

GREAT INFORMATION! Thank you so much. I can use this. I had no idea how to confine my suspect on board ship until they got to port. While my book (Death Among the Deckchairs) is fiction, I do need to make it believable. Thanks again.

I was once told by a crew member that each ship has a brig but that it is mostly used for those people who are charged with: Chair Hogging (leaving personal items on deck chairs for hours), Nose Snubbing (looking down one's nose at those not dressed for formal night), Buffet Line Eating (those that go through the buffet line picking out food and eating it as they move along), Improper Bathing Suit Wearing (300 lbs squeezed into speedo), Elevator Rule Violations (not waiting for people to exit before entering, farting on elevator and giving another that "you did it look"), Passage Way Violation (passing others in the passage way and not responding to their greetings).

There were several other violations but I can't remember them right now. :D :D

Archived