First time on HAL

Batchy65

Hello. Next May, four of us will sail on HAL for the first time, we will be sailing in Alaska, also for the first time, via Vancouver. We were considering the signature drinks package which on the face of it looks expensive, considering the website says that all parties in the stateroom have to purchase one. However, we do like a drink, we're Brits after all, but I wondered what was your experience for those who have been on HAL previously. Further to the above could anybody please advise what the average price of a beer, glass of wine or G&T would be if we didn't buy the package.

Are there any must do speciality restaurants we should eat in, we are travelling on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Any information about the ship would be welcome.

Thanks to you all.

We have been on the NA 3 times and will be again in 6 weeks. We don't drink enough to purchase a beverage package, so for us, it seems very expensive. We just order a drink or wine when we want it and works out fine for us.

We love the NA. We find it just the right size for us. I don't think I'd like a huge cruise ship. We've stayed in a Signature, a Neptune and a balcony and this trip will be a Signature again.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you'll love it.

Agree that Tamarind is definitely a must do on the ships that have that venue. We always do the Pinnacle Grill at least once as well.

We have the SBP for the first time on our upcoming Eurodam sailing (with the X4 promo), so we'll find out how it works for us very soon! ;):D

Hello. Next May, four of us will sail on HAL for the first time, we will be sailing in Alaska, also for the first time, via Vancouver. We were considering the signature drinks package which on the face of it looks expensive, considering the website says that all parties in the stateroom have to purchase one. However, we do like a drink, we're Brits after all, but I wondered what was your experience for those who have been on HAL previously. Further to the above could anybody please advise what the average price of a beer, glass of wine or G&T would be if we didn't buy the package.

Are there any must do speciality restaurants we should eat in, we are travelling on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Any information about the ship would be welcome.

Thanks to you all.

Is the HAL Explore 4 promotion that is going on now in the US available to you over in the UK?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/explore4.html

If so and it makes economical sense to do it, why don't you see if you can "refare" your cruise to include the promotion. It took us 4 cruises before we figured out we could do that. However, in the UK I don't what rules apply.

Being another "non US resident" I found the Signature Beerage package with Explore4 different than on the website (I did the conversion to US).

It doesn't take many drinks to break even -waters, cappucinos and few beers or drinks.

You just need to do the math and you can figure out if it is worth it for you or not.

Have a great time on your cruise :)

Do agree with others, the Tamarind restaurant is a must -- Pan Asian food is delicious.

We also like to have pre dinner cocktails and after dinner drinks in the Silk Den -- great views from here.

We also do not find the Beverage Package worth it to us as we do not drink a lot. The Beverage Package does not cover bottles of wine and there are times we like a GOOD bottle of wine with dinner -- not the cheaper wines by the glass.

After YEARS of pooh-poohing the SBP on Cruise Critic, we had it courtesy of Explore4 and it was very nice! Also, recalculation of what we actually do drink makes it a "draw" for the pre-cruise purchase price of $44.95pp/day (US price). For us that's a couple lattes, a couple boat drinks, and 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner. If we also have a drink or two while listening to the Piano Man, we're in the black!

Whether the cruise is many sea-day vs port-intensive might make a difference, but it was very pleasant to be able to order almost anything (by the glass) without hearing the mental cash register 'ding'.