Ordering wine/spirits for our suite

blondietoo

On our first Regent cruise, in our non-butler room, I asked the steward for Bloody Mary fixings; mix and a liter bottle of Absolut were in the room that day.  As Travelcat said, prepare to be spoiled.

Apérol is already on my Butler Request list along with Prosecco to make it!!   I cannot imagine running out of it and now will double the order.  Thanks for the "heads up" irishwitchy!!

For anyone who hasn't tried an Apérol spritz - give it a go!!  It is divine...

(as an aside - we were on a TA on Riviera (Oceania) in 2015  and in a bar I asked for an Apérol Spritz.  No Apérol on board was the answer.   I talked to the Head Barman about it.  Told him that in Europe Apérol was already "THE" drink for the summer and they were heading to Europe for the summer season.  he thanked me.  Then stopped me two days later to tell me he had "spoken with HQ" and cases of Apérol would be waiting for them in Barcelona!!  Wise man...)

On 3/12/2019 at 1:13 AM, Hambagahle said:

Apérol is already on my Butler Request list along with Prosecco to make it!!   I cannot imagine running out of it and now will double the order.  Thanks for the "heads up" irishwitchy!!

For anyone who hasn't tried an Apérol spritz - give it a go!!  It is divine...

(as an aside - we were on a TA on Riviera (Oceania) in 2015  and in a bar I asked for an Apérol Spritz.  No Apérol on board was the answer.   I talked to the Head Barman about it.  Told him that in Europe Apérol was already "THE" drink for the summer and they were heading to Europe for the summer season.  he thanked me.  Then stopped me two days later to tell me he had "spoken with HQ" and cases of Apérol would be waiting for them in Barcelona!!  Wise man...)

Had my first Aperol spritz onboard Explorer a week ago and it was really a nice drink (actually, my DH ordered it and I drank it.....)

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Had my first Aperol spritz onboard Explorer a week ago and it was really a nice drink (actually, my DH ordered it and I drank it.....)

We LIVE on those here in the spring, summer and autumn.   Two years ago we noticed that one of our local restaurants bar had one bottle of gin, whiskey, rum etc.  and EIGHT bottles of Apérol.  That about says it all!!  Santé!

Question as I have never tried an Aperol spritz: is it a sweet drink, because I don’t like those at all.  About the only mixed drinks I will drink are a bloody Amry, a margarita without the sweet and sour and a monitor without the simple syrup.

No - it is not sweet.  If it were I wouldn't drink it.   It is like Campari (made by the same company in Italy) and instead of whatever Campari tastes of (!) it tastes a bit orange.  Sort of bitter orange.  You mix it with Prosecco and some people add a splash of soda water.  (Personally I prefer just prosecco or even champagne!)   It is the most refreshing drink I know and I love one after 18 holes of golf.  (Should also say that here in Switzerland you walk your 18 holes unless you are ill!)   Try it Rachel.  I am sure you will like it!

Although we both like Aperol Spritz, our go-to refreshing summer drink is Campari with Tonic, sometimes with a dash of Gin.

Despite being made with similar ingredients, Campari is stronger and more bitter than Aperol.

This article on the background of the drinks is interesting.

Edited by flossie009