Still waiting on room assignment

Mama Mona Lisa

My family and I are cruising on the Carnival Sunshine in December. I called and was informed that the cruise was sold out and yet cannot be given a room assignment. They stated that it provably would not be given until the day of the cruise. My fear is that when we arrive at the port, we won't have a room available.

What to do?  Help!

Don't worry about not having a room. If everyone shows up, and they are fuller than full, they will throw a futon on the bridge for the Captain, you'll get his suite. 

The last time that happened was never but they never leave a paid guest on the pier. You will be fine, and love the cruise. 

Out of 46 cruises, we have only done guaranteed reservations twice and didn't receive our cabin assignments until we arrived at the ports. The luggage handlers had a copy of the manifest and they looked up our assignment and filled out the luggage tags and we boarded the ships. There will probably be no shows on embarkation day and you may even receive an upgrade. I wouldn't worry about it, just go and enjoy your cruise.

OK, here's the worst case scenario.  Comes a couple of weeks before the cruise, and you get an e-mail or a call that they would like you to move to another date.  Often you'll be offered a better cabin on that cruise, and a big discount on a future cruise.  If you don't take it, they will work on down the line, offering better and better perks to passengers who will agree to give up their sailing.  Eventually, someone will get a really nice suite and another free cruise for moving, and they'll do it.

You will have a room in the class you paid for, or better.

You will not receive a 'porthole' cabin unless that is the level of cabin your guarantee calls for.  Even then it is more likely that you will have a cabin that is 2 or 3 classes higher than you paid for.

Went on a 24 day Oceania Amazon cruise on a guarantee basis. Small ship.  I did not get any information about my cabin until 2 days before sailing.  Frustrating but yes, you can get your cabin assignment up to the date of sailing. It will  always be in the same class, or higher . On that note, Have a great cruise. 

30 minutes ago, riclop said:

You will have a room but not one you may want.

Well, if you want a specific room, pay for it.

To give the OP some comfort, 'typically' guaranty room are assigned roughly 2-4 weeks prior to the cruise.  You'll notice when you sign in to your booking online.  There's even a thread on here somewhere where folks track their experiences.  And as others have said, you are guaranteed to get a cabin at least as good as you signed up for.  So if you did an OV GTY, they can't stick you in an inside.  But they can assign you to a Balcony.  MOST of the time, you'll get exactly what you signed up for and pay somewhat less than the travelers to your left and right on the same hallway.

We've done GTY cabins for probably 50% of our cruises, typically in the OV category.  When we get a Balc, we prefer to make a direct selection.  Relax and enjoy.

Edited by jsglow