Christmas Market questions - Danube

Coral

This will be my first Christmas Market cruise on the Danube.

I usually don't spend much money on trips - I take pictures for souvenirs but the Christmas Markets do intrigue me and will see myself spending money on food and possibly other Christmas gifts.  On average - how much have you spent at the Christmas Markets? I know that is a very subjective question.  I also know I need to bring cash for most things. Trying to figure out how much cash to get.

Secondly - I am thinking of skipping excursions to spend time at the markets. It looks like night time is really pretty - do you have a preference over what time is better (day or night - or both). While some of my excursions say "visit xyz and then Christmas markets" - I don't know how much time they have allocated to seeing them.

For those who have gone during this time - any advice you can offer? Thanks in advance. I have more time in Vienna than the other ports so I expect to see most of the markets there but hope to make time in Salzburg and some other places.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I usually don't spend much money on trips - I take pictures for souvenirs but the Christmas Markets do intrigue me and will see myself spending money on food and possibly other Christmas gifts.  On average - how much have you spent at the Christmas Markets? I know that is a very subjective question.  I also know I need to bring cash for most things. Trying to figure out how much cash to get.

There is no need to 'bring cash' – if you have a debit card without foreign transaction charges or ATM charges.  Several banks offer such cards, including (based on my experience) Schwab.  I just go to any Bank ATM anywhere and get the cash I need for the next few days – and any fees are refunded on my next monthly statement.

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There is no need to 'bring cash' – if you have a debit card without foreign transaction charges or ATM charges.  Several banks offer such cards, including (based on my experience) Schwab.  I just go to any Bank ATM anywhere and get the cash I need for the next few days – and any fees are refunded on my next monthly statement.

Thanks - my debit card does charge a transaction fee. At this point - I don't have much time to open up a new account with Schwab and transfer money so I will just bring some Euros and if I need more, pay the ATM fee.  I bank with Wells Fargo.

Are you planning to come back to Europe again? Then why not get a couple of hundred Euros, if you don't spend them this time you can use them in the future? If you want to buy anything over about 20 euros in a market I think the stall will have a credit card machine. Certainly in Stockholm we had 0 krona, just a credit card, and we only missed out 1 gluhwein who wouldn't take a credit card.

We are only taking the excursions when we can't walk around ourselves - eg Nuremburg where the ship docks nowhere near the town centre so the excursion is the easiest way in and out.

We always go to our local Christmas Market (Passau) at night with friends. It is much more cosy standing around a fire, bitterly cold, glühwein (white) in one hand and a half meter würst in the other. Then a hot schnapps for the digestion.

Food and drink stalls will only take cash, too busy for credit cards. Souvenir / local product stalls will normally take credit cards (mostly VISA and Mastercard).

Enjoy your time there.

Thank you. This is my 2nd time to Europe this year but I didn't use Euros on my first trip. I don't think I will use Euros on my next trip either.

I appreciate the feedback. I think it would be fun at night with the Christmas lights, etc...

I am going to Munich the day we are in Passau and it is a 12 hour excursion so I probably won't be able to see the markets in Passau.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

We always go to our local Christmas Market (Passau) at night with friends. It is much more cosy standing around a fire, bitterly cold, glühwein (white) in one hand and a half meter würst in the other. Then a hot schnapps for the digestion.

Sounds great!

We have a Capital One money market acct for our vacation savings acct, no/low ATM fees - and our local bank rates are terrible for money exchange AND never have any on hand. I'd FAR rather spend the $3 or whatever and use my ATM card when traveling for the cash I need. Given the better exchange rate, I probably come out even or better 😉

I don't buy souvenirs except an ornament and then food or drug store items. So when we went on a Christmas Markets river cruise, we got 200euro or so at the start of the trip and that covered our beer & wurst in the markets, the ceramic ornament we bought (I think in Rudesheim, and it was 10E or less).  I bought some seasonings at market stalls (1-4E) and some sachets (1E each - great stocking stuffers - that was unusual for me because we don't do holiday gifts with anyone - but I couldn't pass up cheap, cute & easy to pack, so.....)

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

We have a Capital One money market acct for our vacation savings acct, no/low ATM fees - and our local bank rates are terrible for money exchange AND never have any on hand. I'd FAR rather spend the $3 or whatever and use my ATM card when traveling for the cash I need. Given the better exchange rate, I probably come out even or better 😉

I don't buy souvenirs except an ornament and then food or drug store items. So when we went on a Christmas Markets river cruise, we got 200euro or so at the start of the trip and that covered our beer & wurst in the markets, the ceramic ornament we bought (I think in Rudesheim, and it was 10E or less).  I bought some seasonings at market stalls (1-4E) and some sachets (1E each - great stocking stuffers - that was unusual for me because we don't do holiday gifts with anyone - but I couldn't pass up cheap, cute & easy to pack, so.....)

Thank you! I am not a big souvenir shopper either but the markets do intrigue me!

On 10/23/2018 at 8:40 PM, Coral said:

Secondly - I am thinking of skipping excursions to spend time at the markets. It looks like night time is really pretty - do you have a preference over what time is better (day or night - or both). While some of my excursions say "visit xyz and then Christmas markets" - I don't know how much time they have allocated to seeing them.

For those who have gone during this time - any advice you can offer? Thanks in advance. I have more time in Vienna than the other ports so I expect to see most of the markets there but hope to make time in Salzburg and some other places.

We had a GREAT time but purchased almost nothing. 

It is prettiest after dark, but it will get dark at 4:30 or so. We got lots of nighttime Christmas market viewing while still going to dinner on the ship every night. I don’t think we ever went back after dinner. 

D49DE288-BCB9-437F-B90B-60E09D9C89B3.jpeg

EE9120DD-FB54-4F4F-A16C-F58863467584.jpeg

9E49BCEF-698A-44FF-BC25-2CF46CDF8279.jpeg

AEA8EBF6-9D18-45AD-B699-209597289BEF.jpeg

We purchased a few ornaments for friends and also brought home some of the prettiest gluwein cups as well as a bottle of palinka. We fortunately had packed some bubble wrap for this purpose and it definitely came in handy. 

Have a great time!! We're looking forward to our cruise as well!

7 hours ago, steverhodes said:

We had a GREAT time but purchased almost nothing. 

It is prettiest after dark, but it will get dark at 4:30 or so. We got lots of nighttime Christmas market viewing while still going to dinner on the ship every night. I don’t think we ever went back after dinner. 

Stunning pictures - I am excited.

3 hours ago, bubbulz said:

We purchased a few ornaments for friends and also brought home some of the prettiest gluwein cups as well as a bottle of palinka. We fortunately had packed some bubble wrap for this purpose and it definitely came in handy. 

Have a great time!! We're looking forward to our cruise as well!

Thank you - have a great trip also!

I have done Christmas market tours and find that you have ample time to see the markets during an included tours. You can always leave the included tour early as long as you tell the guide. The market in Vienna (best food choices) and Salzburg (best overall selection) are the nicest. This year going to Munich and Nuremburg markets since we love this time of year in Germany. Since it gets dark early you will love the markets with the lights and decorations.

2 minutes ago, Begete said:

When do the Christmas markets begin. I think we may be early...November 9 - 22.

What kind of things do they sell?

he start varies from market to market, but normally from Thurdays or Fridayy before the 1st. Advent.

Sell red / white glühwein, 1/2 meter wurst, schnapps, christmas decorations other items from local craftmen.

2 hours ago, Begete said:

When do the Christmas markets begin. I think we may be early...November 9 - 22.

What kind of things do they sell?

You need to google each city. For example - Vienna:

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-do/skiing-and-winter/christmas-markets/christmas-markets-in-vienna

Salzburg: https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-do/skiing-and-winter/christmas-markets/christmas-markets-in-salzburg  

Budapest: http://budapestchristmas.com/budapest-christmas-markets 

Edited by Coral