nobody asked me but

burtshell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since my wife and i are going on the jewel in oct. i decided to post this for the ncl crowd. this was posted on a few message boards last year and the response was fantastic.

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy Cannon was a sportswriter for the new york post in the 1940's-60's. every now and then he would write a column called "nobody asked me but". for example-i would not have a "bald"barber cut my hair.

here are some of my"nobody asked me but" for cruising.

please feel free to add and or comment. i have thick skin.

burtshell

1-i do not care who the cruise director is

2-i do not care who the captain of the ship is

3-late seating is too late and early seating is too early

4-i do not like "baked alaska"

5-there should be escalators on ships

6-why do people eat the scrambled prepared eggs at the buffet instead of the ready to order eggs.

7-going to your dinning room table the 1st night is like going on a "blind date"

8-the two most important people on the ship will be your waiter and cabin steward.

9-safes that require a credit card are ridiculous

10-in general the "brits" are more formal dressers than americans

11-i love to read comments written by the fashion police,especially the one where they told a cruiser that sneakers are not allowed on embarkation night

12-the escargot appetizer is great

13-desserts look better than they taste

14-european cruises are more exciting than caribbean ones

15-we always eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet area

16-my wife does not gain any weight on cruises

17-a sad sight is when you see the luggage lined up in the hall the night before disembarkation

18-i really enjoy talking to the 'brits" regarding the "blitz"

19-the over-the-door-shoe-bag is a wonderful thing to bring

20-the budget for lightbulbs in inside cabins must be very high

21-the first thing we do on embarkation day is to go to the library then the buffet

22-it took 3 cruises to find out who the "friends of bill w" were

23-where can i get an "egg cream" on the ship

24-why is ice coffee not as popular as ice tea

25-why do kilts take the place of a tuxedo and not a pair of short pants

26-why do the women,not the men,always select the seating in the theater

27-the best entertainment,other then a "big"production show was "barty brown" on princess

28-the best buffet luncheon was on the carnival spirt"s panama canal cruise

29-i never asked anyone what they paid for their cruise

30-the funniest line i heard on a cruise was on a day where the ship was rocking and rolling,someone yelled out "will the honeymoon couples cut it out"

my wife and i were on about 40+ cruises and never had a bad cruise.

please add,comment or state anything regarding the above.

happy cruising

burtshell

I agree with all of your thoughts except I think you are missing out by not eating in the dining room for breakfast. It's one of my favorite things. And, basically I try to avoid the buffets, a quick snack here or there is fine but I don't like any of the buffet food enough to waste the calories on.

So, since I like your opinions, just for fun, can you tell us what is your favorite ship, or cruise line? Which itinerary do you like cruising best?

cafe rose

you can take the kid out of brooklyn but you cant take brooklyn out of the kid.

born in brooklyn

lived in bellmore, long island

now we are retired and live in boynton beach,florida

Bay Ridge Brooklyn gal myself and still love those egg creams!

Live upstate now.

I don't care when Bingo is either.

I don't ever want to buy anything by the inch.

I definitely don't care who the CD is.

I have no problem with you reserving deck chairs.

I like seeing kids ride the elevators.

hi,

glad you are enjoying the "list"

to-fsunole- there is no #33

re: friends of dorothy- someone thought that they were a group of people from kansas-you know the wizard of oz.

vyhanek- our favorite ship-that's hard to say. in our 40+ cruises we only sailed one ship twice and that was the royal princess. every ship has its good and not too good points. one of favorite cruises was on the stella maris. ship looked like a tug boat but we had a great time due to the passengers.

we do not pick a ship or cruise line first

we first decide where we want to go(itinerary)

then we see what ships are doing that itinerary.

we then look at the dates.

next is the price.

then we pick the ship.

our last 5 cruises have been on celebrity and princess.

my wife's favorite itinerary was sailing north from london to the northern most point in norway on the royal princess.

i do not have a favorite. just like to cruise...........

take care

burtshell

burt and shelley

why is Freestyle such a hard concept for some cruisers to grasp? It's no different than going out to dinner on land.

I don't know why I've always gone into this long-winded explanation abut what freestyle is when someone asks me, you've summed it up great!:)

ps: great thread burtshell!

an egg cream

does not contain eggs or cream........

it is a new york drink that is found in candy stores on every block in the 5 boroughs. at least 50 years ago.

here it is...............

take a cold glass

put a bissel(a small amount) of chocolate syrup and milk and stir. as you stir you pour seltzer(please do not ask what seltzer is) into the glass. the ideal way to do this is to have the seltzer come off the spoon into the glass. this creates the foamy head.

you can use vanilla syrup instead of chocolate and you have a vanilla egg cream or use coffee syrup and you have a coffee egg cream.

whatever you do do not ask for an egg cream in any of the red states. they just are not aware of this delicious drink.

as an aside,do not eat a corned beef sandwich with milk.

take care

burtshell

burtshell....it was sooo nice to see the word bisell(i didn't need a translation) on this site moved from bklyn-new jersey-orlando ..still make our own egg creams with foxs u-bet syrup...looking forward to hawaii cruise 3/11/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since my wife and i are going on the jewel in oct. i decided to post this for the ncl crowd. this was posted on a few message boards last year and the response was fantastic.

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy Cannon was a sportswriter for the new york post in the 1940's-60's. every now and then he would write a column called "nobody asked me but". for example-i would not have a "bald"barber cut my hair.

here are some of my"nobody asked me but" for cruising.

please feel free to add and or comment. i have thick skin.

burtshell

1-i do not care who the cruise director is

2-i do not care who the captain of the ship is

3-late seating is too late and early seating is too early

4-i do not like "baked alaska"

5-there should be escalators on ships

6-why do people eat the scrambled prepared eggs at the buffet instead of the ready to order eggs.

7-going to your dinning room table the 1st night is like going on a "blind date"

8-the two most important people on the ship will be your waiter and cabin steward.

9-safes that require a credit card are ridiculous

10-in general the "brits" are more formal dressers than americans

11-i love to read comments written by the fashion police,especially the one where they told a cruiser that sneakers are not allowed on embarkation night

12-the escargot appetizer is great

13-desserts look better than they taste

14-european cruises are more exciting than caribbean ones

15-we always eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet area

16-my wife does not gain any weight on cruises

17-a sad sight is when you see the luggage lined up in the hall the night before disembarkation

18-i really enjoy talking to the 'brits" regarding the "blitz"

19-the over-the-door-shoe-bag is a wonderful thing to bring

20-the budget for lightbulbs in inside cabins must be very high

21-the first thing we do on embarkation day is to go to the library then the buffet

22-it took 3 cruises to find out who the "friends of bill w" were

23-where can i get an "egg cream" on the ship

24-why is ice coffee not as popular as ice tea

25-why do kilts take the place of a tuxedo and not a pair of short pants

26-why do the women,not the men,always select the seating in the theater

27-the best entertainment,other then a "big"production show was "barty brown" on princess

28-the best buffet luncheon was on the carnival spirt"s panama canal cruise

29-i never asked anyone what they paid for their cruise

30-the funniest line i heard on a cruise was on a day where the ship was rocking and rolling,someone yelled out "will the honeymoon couples cut it out"

my wife and i were on about 40+ cruises and never had a bad cruise.

please add,comment or state anything regarding the above.

happy cruising

burtshell

Not too much to add: complainers can bring us all down and turn a positive experience into a negative if we let it.

For those lady passengers on the Dream last July in Alaska --- they cared!!!!

They were mumbling "It's just not fair!" as they were closely eyeing Captain Mogic navigate the Dream. My daughter (17) was on the verge of a meltdown. Humorous to watch. Her pic with him is a prized possession.

Captain Mogic was wonderfully charming and gracious and a pleasure to meet. Wonder where he is now?

Burtshell, You can still get egg creams at diners in NY and NJ. Occasionally my kids will ask for one when we are out. I too use the Fox's U Bet Syrup for my egg cream and you have to be sure that the milk and seltzer are COLD. Having been a waitress while in college, I have to agree with "Why do people eat the already prepared scrambled eggs at the buffet rather than the made to order". I can only think about those powdered eggs.

Must be a NY think--I too never look at the cruise line first, rather where will it stop. We know that we don't want to go to Cozumel AGAIN and so, we start from there and start looking at availabity around kid's schedule and then where the rooms are on the ship and if they connect. Rose

Words from an old Bing Crosby song are our favorite - for life in general, and for all of our vacations - be it land, sea or air!

Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative, Latch on to the Affirmative,

Don't mess with Mr. In Between!!

I agree; I don't give a hoot about towel animals, who the CD is, who the Captain is, or what the drink of the day is.

Archived