Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance

evelyn51

32 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

:classic_ninja:

Did someone forget to provide a link?

Just a question in general.  For instance 'Trip' is the cruise boarding day, time during cruise and deportation day.  

Edited by evelyn51
Incomplete

4 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Have you checked over at the Cruise / Travel Insurance forum? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Btw, I edited my post.  In answer to your question, no not recently.  I'll revisit and maybe gleen some interpretation there.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

1 hour ago, evelyn51 said:

Just a question in general.  For instance 'Trip' is the cruise embarkation day, time during cruise and debarkation day?

For example^^This is what my interpretation from our PFD of 'Trip' is.

Edited by evelyn51
Incomplete

OP here.  We got this Insurance sorted it was for Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption.  It would have been for the actual cruise time only not pre\postcruise or door to door.  We always get Medical coverage, and Medivac for our entire vacation.  However, never Cancellation/Interruption Insurance.

Thanks all.  🙂

Edited by evelyn51
Spelling of trip... lol.

Terms are defined in the early paragraphs of the policy. It's important to understand them completely because the insurer will use their definitions when deciding to approve or deny coverage.

Trivial example: We drove from PA to New York to board a cruise. While in the Caribbean we had an event that resulted in us being flown home, one of us under medical supervision. Meanwhile the car was still in New York. Since the policy defined the Trip as ending when we returned home, they denied coverage for expenses to travel back to New York to retrieve the car. I claimed that I was rejoining the trip at the earliest possibility (covered) and they again said my Trip had ended when I crossed the home threshold.

Evelyn,

If you bought Cancellation Protection from the cruiseline, it would only cover cruise fare, unless you bought your airfare from them too. Then that would be covered.

Your credit card may cover cancellation/interruption before and after sailing -- for a covered reason. Read the fine print very carefully! We are out almost US$10K because we assumed a credit card from a big box store that has a travel agency, would be a great card to use for travel. However, they did not cover the travel provider going out of business, a possibility we also did not consider, but what happened.

More attention should be paid to the terms "Protection" vs. "Insurance", I think. After years (decades) of "self-insuring", we are going to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card for Protection, and an annual GeoBlue policy for (health) Insurance. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card also has good protection, for a significantly lower price, but somewhat fewer benefits ("points" et al) for really frequent travellers. Which we are!

Some cruise protection, like the HAL Platinum Protection, also bundles in at least some medical insurance and evacuation coverage. Again, read the policy!

Tell us what company/policy you are talking about...

On 10/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, jlp20 said:

Any question should have been asked before the purchase. 

We were offered it at a great price, and given 10 days to look over the PFD and cancel.  I realized when the fine print read that travel to the Port by hotel shuttle, taxi, or even our own vehicle would among other things not be covered that we did not wish to keep the coverage.

Cancellation & Interruption Insurance was totally alien to us.

Thanks anyway for your input.

Edited by evelyn51

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Evelyn,

If you bought Cancellation Protection from the cruiseline, it would only cover cruise fare, unless you bought your airfare from them too. Then that would be covered.

Your credit card may cover cancellation/interruption before and after sailing -- for a covered reason. Read the fine print very carefully! We are out almost US$10K because we assumed a credit card from a big box store that has a travel agency, would be a great card to use for travel. However, they did not cover the travel provider going out of business, a possibility we also did not consider, but what happened.

More attention should be paid to the terms "Protection" vs. "Insurance", I think. After years (decades) of "self-insuring", we are going to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card for Protection, and an annual GeoBlue policy for (health) Insurance. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card also has good protection, for a significantly lower price, but somewhat fewer benefits ("points" et al) for really frequent travellers. Which we are!

Some cruise protection, like the HAL Platinum Protection, also bundles in at least some medical insurance and evacuation coverage. Again, read the policy!

Tell us what company/policy you are talking about...

It would have been with General through *****.  We have in the past never purchased insurance other than Door to Door Medical & Helicopter Evacuation through CAA.