Cruise Director on the Odyssey

CLOU

I remember Beth from the Encore.  We had the pleasure of dining with her one evening in the MDR.  And, I agree that her one woman show was quite good.  At the time, she told us that she would be performing in London shortly after our cruise.  

I have to state the obvious--it is hard to beat Handre as a CD.  He is spectacular in every way (down to personally bringing blankets to us --on his own volition---during an evening deck event.) 

I know it's early, but I wonder who will be the CD on the Sojourn come mid May.  

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:35 AM, markham said:

Even better that the Howdy Doody Git to Know Yer Neybers party was postponed! Thank you CD Robert... Who can ask for more?

Alas, it eventually circled around.  I think our deck got hit very early as the greeting crew was in our corridor within the first 5 minutes of the announcement and, just as quickly, off on their way.

I'm not a fan of this event at all.  But I do hear occasionally one draws very interesting neighbors by chance.  :classic_cool:

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

I remember Beth from the Encore.  We had the pleasure of dining with her one evening in the MDR.  And, I agree that her one woman show was quite good.  At the time, she told us that she would be performing in London shortly after our cruise.  

I have to state the obvious--it is hard to beat Handre as a CD.  He is spectacular in every way (down to personally bringing blankets to us --on his own volition---during an evening deck event.) 

I know it's early, but I wonder who will be the CD on the Sojourn come mid May.  

I agree it is very hard to beat Handre but we thought Beth was excellent. Her show was very good. 

I know I've said this before:  I was extremely reluctant to attend the meet your neighbors in the hall event.  I had read about it on Cruise Critic (it was not included on our first SB cruise) and shuddered.  My husband insisted that I attend with him--and we met hall neighbors  who became dear friends on our voyage.  SO---I would probably do it again if it is offered.  I think we run the risk of missing something with potential when we are jaded.  

I fear that as the ships get larger, perhaps these forced socializations will be more necessary.  I am certainly glad they work for some... I've had no such luck with the ones we've stepped out for.  Fortunately we've always managed to make friends at the bar, at trivia, at dinner, etc.

15 hours ago, SLSD said:

I know I've said this before:  I was extremely reluctant to attend the meet your neighbors in the hall event.  I had read about it on Cruise Critic (it was not included on our first SB cruise) and shuddered.  My husband insisted that I attend with him--and we met hall neighbors  who became dear friends on our voyage.  SO---I would probably do it again if it is offered.  I think we run the risk of missing something with potential when we are jaded.  

We had these "meet your neighbors" party offered on at least 7 of our SB cruises and it's one of the highlights of the cruise.  Really.  Meeting your neighbors is great fun but the staff goes 'all in' to make it festive and enjoyable.  The captain even makes it down to deck 5, wink :)

Make it a must on your next cruise.  You have nothing to loose and it's great fun :)

• Like 1

We have done a few of these (and now have a few great friends who we never would have gotten to know) and skipped more than a few and who knows who we missed out on meeting, but a few have been total busts.  Last time I spent the entire time talking to the Guest Services manager who we have known for years, so have no idea who the others were.  Hit or miss IMO and depends on what else we want to do that evening or were doing prior.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As noted, current CD is Robert and the ACD is Beth on the Odyssey. beth’s Show was fantastic and unique in my opinion. Very sweet and sad, at the same time. We had a great time with Robert - his birthday was last week, so good cheers all around. One other unique aspect was that the entire Officer Corp and staff seemed genuinely nice and happy together. 

Robert told us he is leaving the Odyssey in January and will join the Quest in either April or May, I don't remember. I will be on the Quest in June so I will sail with him again. I don't know who will replace him on the Odyssey and I don't know about Beth's plans.