Is it just me??? Jacuzzi’s on ships.......

Travelcat2

4 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Excellent. Thanks for the report. And for allowing me this brief hijack. 

Not trying to be a downer but internet can be from awful to good - depending upon where you are in the world and where the satellites are.  During the day (on sea days when everyone is on board), the internet tends to be slower than a snail.   In some parts of the world, there is no internet (generally this does not happen for more than a day).  If you do a "search", you will find multiple threads complaining about the internet on Regent (and on other ships).

As a matter of facts, the satellites that provide TV, Internet and similar are in what is called Geostationary Orbit which means relative to the earth, they remain as close as possible to stationary over a stationary point on the earth's equator at an altitude of 22,236 miles above sea level.  And, these satellites cover most, if not all of the planet earth.  The major issues that affect reception of the signal from the satellites is the amount of atmosphere the signal has to travel thru. 

Because the satellites are all located over the equator, the further north or south from the equator increases the atmosphere the signals have to pass thru which can cause reception issues.  There are many other factors that can affect signal reception but, where the satellites are or where you are in the world rarely or ever affect reception.

The point is that internet is poor in some areas and fine in others.  There are places in the world that still do not get the internet at all.  Amongst the slowest internet is in India, Indonesia and Malaysia  all places visited by Regent.

Even internet in the U.S. varies as is shown on the map in the article https://gizmodo.com/americas-internet-inequality-a-map-of-whos-got-the-b-1057686215

While the science of this is interesting, most people simply want to know if the internet is going to work at decent speeds or not and the answer sometimes.  

The subject of internet connection is off topic but I’m sure some posters would like to discuss it further (again) so perhaps those interested will start a new thread.

Edited by Travelcat2

12 hours ago, rallydave said:

As a matter of facts, the satellites that provide TV, Internet and similar are in what is called Geostationary Orbit which means relative to the earth, they remain as close as possible to stationary over a stationary point on the earth's equator at an altitude of 22,236 miles above sea level.  And, these satellites cover most, if not all of the planet earth.  The major issues that affect reception of the signal from the satellites is the amount of atmosphere the signal has to travel thru. 

Because the satellites are all located over the equator, the further north or south from the equator increases the atmosphere the signals have to pass thru which can cause reception issues.  There are many other factors that can affect signal reception but, where the satellites are or where you are in the world rarely or ever affect reception.

interesting and of couse wifi speed on a ship has nothing to do with usage availability coverage or linespeeds in the countrys visited

On 12/25/2018 at 6:14 PM, Ep010835 said:

This was just my feeble attempt at humor. The bullet point was excerpted from the linked article. 

Didn't mean to upset anyone. 

Didn't upset me --  but I have't a clue what is or is not "proper" when it comes to water in a jacuzzi aside from the temperature which has to be hot!!

22 hours ago, rallydave said:

On one hand you say that where you are in the world "rarely or ever" affects reception.  On the other hand you state "the further north or south from the equator increases the signals have to pass thru which can cause reception issues".  While this may make sense to some, the bottom line is what the reception is like on Regent ships and it does vary by how many people are online and where you are in the world.  This may not be scientific but it is the way it is on Regent and other cruise lines.

Perhaps further internet comments can go on the new thread about this topic?  

P.S.  Gerry - the chemicals that are put into a public jacuzzi is also super important.  Unlike hot tubs/jacuzzi bathtubs in your home or suite that you fill and drain - no chemicals needed, public jacuzzi's need to be protected from many almost unspeakable things that enter the water.   

Edited by Travelcat2

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

P.S.  Gerry - the chemicals that are put into a public jacuzzi is also super important.  Unlike hot tubs/jacuzzi bathtubs in your home or suite that you fill and drain - no chemicals needed, public jacuzzi's need to be protected from many almost unspeakable things that enter the water.   

what unspeekable things?

dont regent people ever wash?

1 hour ago, seaknots said:

what unspeekable things?

I must not be 'Regent people' as I bathe daily.  I also shower before I enter the pool or hot tub.  And yes, I've used the hot tubs on board and haven't suffered any ill effects...

4 hours ago, seaknots said:

what unspeekable things?

Some people, like Bill, shower before entering the jacuzzi but some people do not.  They lie in the sun and perspire - go into the jacuzzi and then into the pool to cool off.  

I did not say that going in a jacuzzi on Regent will make your sick, I said that it "grosses me out".  However, if you read the article that I linked (post #3 I believe. you will understand where I am coming from.  

I tend to be a pool and hot tub person, here in Florida, and on the ships.  I believe there is a strong interdiction against people not showering before entering these pools; I doubt if many transgress.  But I agree that many showers are probably pretty perfunctory.  My Y pool at home has all sorts of imprecations to shower thoroughly and wash your hair before entering, but there are lots of families who frequent that pool at various times of the day.  

I do not see how one can have a thorough shower - soap and all and NO clothing on - before entering any public pool or hot tub.  It doesn't work.  I rather think posting signs saying it is required is more than a bit "CYA" for the pool company/owner etc.    I go along with the notices - put myself under a spray for a minute or two - but wonder what good it is doing aside from getting my skin used to cold water ???