PO Cruise N001 3 Jan 2020

MuttonTwins

Hi, is anyone else dissatisfied with the response from PO following their change to the itinerary of the above cruise namely the cancellation of the partial transit of the Panama Canal?

We feel that the offer of a bus trip to view a lock is totally inadequate, bearing in mind that it is due to their error in planning the cruise that has led to this cancellation.

We feel that PO should offer either a reduction in the price of the cruise or compensation, which might take the form of on board credit.

Does anyone else share these views?

I think it would depend why P&O have stated as their reason(s) for altering the itinerary.   All cruise lines state clearly in their terms and conditions that they reserve the right to alter / cancel ports or excursions if the safety of the ship, passengers and crew is compromised, or any other operational, weather related or act of war reasons.

Thanks Showingdiva,

They say due to unforeseen circumstances, but as the Canal has not got smaller since the cruise was planned, nor the ship larger it has got to be their error.

There are new larger locks available so why not use them?

Unfortunately there could be many reasons ... availability of quay space / pilotage / towage, water depth, maintenance / construction.   I can see why you are disappointed, as I imagine it would have been a highlight for many passengers.   You can only email P&O expressing how disappointed you are .. you might be lucky and they give you a bit of OBC to compensate.

I understand that there's a full raft of Ts&Cs about cancellations,  but surely this is a fundamental change to the cruise which would entitle you to cancel? Having said that, we did  a partial transit on Oceana, and it was one of the biggest let-downs in all my years  of cruising. It was pretty much a whole day sitting about waiting for something to happen. On the other hand, the full transit we did  a couple of years later was fantastic. 

Thanks both terrierjohn an tartanexile81,

PO admitted their planning was based on the passage of a Princess Ship and they assumed their ship was small enough to go through. It wasn’t !!!

I think we could cancel but we await the response from PO. If I order and pay for a five course meal I don’t expect to receive a four course one and a glass of water. 

37 minutes ago, jasperado said:

There is a previous thread concerning this issue, and pax have cancelled and received full refunds. I'm sorry I don't know when the thread was started, but please search and I'm sure you will receive guidance there,

Good luck

I can attest to this.  The relevant thread was on the P&O Cruises (UK) section and was entitled:  "Ventura Panama Canal glitch".   Refunds were given in cash according to posters on that thread.

Full transit alternatives given are Emerald Princess 29/2/2020 from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale or Queen Victoria 29/2/2020 from  Santiago, Chile to Fort Lauderdale.  The latter sails back to Southampton if you do an additional sector from Fort Lauderdale.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Have P&O given a more detailed reason for cancelling the partial transit, it cannot be because Ventura is too big for the new locks since its close sister Emerald Princess is doing a full transit next year, so I wonder what the true reason is?

My theory on the full transit situation is "headroom" (airdraught) under the Bridge of the Americas.  200' limit, whereas the ships are 213' high.  The small excess could be different aerials, mast arrangement or whatever.

Regards John

8 hours ago, john watson said:

My theory on the full transit situation is "headroom" (airdraught) under the Bridge of the Americas.  200' limit, whereas the ships are 213' high.  The small excess could be different aerials, mast arrangement or whatever.

Regards John

But that would not be a problem for Ventura's partial transit since it would not need to go under the Bridge of the Americas.

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But that would not be a problem for Ventura's partial transit since it would not need to go under the Bridge of the Americas.

Obviously not.  I do not know the financial situation cruise lines have with the canal authority.  I suspect that they must pay something for a partial transit and if they cancel -  do they pay a lot less?  Is a huge saving available?  On a full transit there is a huge consequence of cancelling - the ship ends up in the wrong ocean with no access to the next group of passengers for their cruise. Is the cost saving, if there is one. a huge incentive to not bother with a partial transit.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

Obviously not.  I do not know the financial situation cruise lines have with the canal authority.  I suspect that they must pay something for a partial transit and if they cancel -  do they pay a lot less?  Is a huge saving available?  On a full transit there is a huge consequence of cancelling - the ship ends up in the wrong ocean with no access to the next group of passengers for their cruise. Is the cost saving, if there is one. a huge incentive to not bother with a partial transit.

Regards John

I would very much hope that's not the case John, especially with something with the iconic selling power of a Panama canal cruise.

19 hours ago, MuttonTwins said:

Thanks both terrierjohn an tartanexile81,

PO admitted their planning was based on the passage of a Princess Ship and they assumed their ship was small enough to go through. It wasn’t !!!

I think we could cancel but we await the response from PO. If I order and pay for a five course meal I don’t expect to receive a four course one and a glass of water. 

According to my copy of Berlitz Cruising and Cruise ships Ventura and Emerald Princess are identical in length and beam. The only reason I can think of why the Emerald Princess can get through and Ventura cannot is that Ventura has something sticking out somewhere which Emerald princess does not have. But what?

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I have looked at the other thread and it does cover the same issue “Ventura Panama Canal glitch”.

It seems there are two options, either, cancel the cruise and get your deposit back, or wait and see if PO are prepared to reduce the cruise price or pay some  obc. I am not holding my breath and the silence from PO is deafening!

This compares unfavourably with our recent experience on a Celebrity Japan cruise affected by two typhoons. We lost a day of the cruise and could not visit a couple of ports. Celebrity paid two chunks of obc to our onboard account whilst we were still on the cruise and followed this with a voucher on our return home of approx £350 (for two persons) off a future cruise.

So come on PO, do the decent thing and look after your loyal customers properly and not take them for granted and assume they will fobbed off with bs.