2 or 3 berth balcony cabin booking / selection?

We’re looking at booking a balcony cabin on Explorer 2 for next May. The price for a cabin sleeping a maximum of 3 is quite a bit lower than the price for a maximum of 2, and I’m wondering what happens if there are only two of us and we book the category for 3. That’s assuming the booking process would allow us to name only two passengers for that category of cabin!

Will we be able to select a cabin number which is marked as for 2? (I know we have to pay to select a preferred cabin number). Or will we be able to choose from only those marked as 3 berth, and then risk being moved if a party of 3 want it?  From the deck plans, there seem to be many more cabins for two than for three.  

Just trying to maximise the spending pennies 🙂

I don't know if this will help but we are doing the transatlantic home coming on Explorer in April and phoned Marella to reserve a cabin. They told us what was available and we  picked a cabin and paid whatever it was to reserve it. I have since looked on the deck plans and the cabin allocated  is a three birth. (we are travelling as couple)

When we called to reserve a cabin we didn't specify any particular cabin we just wanted to be on deck eight starboard side in a standard balcony cabin. They gave us a list of available cabins to pick from and the one that we picked unknown to us was a three birth.  I don't doubt you for a minute PC but it wouldn't be very good customer relations to evict you from something that they offered as available and took your money bearing in mind that other cabins that you may have chosen at the time  will probably have been booked as well

Ah well I will have to look up squatters rights etc.

As an aside the reason I booked Starboard side was on the Palma to Barbados cruise we had the sun on our port side cabin all day, so in my logic when we do the return the sun should be on the starboard side. 

(please tell me my logic is correct)

Keep well.😉

Marella do move 2 people from a booked 3/4 berth cabin if a subsequent booking needs more than a 2 berth, after all this is a business and they don't want to forgo a 3 person booking due to the lack of a cabin when one occupied by 2 people is available. What they need to do is make this absolutely clear during the booking process and ask you if you don't mind moving with more incentive than just returning the £48. You should also get to move where you want to, not just their choice which is likely to be an unpopular location like aft near the engines.

Hi  P.C

very well thank you, have you any cruises booked for 20-1920 we are looking forward to our cruise in march on Explorer and our stay in Barbados, will be looking again on the ship to see if there are any good deals going on Explorer 2 as i would like to do the A.B.C Island,s again, will you be looking at the Caribbean again take care.

Have three booked for next year, Dream and Discovery 2, but nothing for 2020 as yet, had a little health tap on the shoulder so just waiting at the moment. So far as the Caribbean is concerned never say never but this year was very upsetting at a couple of the POC with the all devastation and as I have said previously Mrs PC suffers from jet lag on the return so I may try to convince her to fly out and do the TA home:classic_smile:

Hi Roger i think thats the answer, leave your car with us -------- cruise parking we take you to airport, Explorer dock,s in So,ton we pick you up from docks strait to your car simple,s strait home in doors by midday  yes we don,t know whats around the corner.

Pensioncruiser - the TA coming back to the Med is great - good weather and a short flight home - done it 4 times and doing it again next April although rather than flying back from Palma it'll be Dubrovnik which of course is a longer flying time

And no jet lag - for five days we have 23 hour days

can really recommend it - as a lot of the crew are excited about getting a break and there's a fabulous atmosphere on board