mrbucky

Medicare

If on medicare and have supplements,  what do you do if you are on a cruise for any great length of time?  Besides don't get sick.  Insurance wise.

Edited by mrbucky

You can buy yearly travel insurance that covers you whenever you travel during that period. I found one that suits me via a link provided frequently around CC for a website that lists many different companies and information on all the different policies they offer. I'm sorry to say I no longer have the link but hopefully someone will come along after me with it. As far as cost goes I have to admit I don't know the exact number. I still work and travel often for the company so they pay for my policy. The amount is probably less than you'd think, though. I want to say it was about equal the price of individual trip insurance for 2 or 3 trips. I usually make that many trips per month so well worth the cost for me and my company.

Last year I bought a yearly policy from Squaremouth because I took 3 cruises and it was cheaper than buying a policy for each cruise.  I typically use insuremytrip dot com for per-trip policies....they offer policies from many different insurance companies that you can compare.

Next month I'll be on a long cruise (161 days) and even though we get free unlimited medical care on the ship, I bought a travel insurance policy because the policy covers trip cancellation, delay, baggage loss, medical care for off ship, and evacuation.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

On 11/29/2018 at 2:49 PM, mrbucky said:

If on medicare and have supplements,  what do you do if you are on a cruise for any great length of time?  Besides don't get sick.  Insurance wise.

What do you mean "have supplements"?

If these are policies that include overseas medical cost coverage, you may be okay.

But that wouldn't help you for cancellation costs (regardless of whether due to medical issues or not).

More specifically, what is *your* question?

GC

Generally, if you have a medical insurance travel plan, you will pay for any services you  need, submit the bill to the insurance when you return home, and get reimbursed.  Most countries do not accept any insurance that's not their own.  You pay, and get reimbursed.

On 12/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, GeezerCouple said:

What do you mean "have supplements"?

Sounds like the OP has Medicare and a Medicare supplement policy.

11 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Sounds like the OP has Medicare and a Medicare supplement policy.

That's why I then asked, 

"If these are policies that include overseas medical cost coverage, you may be okay."

But without this information, the word "supplements" could mean many things.

GC

There are perhaps a dozen Medicare "supplement" plans, not to be confused with Medicare "advantage" plans. Each Supplement Plan has standard standard terms, regardless of the insurance company from whom the coverage is purchased.

Most people opt for supplement Plan F, since it is reported to be the most comprehensive. It covers the deductibles, copays and coinsurance in Medicare Parts A and B. It also provides up to $50,000 in foreign travel "emergency" medical benefits.

While the COVERAGE is consistent across insurance companies, how they handle claims that may occur probably isn't. So if you intend to rely on your Medicare supplement while out of the country, it probably would be wise to consult with them before making your travel arrangements.