Onboard Revenue creep

NeonMoon

14 hours ago, FlaParrotHead said:

Here is the point.  Gratuities, Tips, whatever you want to call them have always been for the service we receive on our cruise.  The ASP is different, per this letter, and that is fact.  Having sailed for 25 years and a member here for over 15 years, I do not think anyone was ever made aware of this fund or how it is partially funded by our tips.  Sorry .... but this pool should be funded by our cruise fares (100%) and tips or gratuities be directly given to the employees working on a passengers specific voyage ... 

Dont make the mistake assuming that because you don’t know something, no one else must know it either. A lot of cruisers like myself take the time to talk to bartenders and learn information about how tips are allocated onboard, do bartenders prefer tips in cash, are tips split per bar location, etc. 

I definitely wasn't aware of the ASP either.  I thought my auto gratuities always went to the people on the ship.  I thought gratuities were tips.  ASP isn't tips.  I'm not sure I care but from the way Carnival describes where your tips go, I fell a bit duped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

There have been so many threads on tipping, that I'm sure that you have missed it!  That's where I first learned of it and then researched it (as in, I learned about it buried deep in a tipping thread).  

At the end of the day, though, 2 things are clear (at least to me):

1. The crew members get what is promised to them in accordance with the contract that they sign, and
  2. 100% of those monies go to the crew members, but perhaps not in the way that the public believes.

3. No part of it is Carnival revenue.

Personally, I would rather see an increase in tips than an increase in cruise prices. It is a little like places that have a higher tax on lodging, cigarettes, etc. An increase on the luxuries. A person can decide then how much to budget for this add-in. I can't imagine what an all-inclusive cruise would cost us.

We love A.I's and have done cost comparisons and they are very close in price, especially Mexico and the D.R. You can get a very nice A.I for $2500 with unlimited drinks, several sit down restaurants, and many water sports included. Now Sandals is a different story, but if you are a diver, Scuba is free as well as golf.