Edge Sky Suites: Which Ones Have Beds Facing The Ocean?

vtcruising

One of the big Edge questions has now been answered. From the first day when Celebrity announced that all of the Sky Suites (146) would have a bed that faced the ocean and that they would be included in the Retreat experience, many sought to book these entry level suites. The initial renditions were confusing, some showing the bed facing the ocean and others showing the bed against a side wall. Whenever I spoke with anyone from X, they continued to say that all Sky Suite beds faced the ocean, but with those renditions out there it seemed doubtful.

The other interesting concept for this suite was the mirror in the bathroom overlooking the bed that could be opened like a window to allow one to view the ocean while brushing teeth or showering. The bed facing the ocean and window/mirror concepts were interesting to me though I felt would not be deal breakers, if they didn't turn out to be a reality.

Last week we were in an S1 midship (10147) and found a suite with the bed facing the ocean. The layout of this suite just felt right. We enjoyed two nights in this well laid out suite with a wonderful view of the ocean from the bed and bathroom. The closets were across from the entry - good-sized and easy to access. Having the bed in the middle against the bathroom wall facing the ocean seemed to better give a sleep space and a living space. The veranda was quite roomy - ~ 75-80 sq ft (especially for the 3 pieces of ubiquitous furniture out there). It had a private feel and great port side view.  It was midship so pretty easy to get to all venues - fairly close to the Retreat and Luminae.

image.thumb.png.a44a0ad76e2a562f636b6fe3fce3c46f.png

View from bathroom

image.thumb.png.c4508ec5ad6d50a979ddede0cb470817.png

image.thumb.png.142544516a22cf5907a22383fab2a425.png

I was told by the butler that all of the midship S1's and S2's had this design.

I visited an S3 on display that had the bed against a side wall with no opening mirror facing the ocean from the bathroom and was told all S3's would have that set up.

image.thumb.png.dbb862fa2d22a1aca12c2f2847ad0df0.png

image.thumb.png.d93158d78a92f50421d9076f43e3212a.png

image.thumb.png.1b3f63d7fb74206446252e41aa24e041.png

image.png.be346034eb7ffdcfdff587beb162dcdb.png

The S1 afts were still a mystery (no one seemed to know) and I anxiously awaited the time when we walked into our S1 aft to find out. We have booked the S1 afts on S Class a few times and always enjoyed the huge balcony and wonderful views of the wake (and port and starboard views). When I walked in and saw the bed was against a side wall and no open mirror in the bathroom, I surprised myself by being disappointed. I was spoiled by trying the other suite with the bed facing the ocean. The balcony is huge (163 sq ft) with wonderful views and the bathroom set up seems a little better than the midship S1, but after being in the aft S1 for a few days, I think that I prefer the midship S1's and S2's (S2's are designated S2's because of their locations, but the same set up). For me, the bed position and mirror is balanced by the large balcony and view, but the 2 things that caused me to lean toward the midship S1's or S2's is the closet/cupboard placement and distance to the Retreat. They are in front of the bathroom and close to one side of the bed. We were constantly in each other's way getting to the bathroom (cupboard with drawers and safe door had to be closed to get by to the bathroom). The closet doors opened close to the bed so it made it cramped to get to the closet and when those doors were open we couldn't get to the bedside stand (that had a phone charging or the daily, etc.). For that one area, it felt more like a regular S Class cabin with the bed near the bath (and closet) - it took away from the suite feeling. The distance to the Retreat issue surprised me - we usually don't mind the distance to places on the ship from the aft, but the Retreat held our dining venue, sundeck, lounge, concierge, etc. so were going there a lot. It may have been because I was achy from my fall, but it was much nicer to be midship and pop up there quickly.

image.png.3c6f6e93a5d61b04ffb82abcf74485cf.png

image.png.0aba5e25b2762cd9cf7f1942d7cc2a25.png

image.thumb.png.d775fce7e3809d6030e7901f709e446f.png

image.thumb.png.dcee1d7754966a9f220c4a3faf9a5ae2.png

Anyway, these are all beautiful suites and I feel lucky to have tried two different types. It will be interesting to see other reviews and advantages/disadvantages of the various Sky Suites from other perspectives. We will be in an aft S1 in January so hoping to be in love with it by the end of 7 days!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, snowowl said:

We just disembarked this morning. We were in a S1, 11207 and have the bed facing the ocean. Love this set up. Wake up facing the ocean is amazing. 

86537717-DD3D-4BF6-BB31-35916759BFDD.jpeg

We just got upgraded to an S1 midship on 11 over S2 midship on 10  Is the balcony bigger in the S1 midship compared to the S2.  What are the differences for the upcharge? Just curious.  Thanks so much  Believe we will be 11201 insread of 10201

Edited by Timbek2

Many thanks, Marilyn, for sharing and comparing the suites.  I have been so torn about the information between the S1's. mid-ship and aft.  It is interesting about the closet and safe making it a little inconvenient when both of you have to share the space, along with the significant bits of information that you offered.  The S1 afts have always been very quiet for us, but we have also been right by the elevator too without any issues.  I am going to stay with my S1 aft and larger balcony this time, but will try the mid-ship too.  I really wanted the magic window, but my DH says that we have practiced that walk so many times that it seems natural, and that I might be able to do a cartwheel on this large balcony, since there is so little furniture.  I am too old for that for sure, but he may just do a back flip!  The weather and type of cruise may also factor in to our thoughts about these cabins.

Again, thank you so very much for all your photos and information while on the Edge and before you experienced it.  You have gone way beyound expectations, along with using your valuable time and energy...Kudos!

Suzy

Edited by Lastdance

10 hours ago, Timbek2 said:

We just got upgraded to an S1 midship on 11 over S2 midship on 10  Is the balcony bigger in the S1 midship compared to the S2.  What are the differences for the upcharge? Just curious.  Thanks so much  Believe we will be 11201 insread of 10201

It is likely all about location - higher or more mid-ship staterooms demand higher prices generally. The price difference on my cruises was on'y about $100 PP, similar to AQ 1 and 2, which are differently priced due to location. We will know more in a few weeks as people report back if there are other differences.

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Many thanks, Marilyn, for sharing and comparing the suites.  I have been so torn about the information between the S1's. mid-ship and aft.  It is interesting about the closet and safe making it a little inconvenient when both of you have to share the space, along with the significant bits of information that you offered.  The S1 afts have always been very quiet for us, but we have also been right by the elevator too without any issues.  I am going to stay with my S1 aft and larger balcony this time, but will try the mid-ship too.  I really wanted the magic window, but my DH says that we have practiced that walk so many times that it seems natural, and that I might be able to do a cartwheel on this large balcony, since there is so little furniture.  I am too old for that for sure, but he may just do a back flip!  The weather and type of cruise may also factor in to our thoughts about these cabins.

Again, thank you so very much for all your photos and information while on the Edge and before you experienced it.  You have gone way beyound expectations, along with using your valuable time and energy...

Suzy

Okay, I want a video of that back flip! Yes, there would be room!

PS: Tell Dr. Lever, Miguel and Jane in Medical that you are a friend of mine! We are good buddies now...🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

You only sailed for a couple of days, if you were doing a week or two sailing would the storage space be adequate?  We do not travel light- yes we do laundry- but we pack heavy!

I think the storage is comparable to the aft S1's on S Class. The only thing missing is the nice long shelf along the wall to place stuff on and the coffee table, but it wasn't that noticeable in the suite.

The corner cupboard has 3 large drawers and tons of cubby space.

image.thumb.png.699e57603c7917f80a892f2e931c24b5.png

The closet is 43 inches long X 21.5 inches wide. It goes back further than seen in the picture.

image.thumb.png.1dd8c9a24ee06d4fda0eeb2848169afe.png

image.thumb.png.4cbf86a29b98ed1f14df929cfd9b1434.png

The dresser in LR is well-designed - top drawer is 3 inches deep, but the other 2 are 6 inches deep. The dividers in the drawers are a nice touch.

image.thumb.png.096ded0afdd3ac5bcfd57d3f059e2284.png

image.thumb.png.580ab50d0d485d52ecd77b6b0ed57af8.png

There are 3 huge drawers under the sink in bathroom that could be used for things other than toiletries, if needed. I only used one because there is so much other cubby storage space around the sink and vanity.

image.thumb.png.b5b23ab903b4a64815adef6a61896d29.png

image.thumb.png.895609065f8a302d9e5010cc604a3163.png

image.thumb.png.3954988d15785edbd0fe28dfb861c528.png

Everyone is different obviously about what is adequate, but there would be enough storage for us on a TA (with a little laundry sent out). 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Thanks for the response.  We will be in an infinite veranda the week before the Harmony of the Seas- we will be in an S2 next March.  So for NYears I am really concerned with the infinite veranda staterooms and space now-  The sky suite balcony has a tiny table- guess Celebrity wants to discourage stateroom dining.

My DH and I will try to pack lighter- reduce the shoes/sneakers and sandals!  Also seems like less room in the S1 closets as compared to the Solstice class or Millie class.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, Timbek2 said:

I'll be in 11201 starting on Sunday and will report back to CC about my experience. You can get an early preview of your cabin before you cruise. 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I'll be in 11201 starting on Sunday and will report back to CC about my experience. You can get an early preview of your cabin before you cruise. 🙂

Looking forward to your experience and pictures, WonderMan3.  I'll be in 11201 in January!  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

I notified my TA I was not happy about the misrepresentation of marketing on the website. (images and type). I booked 12160  on the MC with the hopes of my first suite experience (usually Aqua and I am elite) would be something special with these beds facing the ocean.  My notes in red. I am not a happy sailor right now.

From the celebrity site :

Perfectly designed Sky Suite offer a blend of expansive views and intimate luxury. These large suites feature a king-sized bed from our signature Cashmere Bedding CollectionSM that faces outward for views of the great outdoors (not all of them!), a sitting area, with a signature Kelly Hoppen wooden rocker (yes, but you might have to tie this down),and a spacious, private veranda. The split bathroom features a large spa tub with shower and a sliding panel that allows views to the room and the ocean beyond .

6 hours ago, CraigCruiser said:

I notified my TA I was not happy about the misrepresentation of marketing on the website. (images and type). I booked 12160  on the MC with the hopes of my first suite experience (usually Aqua and I am elite) would be something special with these beds facing the ocean.  My notes in red. I am not a happy sailor right now.

Perfectly designed Sky Suite offer a blend of expansive views and intimate luxury. These large suites feature a king-sized bed from our signature Cashmere Bedding CollectionSM that faces outward for views of the great outdoors (not all of them!), a sitting area, with a signature Kelly Hoppen wooden rocker (yes, but you might have to tie this down),and a spacious, private veranda. The split bathroom features a large spa tub with shower and a sliding panel that allows views to the room and the ocean beyond .

Sorry for you, but a few days ago we found out our S1 aft cabin doesn’t have the bed facing the balcony, disappointed yes but we will enjoy our cruise.  We were onboard for one the the short cruises and saw a S3 MC cabin and it’s quite nice.  I hope you can look beyond this and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

3 minutes ago, bmoore09 said:

So we are booked in an S2, 10118.  It's not really midship.  Will we have the bed facing the balcony?

Yes, it should. As far as we know, all S2's are facing the ocean (I know I use the term midship, but just trying to distinguish the aft S1's - it's shorter than saying port and starboard 🙂). Hope you enjoy your beautiful suite!

15 hours ago, CraigCruiser said:

I know the feeling, since I was hopeful that my January cruise would be with the bed facing the ocean. Early on the renditions were confusing, with some of them showing beds against a side wall, so I was prepared for that possibility (it says in the fine print that layouts may change). Something happened along the way with the original concept that made it difficult to fit that footprint into all the Sky Suites (including mine). They are still gorgeous suites, with lots of great benefits, including Luminae and the Retreat. I suspect that we will have a wonderful time on this beautiful ship. I hope you will enjoy your first suite experience!

54 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, it should. As far as we know, all S2's are facing the ocean (I know I use the term midship, but just trying to distinguish the aft S1's - it's shorter than saying port and starboard 🙂). Hope you enjoy your beautiful suite!

I called Celebrity to ask about a specific S1 cabin mid-ship and on deck 11.  After I was put on hold, I was told that specific cabin had the bed on the side wall.  Next, I called Captain’s Club, and was put on hold.  When the rep came back I was told that they would email Edge and let me know in 48 hours.  Furthermore, my TA called Celebrity and was told the bed faced the side...I would like the correct information to be available for people who are spending thousands of dollars to at least receive correct answers from Celebrity.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I called Celebrity to ask about a specific S1 cabin mid-ship and on deck 11.  After I was put on hold, I was told that specific cabin had the bed on the side wall.  Next, I called Captain’s Club, and was put on hold.  When the rep came back I was told that they would email Edge and let me know in 48 hours.  Furthermore, my TA called Celebrity and was told the bed faced the side...I would like the correct information to be available for people who are spending thousands of dollars to at least receive correct answers from Celebrity.  

Wow! I guess I should have gone down through and peeked at all of them! I was told that all of the S2's and midship S1's were ocean-facing by two different people onboard (one a butler for that area of the ship). I wouldn't believe anything that X people on the phone have to say - they swore up and down that that all sky suites faced the ocean a few months ago. I am trying to find out the butler manager's name - maybe they would know?

Thanks!! Glad I didn't change. 🙂

23 hours ago, Lastdance said:

After a lot of deliberation, I switched my aft S1 to the same suite we had on the United Way cruise (port mid-ship 10147). I know that one has a bed facing the ocean and we loved that suite set up. Also, the aft walk seemed longer this time (it may have been my injury and lack of sleep), but I think it impacted our use of the Retreat. I was sad to lose the view of the wake and the huge balcony in the aft, but I am at peace with the decision. With the prices at $12, 000 for a week for those S1's now (with no furniture to recline or to eat upon on your own balcony), we will likely go with SVs in the future so we can still have cruises with a larger balcony and aft views. I would love to experience a week in an ocean-facing suite in January - it just felt so right to us!

Please let us know if you hear anything about the mid-ship suites and bed placement. I'm still trying to get in touch with someone onboard who might be able to check.

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

After a lot of deliberation, I switched my aft S1 to the same suite we had on the United Way cruise (port mid-ship 10147). I know that one has a bed facing the ocean and we loved that suite set up. Also, the aft walk seemed longer this time (it may have been my injury and lack of sleep), but I think it impacted our use of the Retreat. I was sad to lose the view of the wake and the huge balcony in the aft, but I am at peace with the decision. With the prices at $12, 000 for a week for those S1's now (with no furniture to recline or to eat upon on your own balcony), we will likely go with SVs in the future so we can still have cruises with a larger balcony and aft views. I would love to experience a week in an ocean-facing suite in January - it just felt so right to us!

Please let us know if you hear anything about the mid-ship suites and bed placement. I'm still trying to get in touch with someone onboard who might be able to check.

Great choice.. That’s a nicer bathroom and a perfectly laid out room. Reminds me of the bed layout n the SS on the Millenium that we had waaaay back.

Question - did the S1 aft have a standard width tub with a partial glass door?  If so, did water splash out when showering like the CS?  

28 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Great choice.. That’s a nicer bathroom and a perfectly laid out room. Reminds me of the bed layout n the SS on the Millenium that we had waaaay back.

Question - did the S1 aft have a standard width tub with a partial glass door?  If so, did water splash out when showering like the CS?  

I haven't done M Class Sky Suite, only CS, which are nice and roomy, but a narrow balcony, as you likely know.

The aft S1 has the same large Roman tub (Henry loved the tub!) as the mid-ship S1 and has a shower that I don't think originally had any splash guard, but a partial one was added (you can see it in top photo) because of leakage - water traveled along the edge of the tub and onto the floor (our butler mentioned it when we reported the water all over the floor after a shower in the first suite). It should be fixed by the time we return.

image.thumb.png.cf7e7c9642496a6720ed00e45056e8df.png

image.thumb.png.990559960e8e11f406a6af586bc3f6ee.png

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I haven't done M Class Sky Suite, only CS, which are nice and roomy, but a narrow balcony, as you likely know.

The aft S1 has the same large Roman tub (Henry loved the tub!) as the mid-ship S1 and has a shower that I don't think originally had any splash guard, but a partial one was added (you can see it in top photo) because of leakage - water traveled along the edge of the tub and onto the floor (our butler mentioned it when we reported the water all over the floor after a shower in the first suite). It should be fixed by the time we return.

image.thumb.png.cf7e7c9642496a6720ed00e45056e8df.png

image.thumb.png.990559960e8e11f406a6af586bc3f6ee.png

Thanks, nice big tub to stand in. The leakage can be stopped easier than the splash in the narrow tub. In the CS, there was no where to stand and shower without water splash all over outside. Cant wait to hear the other reviews. 

This makes the aft or side S1 and the S2, a nice choice

and something to consider in lieu of the CS, especially at the prices they are asking.

however, I did not like the shower faucet controls down low on the tub faucet. Prefer them on the wall, like a standard tub shower at home. But I guess we can’t change everything they selected.

Hello All, We hope that everyone is enjoying the new Edge. We have been looking for pic's of a high floor, corner aft sky suite. We are cruising on Nov 2019 in such a suite. I did book it thinking that we would have a nice big porthole type window on side wall and wrap around balcony. We have since found out that the Edge has neither. But we were still excited since we would be able to face the ocean from our bed and have the opportunity to spend a lot of time lounging, eating, relaxing on the huge balcony. It would appear from the few messages above that our bed will not face the ocean, there will be minimal furniture on the balcony in which to relax and/or take a meal. We are optimistic that we still made the right choice, but are concerned that Celebrity representatives are not great at factual communication, and that there may be other "untrue" assurances made by Celebrity representatives when booking and shelling out a fair amount of $$$$ for this opportunity. We are in our late 40's, early 50's, so don't mind the walk and/or stairs to get to the Retreat. But when we do "retreat" to our aft corner Sky Suite, we were hoping to have a awesome layout that allowed us to have a great time there enjoying some meals, laying out in case the Retreat area is too busy. Here's hoping that is possible by next November! Any aft corner sky suite pic's would be appreciated! Thanks! 

• Like 1