new cruisers

celsk

From Barrie Ontario Canada ,  my partner and I going on our first cruise, do you have to be dressed up for every meal what is the new years eve party like. Looking forward to the cruise and meeting new people

Steve And Joanna

On NCL, it's dress up or not...mostly not.   Only two of the restaurants on most of the ships have an specific dress code.  And that is basically only requiring for guys no shorts, a collared shirt, and closed toed shoes.  You can find specific dress code one the NCL web site.   You will see an occasional couple dressed up pretty nice, but not that many.  There is usually one night designated dress up or not night and a few more nicely dressed guests will be seen.  You will feel comfortable what ever you do.  

No dressing up unless you wish to. For New Years some dress in "festive party". It depends on what you wish to do as NCL is indeed "Free Style". If you would like to have pictures taken by all means dress up. The DH, DSD, and I dressed for the picture taking on cruise and it was great to have many pictures to choose from. Enjoy your first cruise!

On NCL, you do not have to "dress up" for ANY meal...although there are times when people will dress up for photos, other occasions, or on "Dress up or Not" evenings. 

Certain restaurants have a higher dress code (check the ship's dailies) but most restaurants allow shorts/t-shirts for every meal that they serve.  

One of the best things about NCL's Freestyle Cruising is getting to dress however you feel comfortable. On most NCL ships, only Le Bistro and the seafood restaurant (Ocean Blue or Bayamo) require men to wear long pants, collared shirts, and closed toe shoes. I always bring one dress to wear and my SO always brings a sports coat, just because sometimes we like to dress up for a "dinner date" when eating at the specialty restaurants or the more formal MDR. But most of the time it's t-shirts and jeans or shorts with sneakers.

I will say, if you are incredibly offended by other people dressing down, NCL might not be the right cruise line for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, JamieLogical said:

One of the best things about NCL's Freestyle Cruising is getting to dress however you feel comfortable. On most NCL ships, only Le Bistro and the seafood restaurant (Ocean Blue or Bayamo) require men to wear long pants, collared shirts, and closed toe shoes. I always bring one dress to wear and my SO always brings a sports coat, just because sometimes we like to dress up for a "dinner date" when eating at the specialty restaurants or the more formal MDR. But most of the time it's t-shirts and jeans or shorts with sneakers.

I will say, if you are incredibly offended by other people dressing down, NCL might not be the right cruise line for you.

thank you for your reply no I am not a big dress up fan so will be glad I don't have to dress to the nines every night

is there anything to do in Orlando around the airport that's where I got our hotel as we arrive a day early before our cruise

42 minutes ago, celsk said:

thank you for your reply no I am not a big dress up fan so will be glad I don't have to dress to the nines every night

is there anything to do in Orlando around the airport that's where I got our hotel as we arrive a day early before our cruise

Check Trip Advisor for ideas. You can always Lyft/Uber to anywhere and enjoy the day. Check out CC Florida Departures:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/ There are ideas for Orlando.