gem skipping private island

oliver35

3 minutes ago, Autumnsierra said:

Is this for the upcoming trip on the 15th? I’m on it for my first ever NCL cruise. I’d be extremely annoyed if this is the case, when would a change be announced if this is the case?

I believe the OP is referring to where they are sailing right at this moment.

Was looked at ship's webcam & other data early, looked like they made an effort but pulled away for good reasons ... windy in the Berry Islands area, around 22-23 knots, and from what we learned previously from one NCL ship captain's Q&A, it's worst & difficult/unsafe when strong wind is coming from the north (in this case, showing northwest) for the tenders to dock & passengers to transfer.  

Once, the ship came to a full stop & checked, waited & then moved away for a fun day at sea, before going to Nassau overnight (when a berth is available as other ships scheduled leave for their day stop).  More recently, the bridge knew & made the announcement by the time we're at PC/leaving from there and sail for Nassau ... they maintain contacts & communicate with the shore-based NCL crew on the island, relaying safety updates to ships scheduled to be there soon.   In both instances, a non-refundable OBC was automatically posted back to our accounts - and shorex/tours on the islands booked, etc. were cancelled & refunded.  

Going to see if we get lucky next time (January' 19) and if not, Harvest Caye will do for us.  

Been there twice, never been able to get off the boat.  Once because of wind (which seemed very mild), once because of wave height.  Better safe than sorry.... but still disappointing.  We will be there in Feb, hoping the third time is the charm!

• Like 1

Been there 2x, made it to GSC 2x.  

first time I thought it was a little rough for the tenders.  I was surprised, looked like calm seas from my balcony. 

second time I knew to expect the unexpected and lo and behold it was an easy tender. 

it doesn't surprise me one bit that 1/3 of stops there don't tender to island.