Princess Insurance Questions

trbarton

I traveling with someone in March who is having some medical treatments & they’re not sure it will effect our trip. What happens if you’ve made your payments & one person can’t go & I don’t have anybody to take their place?  Am I going to be charged double if they have to cancel?  Anyone had this experience & if so what happened. We both have Preimum Insurance with Princess. 

Tom🤔

Tom,

In the past when this sort of situation has occurred, the key point was whether the companion canceled for a Covered Reason, or not.  If yes, then the remaining person was covered by insurance for the single fare upcharge.  

If no, then the remaining passenger is better off to also cancel using the Any Reason clause and take the credit for future use. Because they would be charged the single supplement if they chose to go.

The difficulty is knowing in advance if the medical issue is going to be Covered; in this case it sounds as if your companion has a Pre-Existing Condition which would not be covered.  

My partner & myself booked this cruise over a year ago. Just in the last month she has been going in for treatments so I’m not sure if that considered Pre- Existing as this is a new medical issue. I’ll call Princess to see what they say. Our Premium Insurance was purchased at the same time we made our reservation in May of 2017. 

Thanks for responding to me. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

My understanding is that if you both have insurance, and one has to cancel for a covered reason then they get their money refunded and the other gets the single supplement paid.  On the other hand if one uses the cancel for any reason then the other would have to pay the single supplement, or cancel as well.

As such the discussion should be with the insurance company concerning if her situation would be considered to be a covered reason. I doubt Princess would be able to answer the questions concerning the specifics, but the insurance company should be able to.

43 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I wonder if it matters whether the insurance was actually paid for at the time of booking vs. selected to be paid at final payment time?  I think it may actually have to be paid for to mark the pre-existing condition coverage as well as any other coverages.

Princess insurance has a 60 day look back period when you pay for it. So it is not automatic covering pre-existing conditions. So you would need to look at 60 days from when you paid for the insurance (not add it).

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

....I’ll call Princess to see what they say. Our Premium Insurance was purchased at the same time we made our reservation in May of 2017. 

Tom😎

Based on this statement, you would want to look at everything medical that happened in the 60 days immediately prior to when you booked (and simultaneously paid for the coverage).  If there were no doctor visits and nothing going on, then this would not be pre-exisiting.  If there were doctor visits, they need to be completely unrelated to what is happening now; not even a hint of this being a future problem.

Calling the insurance carrier may be* a good idea, but unfortunately they won’t be able to give you a complete answer...they will have to hedge their answers because no claim can be pre-determined.  Only after a claim is filed and reviewed by an adjuster will they give a complete yes or no answer, and that is far too late for you to decide what to do.  

What you can do is to review the limits in the policy and look at the exact wording, timing dates and exclusions.  The key to your claim will be when did the initial symptoms of the current illness first appear?  If this is something that has been building for years, or had little clues in blood work, or started with non-specific aches/pains, that could be a problem.  If it was something out of the blue, then it likely won’t be a problem.

*I cannot speak for Princess’ adjuster, but something as simple as asking for a claim form to review now ‘because you might have to cancel’, could be construed (by some claim processors, not all) as ‘proof’ that you already know that she will have to cancel.  That isn’t really the case, but you can see where the pitfalls lie.  There was a case here on CC not too long ago where someone who purchased the insurance at booking, like you, filed a claim and was required to show that the extra amount at booking had actually been applied to the insurance purchase at that time, and it was not just applied to the total amount due.  It was not enough that the total paid was the sum of the deposit + insurance premium.  They had to find proof that Princess acknowledged the insurance  purchase at that time.