Government Shutdown?

fabby50

11 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Let's check back in a month if this is still on going (good thing I am not in the U.S., just uncomfortably close).

If you’re so uncomfortably close, why are you commenting and sticking your nose in our business?  

Never mind. Don’t answer. I think the answer is obvious. 

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Who is "you?"  Me?  FYI, I work for DHS and I'm working without a paycheck right now.  No one understands what these people are going through better than me and about 800,000 of my fellow effected workers. 

Aquahound - I hope you survive this with minimal impact to your pocketbook and your health should you be covering for furloughed employees.

Added to those 800,000 direct hires are an untold number (could be even higher than direct hires) of contractors who, if the past is any indication, will not be paid retroactively.  Plus all the small businesses who provide goods and services in areas with high percentages of government employees and contractors are losing money everyday. 

We returned to the US through IAH today. 

We are Global Entry and that went quickly as usual. Today was the first time I've had to answer 'yes' to one of the customs questions (we toured a chocolate farm and a coffee farm in Costa Rica). When I gave the agent my form from the kiosk he asked about the item and I said I'd visited the farms. He said okay, accepted the form and sent me on my way. 

TSA went, if anything, faster than usual. After customs, there was a path for those connecting with carry-on luggage only. We didn't need to show ID and boarding pass (that's new). There was a dog checking as we passed through the line (presumably sniffing for explosives since this was after clearing customs). 

The screening was like TSA-pre for everyone (shoes & light jackets kept on, only metal out of pockets, through the metal detector) except they said to take laptops & tablets out of our bags. There was a significant line but the kept it moving at a fast clip.

I wonder if the changes were to run with lower staffing.