PSA: Taxi/Tour drivers, and common scam/deception. PLAYA/MAYA Palancar

Wishing on a star

We are recently back.  And, we had this problem with our driver...  Who is a MUCH recommended driver here.

Ugggghhhhh.

Everyone,  please be sure that if you are stopping at Playa Palancar that you DO actually get taken to Playa Palancar.

I thought I had some trust in our driver...  But, he pulled this on us...  I was not happy.

I was wondering why we were going down a longer, bumpy, dirt road than I expected...  Got dropped off in some back area...  couldn't even see the water from there.  Driver ushered us directly to a table, spoke to staff, and made sure we were sitting with a menu....   I had the feeling that something just was not right....  And now I think I remember reading about this here before.

So, we are sitting there, in the dirt/sand, around some shacks and the garbage right over to the side.

I tried to tell my husband that I wanted to go look around and check it out,  but our son had said he was hungry,  and nobody seemed to want to get up.

The minute our order was in,  I did get up,  and discovered rather quickly that, indeed, we were NOT at Playa Palancar,  but this little shack called Maya Palancar.

Prices were all at least $5.00 more - per plate.  : (

Right around the corner, there was Playa Palancar....  tons of people hanging out, enjoying themselves, 

Better, cheaper, food and drinks...  Some music...  Nice covered seating area...  etc.

WOW....

Went right back to where we had been seated...  And, our food came...  It was BAD...  We didn't even really eat it.

One plate was inedible...  the fish actually looked and tasted like cheap canned tuna-fish. 

My husband does not want to be confrontational, especially with being vulnerable, in a foreign country etc...

We just got up,  he paid what they wanted...  and we got up...  

I said, come here, you have to see this....

Went back up to Playa Palancar...  checked it out...  and went and told our taxi driver we were ready to go.

I can hardly believe that our 'trusted' taxi/tour driver, which is recommended many times here...  pulled this on us.

Sure hope our driver really enjoyed his kick-back.   (eye-roll)

Yes, it did cost him his tip when we got back to the ship.

We just handed him the minimum quoted fare, and walked off.

I am sorry,  but I see deception as one of the absolute worst...

I see it for what it is.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Sorry for your experience. Would be more helpful if you mentioned the company so people could be aware. Hopefully you also brought this to the attention of the owner of the company concerned so they can address the problem in the future?

i am unaware of this new beach bar but assume it is along the beach towards where Carnival used to have their private retreat since you were able to walk from one to the other and check out the prices? Have you been to Palancar before? It is a long way off the highway.

Just googled Maya Palacar and seems to be a sub-section of Playa Palancar so in retrospect your title seems a little harsh.Seems to have good reviews and here is the description on TA from management:

Response from Maya Palancar C | Property representative |
Hi Jennifer we are at same area and the entrance it's the same for both beach club, the difference are on concept, service, menu, hammocks, wifi, private and very clean bathrooms and many many other things, that's wy we are the VIP zone of palancar beach club. I hope this explain a little bit wats the difference. Thanks for ask and we waiting for you.

We have enjoyed Palancar but it had become busier on our last visit. Sorry it didnt work out for you.
Edited by c-leg5

Our experience was what it was.

No exaggeration...  No embellishment.  No unnecessary harshness.

I will,  AGAIN,  issue this PSA.

This was a complete deception/scam.

We were not dropped off at the entrance to the facilities at Playa Palancar.

We were manipulated.

We asked to stop at PLAYA PALANCAR...  we were very specific.... had even discussed the food... prices were mentioned.

Even the little. signage between the two is purposefully deceptive.   What was visible from where we were at said Playa Palancar.

There were like only one or two other scammed couples around.

Many many dozens of other travelers were, apparently, taken to the correct place.

WE WERE NOT.

I saw the nice entrance to Playa Palancar as we drove right by it on the way out.

People....  Do not be one of the those few other few guests who fall for this, and are taken to the wrong place, grossly overcharged for inedible food...  while others are enjoying the actual Playa Palancar restaurant and facilities.

Do not listen to the 'cheerleaders' here....

PS:  Our driver was Mario....  I could barely believe he pulled this.

This had a big impact on our day.

He did lose his tip.   Hope his kick-back from his 'amigo' at Maya Palancar was worth that.

Deception is one thing that I see for the vile thing that it is.

I can not support or condone it.

Wishing on a star.

This happens to others just using regular taxis.  You can be told that the place you asked to go to is closed or full or changed policy to All Inclusive, or any number of things and be driven to another place.  It can be confusing if you have never been to Cozumel before.  But your best bet is to stick with your original destination. 

There should have been a sign that said "Maya Palancar" that could have clued you in.

You should contact the service that provided the driver for the day and let them know you are displeased with the actions of Mario.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:53 AM, crewsweeper said:

Wishing on a star.

This happens to others just using regular taxis.  You can be told that the place you asked to go to is closed or full or changed policy to All Inclusive, or any number of things and be driven to another place.  It can be confusing if you have never been to Cozumel before.  But your best bet is to stick with your original destination. 

There should have been a sign that said "Maya Palancar" that could have clued you in.

You should contact the service that provided the driver for the day and let them know you are displeased with the actions of Mario.

Crew, Agree the OP should have contacted the company concerned.

I am not familiar with Maya Palancar as I havent been to Palancar in a couple of years. I was disappointed last time and felt it had become crowded - good for Palancar, not so good for me! It appears that Maya Palancar is a sub section of the same beach club according to the response from management on TA above. It would appear they were taken to Playa Palancar but involuntarily taken to the VIP section.

dd the menu say Playa Palancar or Maya?

• 4 weeks later...

Again...  I couldn't believe Mario did this.

This is not any 'section'... and especially not any kind of VIP section.

some makeshift tables in the dirt, next to shacks and the garbage...  Really????

Yes, two different menus...  seeing the different menu, and pricing, was what alerted me to what was going on.

And, where we were taken, you couldn't even see the water, much less the real Playa Palancar establishment.  Not only that,  but the signage that you could see was mis-leading.  I would imagine purposefully so.   I actually took pictures.

We were 'taken for a ride'.  No question.

We were charged WAY more...  Grossly over-charged for inedible food.

We were directly ushered in and seated....

I was telling my husband and son that I wanted to 'go look around'...  But we were being rushed into giving an order.   

Unfortunately, with my husband and son being totally unaware of any issue... nobody was really hearing me.

Or, yes, this would have been discovered right away...  and Mario would have seen what happened next.

We were on limited time, on a tour around the island.   We were not there to spend the day, or even half the day.    So, this really took away any time and enjoyment that we might have had there.

Again, hope our driver, Mario, enjoyed his kick-back, because it costed him his tip.

8 hours ago, paleskin said:

How much is the cab ride to Playa Palancar? Or Playa Maya area?

Fare to Playa Mia, Sanchos, Nachi, or PAradise Beach should be about $17 each way -- as mentioned above, the cab fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab.  If you have a bigger group there are van taxis available for a higher price.

11 hours ago, paleskin said:

How much is the cab ride to Playa Palancar? Or Playa Maya area?

Do you mean Playa Palancar and Maya Palancar ( the newer beach bar described in this thread) or Playa Mia with the water pools and activities?

We we’re almost scammed at Cozumel with a taxi driver.  I had researched the various Beach clubs and decided to go to Paradise Beach.  At the taxi stand at Puerto Maya , a taxi driver told some of our group who arrived early that Paradise Beach was not the price I had been quoted (a lie of course)and was not that nice, and that he had a much better place he could take us to.  Although some of our group seemed interested, I said no, we wanted to go to Paradise Beach.  

I’m sure he was getting a kickback for everyone he brought into the place he suggested.  And Paradise beach is still our go to place in Cozumel. Be very wary of taxi drivers!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal