ID for kids

Travelling to New Zealand with family (first time cruisers).  We would like to leave passports on board.  Adults all have drivers licence to use as alternative ID but what can I use for my son who will be 14 when we travel?  The Key Pass photo Id in Australia is either for 18+ or 15 to 18yrs.  I can't find anything for younger children.  Since I have read photo ID is required to get back on ship what have you all done? Thanks

Drivers licences have been fine for use in port but of course you would need the passports as well. To get onto the ships and back into Australia again. As for kids, I am not sure if you can get citizen cards but perhaps enquire or just use their passports.

Thanks every-one for your replies.  I'm concerned about the kids (teenager and two young adults) losing passports if they take them onshore.  They may not always be with either their Dad or me in ports for me to hold onto their passports.  Passports are bigger than ID cards and being boys/young men they don't carry hand bags.  I had read other posts where Posters advised leaving passports on board and they  just use drivers licenses to get back on the ship (for our NZ cruise we visit several ports between first and last landfall), hence my question.  Thanks for the suggestion MrandMrsCookie, I'll definitely photocopy passports. I guess we'll just use passports and hope they don't lose them

21 hours ago, dreamin'ofthesea said:

Thanks every-one for your replies.  I'm concerned about the kids (teenager and two young adults) losing passports if they take them onshore.  

I have been responsible for my own passport since I got my first at age 9, and I was travelling solo (and running a household) from 15 onwards.

Pretty sure a teen and two young adults can be responsible enough! But then - you know your own offspring - so its up to you. You and hubby could carry them. Re bags - for shore trips you would generally wanting to be carrying things like sunscreen and water etc - so I would assume even the guys would be carrying a small backpack of sorts.

For all my travels I usually scan my current passport - the main page plus any visa pages - and send it to my email account where I file it in a folder that isn't named something obvious like "ID". So on the rare off chance I ever lose it (hasn't happened yet in decades of international travel) - I can email a colour scan straight to the embassy etc. I do the same with front and back of my credit cards and my insurance policy. 

Electronic copy a good idea thanks.  They probably can be responsible but I just don't want the hassle if they lose it. its only a 2 week holiday.  Many years ago (before the internet and email - yes I know I'm ancient) I travelled with a friend who left her airline ticket behind at a hotel in France but didn't realise until we were at the airport presenting for a flight (a week later).  Being a weekend, with travel agents shut and with no electronic records it was a pain in the ......... And a passport is pretty fundamental to getting home.

On 12/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, dreamin'ofthesea said:

Travelling to New Zealand with family (first time cruisers).  We would like to leave passports on board.  Adults all have drivers licence to use as alternative ID but what can I use for my son who will be 14 when we travel?  The Key Pass photo Id in Australia is either for 18+ or 15 to 18yrs.  I can't find anything for younger children.  Since I have read photo ID is required to get back on ship what have you all done? Thanks

We've travelled to NZ a number of times when the kids were under 18 and you've really got no choice but to take the passports ashore with you. There are only a couple of ports that actually ask for the ID but when they do we've always had the passports for the kids. Drivers licences are fine for adults.

Trish

39 minutes ago, trishh said:

We've travelled to NZ a number of times when the kids were under 18 and you've really got no choice but to take the passports ashore with you. There are only a couple of ports that actually ask for the ID but when they do we've always had the passports for the kids. Drivers licences are fine for adults.

Trish

Thanks Trish

Very helpful. That's what I'll have to do

On 12/25/2018 at 5:06 PM, Russell21 said:

Having discussed this problem over Xmas NSW, registry offices will issue ID cards for kids due to the need for various purposes. I'm sure Vic roads would do similar.

Thanks Russell21 I can't see that they do but I will enquire further

We just got off a cruise to NZ and found only 2 ports that checked ID.  They were happy with photo ID and cruise card for the adults and just cruise card for the children as long as same surname on the children’s cruise card.