NO Lobster on 5 day.

us2swingu

1 hour ago, Crazy4Camping said:

If it wasn't our first and prob only cruise, I wouldn't be researching so much but I'm trying to be prepared.  For example, if it weren't for these boards I wouldn't have known that the cabins aren't like hotel rooms.  There aren't any of the usual things like a frig, microwave, coffee maker, iron, etc.  The food thing was a big selling point when our friends were trying to talk us into cruising but now I know not to have high expectations in regards to beef or seafood.  One person told me if we wanted prime rib or lobster options every night we needed to sail with Norwegian.  I would imagine most of the cruise lines are changing their menus though.  I agree that relaxing and perusing the menu at the end of a long day would be a better way.  I'm such a spaz that I usually figure out what I'm eating when we go out before we get there.  LOL

I plan restaurant food ahead of time mostly because I have to pay for whatever I order lol. Don't let these boards trick you. Cruising still revolves around food. I usually don't eat a lot, but on our last cruise I was so full and bloated that I was in pain! I actually thought I had appendicitis or something until a few puffs of air resolved the problem lol! 

There are so many beef options and seafood. Is there lobster every night or at all? No...but they have Salmon every night. My husband ordered it a lot. They also have sea bass sometimes, mahi mahi, I saw oysters last time, etc. 

There is always some kind of beef option even if it isn't prime rib. Filet mignon on some elegant nights, flat iron steak is almost always available, beef tenderloin, beef brisket, and the list goes on. They may not always be the leanest cuts, but they are still yummy and always have a super tasty sauce that is served with it. You will not go hungry 🙂

Edited by Doggielover68
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

I plan restaurant food ahead of time mostly because I have to pay for whatever I order lol. Don't let these boards trick you. Cruising still revolves around food. I usually don't eat a lot, but on our last cruise I was so full and bloated that I was in pain! I actually thought I had appendicitis or something until a few puffs of air resolved the problem lol! 

There are so many beef options and seafood. Is there lobster every night or at all? No...but they have Salmon every night. My husband ordered it a lot. They also have sea bass sometimes, mahi mahi, I saw oysters last time, etc. 

There is always some kind of beef option even if it isn't prime rib. Filet mignon on some elegant nights, flat iron steak is almost always available, beef tenderloin, beef brisket, and the list goes on. They may not always be the leanest cuts, but they are still yummy and always have a super tasty sauce that is served with it. You will not go hungry 🙂

This is good to know.  When someone posted a pic of the MDR  menu-I don't remember which ship it was-it was very limited(only like 5 choices for dinner).  Only seafood was salmon and only beef was flat iron steak.  It will be nice to have other options.  Hubby is way pickier than me so I worry about him more lol.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, Homosassa said:

On a recent cruise on another line, the young, straight out of college with a degree in hospitality head waiter had noticed that a number of passengers were not ordering the lobster on gala night.

He was curious and was asking those of us that didn't order the lobster the reason why we didn't.

We were seated halfway through his section and by the time he was at our table, he told us that the reason that we gave him (knowing the difference between the taste and flavor of a cold water lobster vs a warm water lobster) was the reason given by everyone he had questioned at that point.

The interesting thing he told us is that that tiny little tails are not even from the Caribbean.  They are imported from the coast of New Zealand and are considered "lobster" because taxonomically, they do have a some of the characteristics of the warm water caribbean species which has a taxonomic connection with cold water North Atlantic lobster.

When asked, he said that the sourcing of this species of "lobster" was pretty much the standard in Carnival Corporation lines and as far as he knew from trade scuttlebutt, was the same for Royal Caribbean and NCL.

To riff on the above, agreeing with it all, essentially:

When I lived in Australia (long time ago now), we called those local lobster-ish things "crayfish".  Which is still a term used today, apparently, though "rock lobster" seems to be preferred.

Rock lobsters have useful meat only in the tails - thus that is the "lobster tail" you get served in the MDR (and lots of land-based restaurants too).  Rock lobsters are in the group called spiny lobsters, which are also found in the Caribbean.

This is a good read on the differences in Australian rock lobster vs Maine lobster:

https://www.ehow.com/about_5315171_australian-lobster-vs-maine-lobster.html

So is there NO elegant night at all on a 5 day?

going to be on the Fantasy out of Mobile in April.

Or there is a elegant night just not lobster on the menu?

Does anyone have a menu that shows what you do get?  I don't care for lobster but my hubby liked it and I was going to tell him the news, and his first question is going to be...."well what is On the menu"!!!  LOL

13 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

So is there NO elegant night at all on a 5 day?

going to be on the Fantasy out of Mobile in April.

Or there is a elegant night just not lobster on the menu?

Does anyone have a menu that shows what you do get?  I don't care for lobster but my hubby liked it and I was going to tell him the news, and his first question is going to be...."well what is On the menu"!!!  LOL

There is elegant night, just no "lobster".

Google around for images of the menu for that ship/itinerary, or perhaps someone here has a recent one (or similar).

EDIT: This looks similar to the elegant night on the 4 and 3 night cruises we took last year:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/short_nolob.htm

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

If it wasn't our first and prob only cruise, I wouldn't be researching so much but I'm trying to be prepared.  For example, if it weren't for these boards I wouldn't have known that the cabins aren't like hotel rooms.  There aren't any of the usual things like a frig, microwave, coffee maker, iron, etc.  The food thing was a big selling point when our friends were trying to talk us into cruising but now I know not to have high expectations in regards to beef or seafood.  One person told me if we wanted prime rib or lobster options every night we needed to sail with Norwegian.  I would imagine most of the cruise lines are changing their menus though.  I agree that relaxing and perusing the menu at the end of a long day would be a better way.  I'm such a spaz that I usually figure out what I'm eating when we go out before we get there.  LOL

No lobster on NCL either, unless you pay for the steak house option.

RCCL still includes lobster and prime rib on their formal nights.

OP, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

37 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

There is elegant night, just no "lobster".

Google around for images of the menu for that ship/itinerary, or perhaps someone here has a recent one (or similar).

EDIT: This looks similar to the elegant night on the 4 and 3 night cruises we took last year:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/short_nolob.htm

The zucchini and eggplant parmesan is delish!

On 12/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, fyree39 said:

There are many RCCL and Carnival cruises out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale that are similarly priced and sometimes RCCL is cheaper.  There are plenty of times Carnival isn't cheaper.  I think people simply get used to one line and stay with it no matter what. I'm very glad we branched out and now enjoy the differences with all the lines.

My HAL cruise was dirt cheap compared to anything Carnival has.

This is very true. The price difference between NCL, RCI and Carnival are not much different these days. Definitely a far cry from what they were in the past. A lot of times Carnival is the more expensive choice. Especially when you take into account that other lines are offering dining/drink/tour/picture packages included with the price.

People aren’t the savvy shoppers they think they are. You’re getting a lot less with Carnival these days. Pay the same amount and go elsewhere. Or pay a little bit more and get a lot more.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:38 PM, txtravelerfamily said:

I recently had sushi at a local restaurant with lobster tail. It was far superior to Carnivals free lobster. This explains a lot.

It explains that you cannot compare land restaurants to cruise MDR’s.