What to wear on Ncl Breakaway on New Year's Eve

ninamb1973

On 12/27/2018 at 4:45 AM, ninamb1973 said:

First time cruising on NYE. From what I've read NCL is a more casual cruise line. Had I known I would have chosen a ship with a formal night. Do people at least dress formally on NYE? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to bring his suit because I would like to dress up. I'm going to be in a lot of trouble though if he gives in, wears his suit and ends up being one of a few dressed up guys. 

I have only been on one NCL cruise on New Years Eve, and that particular evening I would estimate that at least 75% of the people on board dressed up a bit (I guess similar to how they would have dressed up for NYE if going out "at home" instead of being on a cruise). Many women in dresses (every thing between the cocktail dress style to long formal types), and men in suit or tux. And if not dressed more formal, then the majority still at least dressed "smart cacual".

I should probably add that this cruise was in Europe, and the majority of the 25% of passengers on board who didn't dress up much on NYE were Americans. So if your cruise is sailing out of the US my guess is that there would probably be a 50-50 on who dresses up or not. And whatever you choose for your family that evening, you will be joined by many others. 🙂

Edited by TrumpyNor

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 4:45 AM, ninamb1973 said:

First time cruising on NYE. From what I've read NCL is a more casual cruise line. Had I known I would have chosen a ship with a formal night. Do people at least dress formally on NYE? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to bring his suit because I would like to dress up. I'm going to be in a lot of trouble though if he gives in, wears his suit and ends up being one of a few dressed up guys. 

Deleted, as I suddenly realized someone "revived" this old thread from 2018. I thought it was a new thread..... 

Edited by TrumpyNor

On 12/27/2018 at 1:23 AM, BirdTravels said:

“Formal night” Would be a Tux for the BF and a gown for you. Nothing less. NCL does not have any formal nights. 

NYE, you can force the BF to dress up. Or maybe a sports coat. Many on the ship will be cruise casual. 

Sailing on NYE always brings up memories of the Poseidon Adventure. 

Poseidon Adventure. You are dating yourself. I guess by acknowledging I saw it in the movie theater puts me in the same group, though. 

On 12/26/2018 at 7:45 PM, ninamb1973 said:

We will be cruise, too!  We have sailed on NYE several times and many people DO dress up for the evening.  We definitely will.  It's part of the fun for us!

4 hours ago, WindyCs said:

We are on the Epic on 12/26/21. Can't wait to see everyone again! Is the entire ship usually a party on NYE?

Windy, my husband and I are on the Epic beginning 12/26 as well.  Never been on a NYE cruise before but so ready to find out what it’s like!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

We will be cruise, too!  We have sailed on NYE several times and many people DO dress up for the evening.  We definitely will.  It's part of the fun for us!

Probably not, since the cruise mentioned in your quote happed 3 years ago. 

3 hours ago, GALSews said:

Poseidon Adventure. You are dating yourself. I guess by acknowledging I saw it in the movie theater puts me in the same group, though. 

Yes, the Bird is older now (since I posted the comment 3 years ago).

The Bird was already old when the movie came out in 1972. So,,, the Bird is really old now. 

• Haha 1