What to wear on Ncl Breakaway on New Year's Eve

ninamb1973

First time cruising on NYE. From what I've read NCL is a more casual cruise line. Had I known I would have chosen a ship with a formal night. Do people at least dress formally on NYE? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to bring his suit because I would like to dress up. I'm going to be in a lot of trouble though if he gives in, wears his suit and ends up being one of a few dressed up guys. 

2 hours ago, ninamb1973 said:

First time cruising on NYE. From what I've read NCL is a more casual cruise line. Had I known I would have chosen a ship with a formal night. Do people at least dress formally on NYE? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to bring his suit because I would like to dress up. I'm going to be in a lot of trouble though if he gives in, wears his suit and ends up being one of a few dressed up guys. 

We are on the same cruise. I’ve chosen to make the family dress up. Kids are wearing fancy clothes and hubby is wearing nice pants and a tie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ninamb1973 said:

“Formal night” Would be a Tux for the BF and a gown for you. Nothing less. NCL does not have any formal nights. 

NYE, you can force the BF to dress up. Or maybe a sports coat. Many on the ship will be cruise casual. 

Sailing on NYE always brings up memories of the Poseidon Adventure. 

• Haha 1

If you want to dress up then do so. That’s the point of freestyle, that you get to make these decisions for yourself rather than being dictated  to by the cruise line.

I’m sure that more people will dress up on New Years Eve than other nights, but there will still be plenty of people who won’t bother. You certainly wouldn’t be the only ones who do dress up, and you won’t stand out.

Just do what you want to do and don’t worry about anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Speasda said:

We will be with you.  I will probably have sport coat and tie , wife hundreds and Kids in pants with bowties.  Have to manage dress up with packing, not sure it makes sense to bring formal clothes for one night. 

I'm used to bringing formal clothing on cruises. The last two carnival cruises I went on had formal nights and the last NCL cruise I went on 10 years ago had two formal nights. I have always enjoyed formal nights on cruises because I don't get many opportunities to get dressed up at home. Was kinda bummed NCL changed it up.

• Like 2

we typically dont dress up ever.

however, NYE on board is special and fun.  we did Gem 2 years ago and are leaving on Escape tomorrow.   The whole ship was a party.  I bought a special sequined party gown for this sail.  I cant wait!!

best part is if you change time zones.  On Gem, we celebrated at ship's midnight which was only 11pm in NYC.  we partied all over again when the ball dropped (they had ryan seacrest on all the TVs).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ninamb1973 said:

You will see everything from people in tuxes to people in shorts. IF you want to dress formally I suggest making a late reservation at one of the specialty restaurants and then join the party top side as midnight approaches.

BTW unless you are flying there is no reason for him not to take a suit, even if he doesn't wear it.

11 minutes ago, lovetotraveltx said:

On this cruise also, so two dressy dresses is too much? Just one for new year's Eve?? I kind of packed nicer clothes for dinner. Doing 3 specialty.

We are also doing 3 specialty restaurants. I will be wearing something nice every night on the cruise, but bringing something a little more fancy for NYE.

27 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I'm assuming this is a Caribbean cruise.  I believe you will find more dressed in shorts, tee shirts and ball caps than in suits and ties.  

Well we will eventually be in the Caribbean. We sail out of NOLA, our first full day on board is at sea on NYE, so not expecting it to feel quite like the Caribbean at that point.

• 7 months later...
51 minutes ago, lana094 said:

How was the New Year Cruise. We are taking one this year! Just wondering about special activities, special menu, and tips??

Appreciate your response!

Did a New year's Eve cruise 2 years ago on The Getaway.  Parties all over the ship.  Very few people actually dressed fancy.  Very crowded and loud.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:11 AM, ninamb1973 said:

We are also doing 3 specialty restaurants. I will be wearing something nice every night on the cruise, but bringing something a little more fancy for NYE.

You will have people in shorts, even in the specialty restaurants. I think Le Bistro and maybe one other are the only ones that require pants. Many are dressed business casual, or khakis and sundresses. You will see a few here and there more formal. NYE you will have some others dressed more formally. Wear whatever you want. No one cares. That's one of the best things about NCL.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Epic last year for NYE.  As other posters have said, there was a huge range of attire, from formal gowns to shorts and tee shirts.  My family likes to dress up and did not feel out of place wearing somewhat dressy clothes every evening for dinner.  The nice thing is you can always go back to your room and change if you need to do so.  

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, nolatravelgirl said:

Anyone care to elaborate on NYE on the Breakaway? I know things could change due to COVID but would love to see the Freestyle from NYE to get a sense of activities.

2nd this as I am on the 12/26/21 Breakaway that is over the NYE holiday.

Funny to see this thread dug up - feels like a lifetime ago. We had a lot of fun. I don't think I ever changed out of shorts and was fine. We spent a lot of nights watching the game shows down below us in the atrium while we had chairs on the ledge looking down from O'Sheehans. 

Plenty of people were dressed up though. I think however you want to dress is up to you. Some people looks forward to getting dressed up but I still do not (even though I havent worn a suit in 16 months at this point). I'd still bring a nice pair of pants and a polo shirt just in case at a minimum. 

Regarding New Years itself I dont think there was anything special other then a bunch of balloons and a countdown. Ship was also decorated for christmas and it looked great.