Great Stirrup Cay

TOMTOMRN331

10 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

We won’t be there all day (I’m fair), but while we are there I would like a clam shell or umbrella. However,  neither is showing on the list of available items. I am hoping that the concierge can help with that once we board?  I had really hoped that the Haven area promised would be completed and offer some shade, but as with most construction it appears to be running a bit behind schedule!

I also recommend getting a clamshell on GSC. It's approx $40 for two lounge chairs, a shade thing, and most importantly..... a priority tender ticket. GSC can be brutally hot and shade at a minimum.... You can reserve on GSC but best to reserve on board at Excursion Desk to ensure you get one (can't pre book prior to cruise).... Latitude discount / Excursion promo can be applied to this. When you get to GSC just have the attendant give you a clamshell with a shade that has a mesh panel so that the breeze can pass through or else it's a sauna in the clamshell..... the clamshell part is separate from the lounge chair so if you find a good location but the clamshell doesn't have the mesh, just ask to change clamshell. Here's a thread with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546706

• Like 2

I am comparing GSC to Castaway Cay which may not be apples to apples.

Here goes with GSC:

The sun is behind you (in October anyway).  If you want sun, you have to turn your chair around.  Awkward.

There are many shady spots, so no need to pay extra $ for "Clamshell". Simply find a spot above the beach under the Palms and you will be fine.  It is a simple walk down to the beach should you want to refresh in the water and not have to pay for Clamshell $.  I did it...

I also got the first tender out,  because I signed up early when I boarded.  No extra $.

The fences are obtrusive.

The beach hurts the feet if you don't have water shoes.

People fight over a burger.

Lines are long for drinks.

Everyone wants to get to GSC at least once.  It is definitely one and done for me.  My opinion only.

I applaud NCL for the logistics involved in setting up GSC before pax arrive.  Other Cruise Lines do it, but it must be a logistical nightmare!.  My favorite bartenders were at GSC working their ass*s off and serving rude people.  I felt so bad for them. I am assuming they are the same rude people who also fought over a burger. Ahh...Private Island...

JMO 🙂

13 hours ago, esm54687 said:

I also recommend getting a clamshell on GSC. It's approx $40 for two lounge chairs, a shade thing, and most importantly..... a priority tender ticket. GSC can be brutally hot and shade at a minimum.... You can reserve on GSC but best to reserve on board at Excursion Desk to ensure you get one (can't pre book prior to cruise).... Latitude discount / Excursion promo can be applied to this. When you get to GSC just have the attendant give you a clamshell with a shade that has a mesh panel so that the breeze can pass through or else it's a sauna in the clamshell..... the clamshell part is separate from the lounge chair so if you find a good location but the clamshell doesn't have the mesh, just ask to change clamshell. Here's a thread with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546706

Glad to hear the excursion credit can be used. I was worried not to see any listed (when cabanas, etc were) so I will check at the excursion desk or concierge. Thanks 🙂

14 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Do you get priority tender with the Cabana?

7 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Although NCL owns the entire island, it is part of the Bahamas. The Commonwealth of the Bahamas is a country.

I just could not say I have visited the Bahamas after visiting GSC.