A few questions

shorti503

First of all we have a strange port time of 1:00 to 9:00 pm. We have never been to San Juan before and are a family of 6 - 4 kids ages 16, 14, 12 and 2 and are looking for what to do in Old San Juan.  Will we have enough time to get to see all of the Fort and which fort should we choose because I don't think we will have time for both.  Also what to do after dark? Will shops close later since the ship will be docked later?  Is there a place in San Juan to get passports stamped?

Thank you for the help!

I don't know of any place to get what would essentially be a novelty stamp for your passport and quite frankly I've never heard of it being done there. Maybe others can be of more help on this.

I guess you should be fine if you want to see both forts in 5 hours if you take a taxi to El Morro (the furthest one) and walk back to San Cristobal, then to the shops. Be off the ship as soon as possible so you can maximize you time. If you want a more leisurely time go to El Morro and make your way down from that fort and browse the shops with more time.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:53 PM, shorti503 said:

Thank you both.  We are now back to the drawing board as it seems that with the Government shut down the forts will be closed

Well that stinks. Our cruise is in 3-10 and I know a lot of the people were planning on doing the forts. I have done them before so I am just going to do some shopping, just to get off the ship. Good luck to you, hopefully the idiots who run our country will get their acts together....but I don't think that will happen 

Take them to El Morro anyway! They will not be able to enter the fort but there are kite vendors on the street that leads to it. Buy them kites and fly them on the green areas in front of El Morro. Lots of people do that and they will surely enjoy it. And you will have the fort as an awesome background for your pictures of them flying kites! When you're done, take Calle del Cristo down to the very end and take them to Parque de las Palomas (Pigeon Park), buy them each a $1 bag of peas or corn and feed the pigeons there. It's something they will never forget!

Don't worry about the stores since most of them will close later than usual when there are ship departing late.

Totally agree with Stinger-pr.  I'd still go to El Morro even if closed.  Take kites, frisbees, football, etc.  You can still get some great photos.  The walk down the hill and through the city gate and walk back to the ship along the ocean.  You will also pass a beautiful fountain and lots of cats.

We actually like the larger of the forts a little better, Castillo de San Cristobal.  Just head North from the cruise port uphill to the Fort.

Enjoy the sights at the fort and then slowly weave your way back to the South enjoying Old San Juan. Lots of architecture, restaurants and places to snack. Look for the Blue Cobblestones, parks and enjoy every minute. Great place to spend a few hours....

There is even a CVS across the street from the ships in case you need something.. LOL

Castillo de San Cristóbal

Edited by boscobeans

If your family is up to it head left out of the port keeping the water on your left you can walk a nice path out by the water then climb the stairs up to the fort and you can easily walk to both. Then walk back down to the ship through the town. You can see the ships from most areas so you shouldn't get lost!