Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Pfelling has fallen short of the expected rise and is staying below the forecast. It is at 291cm. The trend has also been adjusted and although it still indicates figures of minimally over 300cm, I think we can be sceptical of that happening by Friday morning.

notamermaid

The level at Pfelling is now at 301cm, so doing okay, but only just keeping around 300cm. There is an indication of a higher level for tomorrow.

The weather is a little warm for this time of year and a white Christmas looks out of the question for many areas along the German Danube as snow that has fallen or will fall in the next few days is not going to stay on the ground in the valleys.

G.M.T., any thoughts or predictions uttered for snowy days in the local news yet?

notamermaid

1 hour ago, dairymancruiser said:

How are the water levels? We leave next Friday out of Nuremberg and end in Budapest on Viking Tor. Thanks for any information.

You should be ok, some rain expected tomorrow.

Once past Pfelling, shallows between Straubing and Deggendorf (after Regensburg) you will have pleasant cruising.

Although you will miss most of the Christmas Markets (most close 23rd. December) if you are passing through Munich Airport, the Christmas Market there is open til 29th. December:

https://www.munich-airport.com/2019-christmas-and-winter-market-7383787

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A last look at Pfelling gauge before we close the season on the Danube. At 349cm, although predicted to fall, this should not cause us any headaches in the last few days remaining before the ships go to their winter harbours. Yes, companies are still sailing and especially German ones offer day trips on excursion boats or overnight stays with party evening or even trips of several days over New Year's Eve. An acquaintance of mine will ring in the new year on such a trip in Passau. I hope she has a great time and all the other cruisers, too.

@steamboats and @G.M.T.

Thank you for all your help with this thread this year. Watching Dinner for One? :classic_smile:🎆🍾

Hope you are in perfect shape to party and have a Great New Year!

For those not familiar with the peculiar German New Year's Eve tradition, here is the explanation courtesy of Deutsche Welle's Rachel Stewart: https://www.dw.com/en/dinner-for-one-whats-behind-this-bizarre-german-new-years-eve-tradition/av-51711675

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 5:52 PM, notamermaid said:

A last look at Pfelling gauge before we close the season on the Danube. At 349cm, although predicted to fall, this should not cause us any headaches in the last few days remaining before the ships go to their winter harbours. Yes, companies are still sailing and especially German ones offer day trips on excursion boats or overnight stays with party evening or even trips of several days over New Year's Eve. An acquaintance of mine will ring in the new year on such a trip in Passau. I hope she has a great time and all the other cruisers, too.

@steamboats and @G.M.T.

Thank you for all your help with this thread this year. Watching Dinner for One? :classic_smile:🎆🍾

Hope you are in perfect shape to party and have a Great New Year!

For those not familiar with the peculiar German New Year's Eve tradition, here is the explanation courtesy of Deutsche Welle's Rachel Stewart: https://www.dw.com/en/dinner-for-one-whats-behind-this-bizarre-german-new-years-eve-tradition/av-51711675

notamermaid

Happy New Year,

Dinner for One, can confirm I have never see it screened in England even though it originates from an English script with well known English actors, but was filmed in Germany about  1962 by NDR.

Saw some interesting facts last week, the number of cruise ships have doubled in Passau over the last 9 years and there has been an eight fold increase over the last 30 years. Is there an end in sight?

The Passau Council has published a Cruise Manual, unfortunately I have not found an English version as yet:

Happy New Year to all Ocean & River Cruisers, Lurkers and Trolls

Passau Cruise Manual.pdf

Happy New Year!!!!!!  Thanks for all the info from you, Notamermaid, G.M.T, and steamboats.  You have been such a great help when planning river trips.  Next year we are taking a barge trip with Road Scholar in the south of France.  Something different after 28 river cruises.  Am so glad we started cruising in 2001 before the rivers became so crowded.

Here"s to health, happiness and lovely rivers to cruise in the new year and decade.  Pat

• Like 5

Thanks to everyone who contributed, this was really helpful. We got luck that our 11 December departure was right into a time of rising water levels, so I didn't need to worry once we were on the boat. In fact, it was never mentioned by anyone on the ship.

I didn't get to enjoy a halbe meter wurst, but we did try mulled wine in a bunch of countries, and loved every glass. I even made some for New Year's. 

25 minutes ago, mkerner said:

Notamermaid - Will you be doing a 2020 updated thread?  Your information is so valuable.  Please leave a link if you are doing it.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Have a look here:

On 1/2/2020 at 3:01 PM, mkerner said:

Notamermaid - Will you be doing a 2020 updated thread?  Your information is so valuable.  Please leave a link if you are doing it.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Thank you for your wishes and kind words. Here is the link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2721657-danube-water-levels-2020-and-similar-topics-plus-tips-and-info/

Have a good New Year.

notamermaid