Drone question (AGAIN)

dssking

Brought my drone on the Escape in July to Bermuda.  Put it in my checked bag with the batteries and controller was in my wife's checked bag.  When we got our luggage after boarding the ship I was very nervous opening up my bag!  Luckily, the drone was there and didn't even look like anyone looked inside our bags.  I brought the drone off the ship in Bermuda, flew it around a bit then we headed back onto the ship.  When we went through security an office asked me what was in my bag and I told him it was a drone.  He gave me a slip to hold onto and he said anytime you get off the ship and want to use the drone just give us this slip and we will bring it to you.  I was able to keep the batteries, controller and SD card and they just took the drone while on board.  Every time I got off the ship they brought me the drone right near the metal detectors and it was a very simple process.  I have the mavic pro and I'd also recommend separate cases for the drone, battery, controller, etc.

Hope this information helps!

• Like 3

I never had a problem with them providing the owners keep their birds stowed away while the vessel is under way.  Fly in/on/around the ship while underway and you're in big trouble.

Ashore, do as you please but be aware laws are different than home but if you use common sense you shouldn't find yourself in the jackpot of hot water. 😉

Cheers,

Norman

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 3:38 PM, JCGolfer86 said:

Brought my drone on the Escape in July to Bermuda.  Put it in my checked bag with the batteries and controller was in my wife's checked bag.  When we got our luggage after boarding the ship I was very nervous opening up my bag!  Luckily, the drone was there and didn't even look like anyone looked inside our bags.  I brought the drone off the ship in Bermuda, flew it around a bit then we headed back onto the ship.  When we went through security an office asked me what was in my bag and I told him it was a drone.  He gave me a slip to hold onto and he said anytime you get off the ship and want to use the drone just give us this slip and we will bring it to you.  I was able to keep the batteries, controller and SD card and they just took the drone while on board.  Every time I got off the ship they brought me the drone right near the metal detectors and it was a very simple process.  I have the mavic pro and I'd also recommend separate cases for the drone, battery, controller, etc.

Hope this information helps!

Thank you for the sensible and informative reply.   I'll do just that.  With cabins as small as they are. I'd rather have them keep it anyway.   Mine is rather large (Phantom 3). 

Appreciate it!

38 minutes ago, dssking said:

Thank you for the sensible and informative reply.   I'll do just that.  With cabins as small as they are. I'd rather have them keep it anyway.   Mine is rather large (Phantom 3). 

Appreciate it!

No problem. It's frustrating when people come in here to just bash drones and talk about how they shouldn't be allowed anywhere...

Hopefully you have no issues with your Phantom.  They are actually doing you a favor by storing it for you while on board!

1 minute ago, JCGolfer86 said:

No problem. It's frustrating when people come in here to just bash drones and talk about how they shouldn't be allowed anywhere...

Hopefully you have no issues with your Phantom.  They are actually doing you a favor by storing it for you while on board!

Understood and agree..... Typical forums though......you always get the people who simply read from the site, or someone on the other end at the cruiseline who is reading from a script.  But yes, understand 100%.

Happy you got the answer you were looking for, however I fail to understand why you get upset with the people that let you know what the written policy is. It has nothing to do with bashing drones. Keep in mind that what happens on a Caribbean cruise may not be the same result as in Hawaii. For that matter each ship may be different since they seem to be ignoring the policy. However all it will take is someone to claim their drone was damaged while in storage or fly around the ship while in port and damage something will put taking them onboard a thing of the past. Also at what point will they say storing them is becoming a pain? How many are they willing to store on a single cruise it is not like they have unlimited space. Since there is a written policy about no drones they won't have to warn you ahead of time about not taking them.  I have nothing against drones or the people who fly them as long as they are flown responsibly. Unfortunately as we all know the more drones in use the better the chance of someone doing something  really stupid and ruin for all the responsible people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dssking said:

Understood and agree..... Typical forums though......you always get the people who simply read from the site, or someone on the other end at the cruiseline who is reading from a script.  But yes, understand 100%.

Right? How dare people answer questions about a cruise line policy by citing the cruise line's policy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Right? How dare people answer questions about a cruise line policy by citing the cruise line's policy.

Especially when the cruise line's policy is not an answer to the question that was asked. 

21 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Especially when the cruise line's policy is not an answer to the question that was asked. 

Sure. He wants some sort of assurance that the cruise line will not follow their own policy. Nobody here can guarantee that. For every rule/policy that exists, examples exist of that policy being ignored/violated. This is everywhere in life.

The fact that policy is sometimes ignored is not a reason to believe that you will also have that same experience.v 

So, OP may luck out, but maybe not. I think that's what people are trying to clear up for him. 

On 1/11/2019 at 4:20 PM, dssking said:

For the few that responded last time, THANK YOU.   Second Go Around and more direct :

Has anyone ever boarded an NCL ship RECENTLY with a drone ?

Calling NCL yielded no results other than what the customer service rep reads off of their site.  SO.....

Pack the drone in your checked luggage. I'm assuming your bringing a DJI Mavic? The Phantoms are a little too large to bring on ships. Anyway put it in a small back pack when you are leaving and returning to the ship at port. When returning your pack will go thru the scanner, if they don't see it get your bag and keep walking. If they do, you will be questioned what it is. They will put in a security room and will note your name and cabin number. At your next port if you want to take it off they will give it to you. I would remove any memory cards prior to going on the ship. I had a nice 15 minutes conversation with one of the officers when mine was taken the first time. He was really into drones and R/C planes. They just don't want people flying them on the ship. Their are plenty of videos on YT of idiots who have.....and lost them LOL

Edited by Laszlo

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Pack the drone in your checked luggage. I'm assuming your bringing a DJI Mavic? The Phantoms are a little too large to bring on ships.

Yes sir......it's a Phantom 3.... I also have the hard shell backback......so..... so tempted to buy the Mavic but since this is the first one and purchased for the vacation, I'll try it......but I can see myself quickly upgrading........  I assume you love yours....the shots one can obtain with these are amazing!!

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, dssking said:

Yes sir......it's a Phantom 3.... I also have the hard shell backback......so..... so tempted to buy the Mavic but since this is the first one and purchased for the vacation, I'll try it......but I can see myself quickly upgrading........  I assume you love yours....the shots one can obtain with these are amazing!!

Cheers!

I do, I just bought the Mavic 2 

20 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Sure. He wants some sort of assurance that the cruise line will not follow their own policy. Nobody here can guarantee that. For every rule/policy that exists, examples exist of that policy being ignored/violated. This is everywhere in life.

The fact that policy is sometimes ignored is not a reason to believe that you will also have that same experience.v 

So, OP may luck out, but maybe not. I think that's what people are trying to clear up for him. 

I missed where he asked for a guarantee.  He asked for the experiences of people who took their drone on the ship and as you can see from the responses there are plenty who have.

...but hey....maybe go read #22 for us again...that will be beneficial.

Edited by ray98

31 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I missed where he asked for a guarantee.  He asked for the experiences of people who took their drone on the ship and as you can see from the responses there are plenty who have.

I guess if everyone said that they were not allowed to use their drone it would be different right? When someone asks about experiences it means that they are looking what will happen in their case. I don't think he was asking about did you enjoy flying it. No one is saying he shouldn't take it, but he needs to be aware that it might just get locked up for the duration and it was a waste of time bringing it. The more people bringing them will put more of a burden on the cruise lines. they may and probably will have to draw the line.

The other question I have is there a liability for the cruise lines handing the drones back to the users thus allowing them to fly in foreign countries?  Again, right now it may not be an issue, but go into a port with 4 or 5 ships multiply that by 7+ drones a ship that is now 35+ drones. That could be a problem.  What can you do if local law enforcement say you are not allowed to fly and wants to confiscate your drone? Argue and miss the ship, probably not.

Again the bottom line is what happened yesterday is no yardstick on tomorrow.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Nobody starts a second thread on the same day about the same topic if they weren't looking for a way to skirt around policy. The policy is the policy. I wish him luck. I mean that; I hope he gets to bring it.

Have you ever seen someone come to this forum after a cruise and complain that they had their bottle of liquor confiscated? They only brought it because others on this forum were able to sneak their's on.

He is aware of policy, and he's had 2-3 people who were able to break the policy with success. I seriously wish him luck; perhaps the policy is not enforced at all, or perhaps, a few people luck out and others don't.

No way to know for sure.