Use of travel kettle in cabin

tennistilly

1 minute ago, bama4cruisin said:

And I was going with the time at disembarkation when the table to reclaim items confiscated at embarkation held 6 rice cookers . . . Nope, yours wins hands down!

Rice cookers are definitely a close second place!

Lots of UK passengers take kettles onboard, they just keep them out of sight of the room steward.  As long as the kettle switches off automatically they pose almost no risk. Hair straighteners are far more dangerous 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hpeabody said:

AFIK kettles are only provided in cabins on Asian cruises.  Princess has VERY strict rules about electrical things like that and plug adapters with surge protection.  I suspect if you try to bring your own aboard it will be confiscated.

It for sure will be confiscated.  Take a tour down to the naughty room and take a look inside the big bin carts loaded with electrical appliances and bottles of booze confiscated.  We had the misfortune of being called down to the naughty room.  DH locked our suitcases and they thought they saw something in the bag that they thought was contra band.  It was a shower brush they were interested in.  But while down there, I looked into the electrical appliance bin.  There was an electric skillet, a waffle iron, a percolator and a toaster.  I had to laugh.  In the booze bin I cried!  Big bottles of Grey Goose, Maker's Mark, it was sinful, an abuse of alcohol.

We have taken a thermostatically controlled hot water pot on every cruise we have taken (over 100) and only once have we been questioned. When we showed them it was thermostatically controlled it was approved. Many cruises in the past few years so, for us at least, we will continue to bring it.  Wife just has to have her VIA (SBUX) coffee early each morning 🙂

On our recent cruise on the Sapphire from Southampton to Singapore, there were kettles in all the cabins which we really appreciated.  As soon as we docked in Singapore all the kettles were removed.  If it is safe to use kettles for a 38 night cruise surely they can be used on all cruises.  It would save room service a lot of work.

Anne

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kerryincork said:

toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

I always think this is funny, how they list toasters and cooking appliances as being restricted😊

Who would bring a toaster or some other cooking appliances with them on a cruise? 🤔

I think a travel kettle would be quite common on a holiday, I know my mother would bring one & I remember my grandma bringing a heating element with her. You used to put the element in a cup of water and it would boil the water. I even remember her cooking boiled egs with it😂

Must be an english thing then. P and O have kettles in all their cabins. I agree i would be more worried about hair straighteners which i do not use. 

12 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The safety letter from Princess states “The use of extension cords with surge protection devices is prohibited in staterooms, as is the use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters as well as irons. Please do not bring this type of equipment with you”.

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

In section 13 of the Passage Contract it refers passengers to a complete list of prohibited items:  https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

There it states “Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark”.

The safety letter indicates that thermostatically controlled kettles would be allowed but are not shown in the list of non surge protected devices allowed.  I’ve never needed a kettle but the reason for people having different experiences could be the bottom line giving shipboard personnel the authority to decide what’s allowed.  It’s the same thing with what the TSA allows when their website says it’s allowed but individual agents make the final determination about taking anything through security.

Thanks for taking time to guide me to the definitive answer.  Appreciated.

If kettles are provided by the cruise line, then they are routinely taken out of service and tested and inspected by the electricians for proper operation and safety.

The major concern with things like tea kettles and travel steamers is exactly what several posters above have claimed is the reason "they are safe", namely the "thermostat" or "auto-off" switch.  These are notoriously the one thing on these appliances that do fail, and I've seen one or two of the ones the line provided go up in flames while being tested in the electrical shop.  You just need to look back to the 80's when Mr. Coffee almost went out of business from lawsuits over house fires caused by their coffee maker "auto-off" switches failing.  Even UL doesn't recommend you rely on the "auto-off" feature, but unplug the appliance after every use.

I was always surprised that Princess, alone of all the major lines, including the other lines of parent Carnival PLC, would allow "thermostatically" controlled kettles, but according to fishywood that has been changed.

On  the Sapphire last year from UK round trip, we had kettles in all staterooms, along  with a hospitality tray. Understand that it started July/August 2018 and proved very popular.

As Sapphire is based in Southampton again in Spring/Summer 2019, would assume it will be provided again. Only time will tell !!!

1 hour ago, crows nest club said:

On  the Sapphire last year from UK round trip, we had kettles in all staterooms, along  with a hospitality tray. Understand that it started July/August 2018 and proved very popular.

As Sapphire is based in Southampton again in Spring/Summer 2019, would assume it will be provided again. Only time will tell !!!

I hope so, but we will be taking a couple of good travel mugs with us so  I can have  strong coffee every morning.  Not all of us  Brits drink lots of tea :classic_biggrin: