Front of the ship?

zitsky

8 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

We have known people (on cruises where all the drinks had to be paid for n board, in the bad old days before drinks packages) spend virtually all the cruise in the bars (as long as the bars were open), and then they would have drinks parties in their cabins when the bars were closed!  I simply don't see the point of that.

Brings back memories of Australia Cruising back in the 70's. Only thing that changed was different faces every 2 weeks. 🙂

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thank you... but now I have to go figure out what a "faux yea" is.  (Kidding)

I will remember 2 and 4 elevators.  Lower cabin numbers towards the front of the ship.

Hey, I'm from Philly and there is nothing fake about it--and it has an R at the end--none of this hip, hip hooray stuff.

Yes, LOL, my vocabulary does distinguish me in time and place--Philadelphia, 50s, 60s and 70s. I also call my fizzy drinks "soda," drink from a water fountain and use an eraser and rubber bands--and 35 years in Boston has not changed my vocabulary...much.  You can bet your sweet Rs on that. So, go ahead. Tease me about my vocabulary. I can take it. I'm tough.

All kidding aside, now, what word would you use to describe that small area where you stand and wait for the elevators?

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Hey, I'm from Philly and there is nothing fake about it--and it has an R at the end--none of this hip, hip hooray stuff.

Yes, LOL, my vocabulary does distinguish me in time and place--Philadelphia, 50s, 60s and 70s. I also call my fizzy drinks "soda," drink from a water fountain and use an eraser and rubber bands--and 35 years in Boston has not changed my vocabulary...much.  You can bet your sweet Rs on that. So, go ahead. Tease me about my vocabulary. I can take it. I'm tough.

All kidding aside, now, what word would you use to describe that small area where you stand and wait for the elevators?

The waiting room?

And fizzy soda is called pop.

I haven't seen anyone explain that there is an easy way to tell whether you are on the port or starboard side of the ship when you get off an elevator or are using the stairs.  All port side cabins end in even numbers and all starboard side ones end in odd numbers.  If you are going towards the bow, the cabin number get lower and if they are getting higher, you are going towards the stern. Since there are no inside cabins, it makes for an easy to remember and logical numbering system.

44 minutes ago, Senior Gators said:

I haven't seen anyone explain that there is an easy way to tell whether you are on the port or starboard side of the ship when you get off an elevator or are using the stairs.  All port side cabins end in even numbers and all starboard side ones end in odd numbers.  If you are going towards the bow, the cabin number get lower and if they are getting higher, you are going towards the stern. Since there are no inside cabins, it makes for an easy to remember and logical numbering system.

Getting off the forward elevators isn't a problem. Left is port. But if you are using the stairs, left is starboard.

Aft stairs, left is port.

The aft elevators are a different story because there are four of them, two each facing each way. You just have to read the signs. I always have to read the signs because I get turned around before I even get into the elevators.

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Well I think I'd refer to those areas as 'landings', since if someone goes up a flight of stairs and reaches the next deck (floor) the floor area where you complete moving from one floor to another is called a landing.

However, :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:,  when nearing a port with a busy airport, don't leave the landing lights on :classic_biggrin:!

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Elevator Lobby