Norovirus spread and sea pass cards

lizzie_m

Also, hand sanitizer is a solvent for grease and oils.  So it removes oils from your skin, causing micro cracking of the skin surface.

These micro crack provide a harborage for bacteria to actually grow.

My ex, who is a microbiologist always laughed at people using hand sanitizer every time they touched something, thinking they were doing something good.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

Also, hand sanitizer is a solvent for grease and oils.  So it removes oils from your skin, causing micro cracking of the skin surface.

These micro crack provide a harborage for bacteria to actually grow.

My ex, who is a microbiologist always laughed at people using hand sanitizer every time they touched something, thinking they were doing something good.

A lot of hand sanitizers also have moisturizers built in.

Look at how many millions of people are using hand sanitizers and not walking around with infected lesions all over their hands.  :classic_rolleyes:

Plain and simple, using hand sanitizer is better than doing nothing at all.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:42 AM, lizzie_m said:

Wow!  I only used bartenders as an example.  There are many things we have to be careful of.  I always wipe menus and use Purell after touching them if they are paper. I think I'm sorry I mentioned it.

Oh shoot, I was just teasing!:classic_cool:

On 1/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, PelicanBill said:

I had norovirus once on a cruise.  Managed through it for 2 days on my own with OTC meds.

The major reason for getting noro is in contaminated food. That is according to the CDC.  

That said, it is easy to catch all kinds of viruses in close quarters.  Here is the paranoid list of how to minimize risks:

Wipe down cabin touched surfaces, handles, etc with disinfecting wipes

Wash hands often, use hand sanitizer often, don't touch your face, don't eat finger foods with your fingers

Use paper towels to open rest room doors

Do not place hands on railings, I "hover" my hands or arm over railing instead

Buffet serving utensils! use hand santizer after every trip

Bartender/waiter  hands you a glass - sanitize hands and glass

I don't do all of this reliably.  But I have stayed healthy for many cruises now.

Very good advice above. I try to follow those guidelines also. One thing about using Purell, which I do a lot: I don't expect it to kill the virus, but using Purell, then wiping my wet hands on something like a paper towel (or even my pants!) I believe physically removes the pathogens. I have no proof of that, it just sounds good to me. The best defense is trying not to touch anything, and to wash hands a lot. We always have dry hands at the end of a cruise.....that's okay!:classic_cool:

On 1/14/2019 at 10:42 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Money is the most handled the most traveled and has the most germs.  I wonder, if I dropped a $10 bill on the floor how many of the germaphobes would take a nose dive to retrieve it?

I would....after putting on gloves.....but then I would leave it in the sunshine and open air for 2 days before handling it! :classic_rolleyes:

PS - That's supposed to be funny.......

• Like 1

I guess we all have to pick our poison. Hmmm ....should I avoid the handrail on a moving vessel to avoid germs or possibly fall down a flight of stairs and maybe take out a few passengers who may be in front of me? Personally I would gamble on the handrail. 

Edited by Iamcruzin