Is this new Dress to impress?

11 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Our empress sailing was also 7 nights. No formal night.  

The intro of formal night seemed to have started last year on the longer cruises and even then only one of them seem to be actually called "formal" and the other is this new designation "Dress to impress".

This is still a mystery to us.  Our cruising history is over 40 voyages with Princess whose dress suggestion on "formal night" was a tux, dark suit, dresses for women, etc.  We had cruised with RCI many years ago and they had a formal night dress code which was similar to Princess and we followed that.

Next month we are sailing to Cuba on the Majesty of the Seas and I researched other 5 day itineraries with RCI and found a copy of a daily newsletter they put out and it showed the "Dress to Impress" for the second night and next to that was "White Attire".  In this thread I get the feeling that anything goes as long as it's consistent with proper dining room attire.  The "White Attire" is still confusing and wonder if anyone might know what that means?

Regardless, we will probably have slacks and a dress shirt to wear for that night and the following night in Havana.

Hard to find a definitive answer to the definition of Dress to Impress.  On our upcoming 5 day Key West & Havana voyage, we have decided to go with dress slack and a dress shirt for the guys with a nice dress for the ladies.  Our guess is that on "White Attire" night it meant a white shirt, but heck, if the daily paper put out by the ship doesn't define what the dress code is, then maybe it means "tighty whitie" is what to wear.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:52 AM, Husky1987 said:

BINGO. If anyone thinks “formal night” is anything more than a cruise line trying to make a few extra bucks selling photos, they’re fooling themselves.

I disagree. I see formal night as an opportunity to wear a floor length dress and boyfriend to wear a smart suit. I don't get to wear floor length dresses often so I love the opportunity to get dressed up. On the other nights, I'll always wear a nice cocktail dress or smart playsuit.

For me, I love wearing my casual beach clothes during the day then getting 'dressed up' in the evening. I don't do it for the formal photos, I do it to feel good.

• Like 3