Great Stirrup Cay

rhinomike

We will be there in April on the Sky. What is there to do on the island besides water stuff?  We love water activities. We already reserved a cabana. But some of the people we are going with aren’t lay around by the beach people. I know there is snorkeling, wave runners, etc....   anything else to do?  Any exploring or excursions?  Any pointers or tips for our visit there?  Thank you. 

9 hours ago, rhinomike said:

We will be there in April on the Sky. What is there to do on the island besides water stuff?  We love water activities. We already reserved a cabana. But some of the people we are going with aren’t lay around by the beach people. I know there is snorkeling, wave runners, etc....   anything else to do?  Any exploring or excursions?  Any pointers or tips for our visit there?  Thank you. 

There will be excursions listed online for you to choose from for Great Stirrup Cay... things like Jet skis ,  Parasailing,  Sting Ray City, Marine Life Encounter tour, kayaks, Paddle boards, etc  and more.

• 1 month later...

We are hoping to be at GSC next week... We hope to wander around the island and explore.  Has anyone recently been ashore?  Have the renovations for the Haven area been completed?  We kayak and SUP all summer in the lake behind our house so really are not excited about that, but can we rent equipment (snorkel gear and SUP's) on the fly if we get bored?  

On 1/17/2019 at 10:44 PM, rhinomike said:

You can book excursions for it, boats, wave runners, etc, but I found them all to be very overpriced for what they were going to deliver. In my book it's honestly a lay around the beach type of place. I was there in early February and the big ticket item like the ziplines weren't done yet.

You're best off just using the drink package, setting up a base of operations on a lounger somewhere, and getting some sun for a couple hours before you have lunch and get back on the ship. 

15 minutes ago, Paelos said:

You can book excursions for it, boats, wave runners, etc, but I found them all to be very overpriced for what they were going to deliver. In my book it's honestly a lay around the beach type of place. I was there in early February and the big ticket item like the ziplines weren't done yet.

You're best off just using the drink package, setting up a base of operations on a lounger somewhere, and getting some sun for a couple hours before you have lunch and get back on the ship. 

It becomes a bit cheaper if you have a shore excursion credit though.  But for the most part it is like a private beach excursion in itself, for free.

Highly recommend the wave runner tour. The crew is a blast and they take you out to some of the clearest waters I've ever seen. They also separate the group into two - one that is comfortable riding jet skis and wants to go faster, and the other that's filled with first-timers and people who prefer to take things slow and enjoy the scenery. My boyfriend was a first timer, but it only took him a moment to warm up and join the first group. 

We're glad we decided to venture out from the island and that we booked that excursion specifically! You can snorkel, canoe or zipline at most Caribbean ports, but not jet ski. 

6 minutes ago, seizetheseas said:

Highly recommend the wave runner tour. The crew is a blast and they take you out to some of the clearest waters I've ever seen. They also separate the group into two - one that is comfortable riding jet skis and wants to go faster, and the other that's filled with first-timers and people who prefer to take things slow and enjoy the scenery. My boyfriend was a first timer, but it only took him a moment to warm up and join the first group. 

We're glad we decided to venture out from the island and that we booked that excursion specifically! You can snorkel, canoe or zipline at most Caribbean ports, but not jet ski. 

Thanks!  I saw the reviews for that were pretty good, but they did mention the whole thing was maybe 30 mins actually on the wave runners and no real "tour" of the area.  Still worth it, though?  

Currently I am planning on a clamshell with my shore excursion credit.  When we went to Royal's private island we took a long walk through the "woods" and saw iguanas and birds on our trip to a more secluded beach.  My kids (even as teenagers) can spent hours digging in the sand.  I just wanted to have the option to rent stuff if they decide to snorkel or something.  I assume the equipment is all on property already and not shuttled over...  

1 hour ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

Thanks!  I saw the reviews for that were pretty good, but they did mention the whole thing was maybe 30 mins actually on the wave runners and no real "tour" of the area.  Still worth it, though?  

Currently I am planning on a clamshell with my shore excursion credit.  When we went to Royal's private island we took a long walk through the "woods" and saw iguanas and birds on our trip to a more secluded beach.  My kids (even as teenagers) can spent hours digging in the sand.  I just wanted to have the option to rent stuff if they decide to snorkel or something.  I assume the equipment is all on property already and not shuttled over...  

I’m sure you can rent snorkel equipment, but I’m guessing wave runners, kayaks, and paddle boards will be booked.

• Like 1