Miami post cruise - couple hrs free

JC in CA

Hello,

Planning WAY ahead here, we will have a few hours after disembarking the Mariner next October.  Our flight isn't until 6 PM out of MIA.  Any suggestions on what do do between leaving the ship and needing to be at the airport?

thanks in advance!

-Jerie

Nope- won't be Regent air - had to book our own for business class - much better price on our own.  Will we still be able to do a post cruise excursion without using Regent air?  I couldn't find anything on the website about post cruise excursions, only during the cruise.

-Jerie

3 hours ago, JC in CA said:

Nope- won't be Regent air - had to book our own for business class - much better price on our own.  Will we still be able to do a post cruise excursion without using Regent air?  I couldn't find anything on the website about post cruise excursions, only during the cruise.

-Jerie

You won't read anything about this - it only appears once you are onboard - generally midway through your cruise.  You will have to ask Destination Services about whether these excursions are available to you (or someone may pop in on this thread and let you know).  

I know that a few years ago Tom Noon had an evening flight back to London after disembarking that morning.  Regent did the transfer to the airport and dropped them for a few hours at a large mall (maybe Aventura?  I don't remember).  Then took them to the airport.  Their luggage was kept for them all day.

Personally I would take a day room in a Miami Beach hotel and have lunch on Lincoln Road  or Ocean Drive (Byblos is fantastic! )  and relax before the flight.

• Like 1

If you are finishing a cruise in Miami and have a late flight then Regent normally just offers the option of the HO-HO bus.

The tour operator meets you at the cruise terminal, stores your luggage (in the back of an attended truck at Bayside Marketplace) and then transfers you to the airport at a time suitable for your flight.

Not particularly a luxury experience but uses up the spare hours.

There are restaurants & bars at Bayside Marketplace if you have time to kill between your HO-HO bus tour and your transfer to the airport.

The tour is included for those who booked their flights & transfers through Regent; I assume there will be a charge for those who are travelling independently.

The tour is normally offered with the disembarkation paperwork a few days before the end of the cruise. If you want details earlier then speak to the Destinations staff on board or try contacting the Regent office in advance. 

• Like 1

The issue with doing something like the HoHo bus is what to do with your luggage, right?  That's the big stickler.  Otherwise I'd say, get yourself down to South Beach and see that part of town, and if the weather's nice, spend a little time on the beach.  Perhaps you could rent a car for a few hours; I believe there are rental car shuttles at the port.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

The issue with doing something like the HoHo bus is what to do with your luggage, right?  That's the big stickler.  Otherwise I'd say, get yourself down to South Beach and see that part of town, and if the weather's nice, spend a little time on the beach.  Perhaps you could rent a car for a few hours; I believe there are rental car shuttles at the port.

As indicated above, when you do the Regent excursion and they take you to the HoHo bus, they store your luggage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

As indicated above, when you do the Regent excursion and they take you to the HoHo bus, they store your luggage.

Right enough, sorry!  I was thinking of doing it independently.  Of course, Regent will charge an arm and a leg, probably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Right enough, sorry!  I was thinking of doing it independently.  Of course, Regent will charge an arm and a leg, probably.

If the OP finds that Regent charges are excessive then the HO-HO bus website indicates that they can still arrange luggage storage for those booking independently of the cruise line.

In comparing booking direct against going with the Regent tour price then the OP would have to total up the costs of:

• Cab to Bayside MarketPlace
  • Luggage storage
  • Ho-Ho bus tickets
  • Cab, Bayside MarketPlace to the airport

If the OP wants to do something other than the Ho-Ho bus I am sure there are other luggage storage options nearby or elsewhere in Miami.

..................... and yes, if the OP wants to rent a car for the day, there are shuttles available at the port to take you to the nearest rental car depot. We used Hertz last time we arrived at the port in Miami, which I believe is the closest.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

Car rental may be the way to go since it will provide the most flexibility for sightseeing/activities. However, keep in mind that you would most likely need to pay for parking wherever you go (not a show stopper, but a heads up). Also, give yourself plenty of time to return the car at the airport car rental location since most car rental companies are centrally located outside of the airport. 

Z and TB

• Like 1

Plus getting to the rental office from the cruise port will take time...

Returning the car at MIA - actually quite simple.  Follow signs to rental car return on Lejeune Road and then take the "people mover" over to the terminal.  I have done this several times and it is not a hassle.  (What IS a hassle, and a major one, is MIA!!)

• Like 1