Princess Cays FIRE

Jdfireman

I agree. I would also take HMC over Freeport or Nassau. We have been on HMC with two HAL ships and it was busy but still lots of room. Had no problems finding a spot to sit. We tend to walk down the beach and sit near the rentals where there is shade from the trees on the edge of the beach in front of the rentals. Great spot if you want shade and very close to the shipwreck bar.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:53 PM, CruiseDude69 said:

Were there a lot of real buildings on the island? or was it more those tiki-hut type buildings....I can see those catching fire QUICK 😳

there were some structures of substantial construction, but most were just frame with plywood - not anything that would stand up to flames. 

DSC_8142.JPG

DSC_8153.JPG

21 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

A post by Princess on the Princess board says they will be open for visits starting Feb. 4.  It's post #126, at the top of page 6.  EM

Thanks for the update (and thanks to Princess, too)!  This is good news.  I guess the damage wasn't that bad after all.

• Like 1

I was on the Liberty and we did call on Princess Cay.  Things were not at all back to normal but they were ok enough.  Some power was out, there were jugs of water in the bathrooms to wash hands, ice and drink machines were not working at lunch.  CCL staff was filling up lemonade and water glasses for guests out of drink jugs.

Everyone made the best of it, of course!  There was a new fence up blocking what I assume to be where the fire was and they were working hard behind it!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 30scruiser said:

So weird that they are having ships go there in that situation. I would think they would try to schedule some for other ports  until the water is fixed like they did at first. 

It seems rather in control to me , in other words the damage was not that severe .  However cruising over the years I have been shocked when Carnival returned to ports where hurricanes had literally demolished said ports.

For example , Hurricane Ike left many of the locals homeless in Grand Turk and living in tents . Most of us know the dangers of storm related debris.

Turks+%26+Caicos+Islands16

Turks+%26+Caicos+Islands11

Edited by BoDidly

We were on the Liberty and we spent a day at Princess Cays on Feb. 5th.  There was not 100% power, but I thought it was remarkable that they were able to make the best of the situation.  Fortunately, this time of year, the weather is perfect -- not too hot and a nice breeze and the water is SO clear (but chilly) -- certainly worth the port of call.  The toilets flushed -- so that was a good thing and the potable water for hand-washing was fine.  There was only one restroom on the south end that wasn't open.  There were a few inconveniences but it was still enjoyable.  It was a good thing because otherwise, the workers on the island would be unemployed if ships didn't make it to Princess Cays.