Day trip to York from Newcastle

the mice

We (DH and I) are on Oceania Nautica with a long port day (8 am - 9pm) on Tuesday June 11.   After looking a various options, I think I would like to go to York for the day. It's about 1 hour by train each way, so we should have ample time.  I have some questions which I could not find answers to after using the search function.   So any help/advice greatly appreciated.

From what I can gather, Oceania runs a shuttle to the metro station which is still about 30 minutes or more to get into Newcastle center.   So, I think a taxi to Central station is our best bet.

Do we need to prebook a taxi or are they available in the port?  If we need to pre-book, any suggestions on reliable companies?   Do the taxis accept credit cards?   Can I assume a taxi from the station back to the port will be easy to get at the station upon our return in the evening (say 6:15 or 6:30 time frame). 

Since timing might be an issue in getting to the train station, I'm a bit concerned about pre-purchasing a ticket for a specific train without knowing how long it would take to get to the station.   Is rush hour a thing in Newcastle?  Are there usually long lines to buy tickets around 8:45-9am on a weekday?  (I've stood in line in London for 30-minutes...)?   Assuming the schedule is similar in June (only goes into early April as of now) there are trains at 9:02, 9:18, 9:29 and 9:35.    Would 9:18 be a safe bet to pre-purchase?   Or just buy in the station?

The other option is to just go to Durham which is much closer, but I have always wanted to see the York Minster, and my DH likes the idea of the Chocolate Trail.    Besides, going to Durham, still means getting to the train station, so same questions apply.

Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, the mice said:

We (DH and I) are on Oceania Nautica with a long port day (8 am - 9pm) on Tuesday June 11.   After looking a various options, I think I would like to go to York for the day. It's about 1 hour by train each way, so we should have ample time.  I have some questions which I could not find answers to after using the search function.   So any help/advice greatly appreciated.

From what I can gather, Oceania runs a shuttle to the metro station which is still about 30 minutes or more to get into Newcastle center.   So, I think a taxi to Central station is our best bet.

Do we need to prebook a taxi or are they available in the port?  If we need to pre-book, any suggestions on reliable companies?   Do the taxis accept credit cards?   Can I assume a taxi from the station back to the port will be easy to get at the station upon our return in the evening (say 6:15 or 6:30 time frame). 

Since timing might be an issue in getting to the train station, I'm a bit concerned about pre-purchasing a ticket for a specific train without knowing how long it would take to get to the station.   Is rush hour a thing in Newcastle?  Are there usually long lines to buy tickets around 8:45-9am on a weekday?  (I've stood in line in London for 30-minutes...)?   Assuming the schedule is similar in June (only goes into early April as of now) there are trains at 9:02, 9:18, 9:29 and 9:35.    Would 9:18 be a safe bet to pre-purchase?   Or just buy in the station?

The other option is to just go to Durham which is much closer, but I have always wanted to see the York Minster, and my DH likes the idea of the Chocolate Trail.    Besides, going to Durham, still means getting to the train station, so same questions apply.

Thanks in advance!

there will probably be plenty taxis available at port but whether  they take credit cards is up to company

you may be better off pre booking a taxi to meet you at pier

here are a couple of companies serving Newcastle area-they will tell you how long it will take to get to station even in rush hour[yes it is a thing in Newcastle]

www.bluelinetaxis.com

www.deantaxis.co.uk

there will be ample taxis at central station for return

it is much cheaper to buy advance tickets for a specific online rather than just turning up at station or an open ticket

book 3 months  in advance on www.lner.co.uk

Durham also has a cathedral similar in architechtural style to York

it is a small compact city and the cathedral and castle dominate the landscape as set up on a hill around a bend in the river Wear

fantastic views and only a 30 min train journey from Newcastle 

Thank you this info and for the links to the taxi companies.   I will contact them once the trains schedules are available. 

Preference is still to go to York.  But since this is a port intensive itinerary, and Newcastle is the first one, I may re-consider Durham after I see what/how much we are doing elsewhere.   Since Durham is closer, I suppose it would leave us time to see something of Newcastle itself.

Thanks again.

Durham is lovely and is only about 15 mins from Newcastle (in fact the fastest journey is only 11mins) so would be much quicker to get to than York. The Cathedral is magnificent and there are guided tours around the castle which is directly opposite the cathedral, easiest access from Silver Street. Walk along the river and cross the bridges - it's very attractive indeed. There is also an excellent market.

However York is lovely too and much bigger than Durham and so has more attractions . You would enjoy both so whichever you decide, you will have an interesting day.

(I am biased as  I am originally from Durham!)

Edited by Morgans

Thank you for this.   Looks like we will be spoiled for choice.    York may win out because of the "chocolate factor."  My DH isn't quite the traveler that I am, but he's a chocoholic, so this could help set a good tone for the rest of the trip/cruise, being port #1 and all.  But Durham sounds equally interesting and we love markets.    Decisions, decisions!!!

• Like 1

Regarding the trains.  You can book the cheapest Advanced ticket for specific services, but if for whatever reason you miss the outward service you can pay an excess fare before boarding the next service.  It will be the difference between what you have paid and a walk up fare.  

Advance single is currently showing at £7.50.  An off peak single is £26.70. 

Thanks for this tip.  Good to know.   Get so much useful advice here on CC.

Decided we will go to York because I realized, after going through my notes (I need to get a bit more organized.....), that I had previously decided to forego a private excursion (now full) that included Durham.  Since we have a very long port day,  the extra travel time (York vs Durham) should not be an issue.   Actually, the longer train ride will give DH a chance for a pre-sightseeing nap - good for him, better for me!:classic_biggrin: 

THANK YOU for the offer of assistance.

We are walkers, so hoping the June weather is as dry as it apparently was last year.   Using Google Maps and the York Visitor Center Chocolate Trail map, I've put together a walking itinerary (and always remain flexible).   

Here's the basic plan - not planning to visit inside ALL of these, unless there is plenty of time.  Any recommendations on which are best / which inside visits can be skipped. Hope to arrive in York station around 10-10:15 and would like to head back to the ship on a train around 17:30 (but we are flexible).   So basically around 7 hours in York.

The plan:
Start at Visitor Center - York Minster - Holy Trinity Church - York Chocolate Story - Barley Hall - sights around St. Helen's Square - the Shambles - Jorvik Viking Centre -  Fairfax House - Cliffords Tower - Castle Museum - Jacobs Well, Trinity Lane - All Saints Church, North Street.

Your advice truly welcomed!!  Cheers!

Marilyn

You will loooove York and there’s so much to be discovered and enchanted by, the Minster is only a start...I kept returning to it, attended Evensong which was and remains an unmatched experience to this day. Like many of you here I’ve seen many of the beautiful churches and cathedrals but this one is as distinctive as it is majestic. 

I arrived in York from London with no accommodations booked, it was off season so I figured it wouldn’t be too difficult to find something - I wanted to be able to walk everywhere. I guessed wrong, most of my choices were booked but an office in the train station called around and found me a place at Judges Lodging where I couldn’t have had a more dreamy room with a view of the Minster. 

I waa only there a couple of days on my way to Edinburgh but there was plenty to see. I think I could have spent days in The Shambles and exploring more of the heart of this historic city in detail. 

While I was in St Giles Cathedral In Edinburgh a kind gentleman told me that Durham was most certainly a destination to get to but then for me by now and my experiences around the UK, I’m happy just about anywhere there. 

I know it can be so tempting to see two places when the opportunity is there but I also know how good it feels when I took the time to just be where I was and see what it was all about. When I do this, slow it down and take it all in, I win every time. 

You ou are going to love York. You’ve got time for tea or Evensong and exploring this beautiful, historic, northern English city. 

Thanks, Host Bonjour.   Lucky you to have multiple days there.   My DH likes cruising and dislikes driving on the left side of the road, hence this British Isles cruise.   We did some driving in England years ago for about 10 days - that was more than enough for him in his lifetime!   My preference is for independent land travel so I can spend more time in one place - we spent a week based in Edinburgh - but this time we have just a long day to spend in York.   I'm just happy that it's a long port day so we can at least get there from Newcastle.  

I just realized I had recorded a show called Curious Traveler that was an episode about Yorkshire.   I just watched it and most of it was about York!   Wonderful.   I can see why you all recommend it so highly.

10 hours ago, the mice said:

THANK YOU for the offer of assistance.

We are walkers, so hoping the June weather is as dry as it apparently was last year.   Using Google Maps and the York Visitor Center Chocolate Trail map, I've put together a walking itinerary (and always remain flexible).   

Here's the basic plan - not planning to visit inside ALL of these, unless there is plenty of time.  Any recommendations on which are best / which inside visits can be skipped. Hope to arrive in York station around 10-10:15 and would like to head back to the ship on a train around 17:30 (but we are flexible).   So basically around 7 hours in York.

The plan:
Start at Visitor Center - York Minster - Holy Trinity Church - York Chocolate Story - Barley Hall - sights around St. Helen's Square - the Shambles - Jorvik Viking Centre -  Fairfax House - Cliffords Tower - Castle Museum - Jacobs Well, Trinity Lane - All Saints Church, North Street.

Your advice truly welcomed!!  Cheers!

Marilyn

I would make some time for the National Railway Museum, I only went as I had time to kill but very much wished I had longer. It’s by the station so easy to get to.

12 hours ago, pinkpanther52 said:

I would make some time for the National Railway Museum, I only went as I had time to kill but very much wished I had longer. It’s by the station so easy to get to.

We live very near a major railyard in our area.  They used to have Open Days and we went once.  It was quite interesting - not a museum as such, but the repair shops, big locomotives, etc.   We've been to another RR museum elsewhere in the USA.  This looks interesting, but cars (and chocolate) are more my DH's thing and I think we are going to have a jam packed day already.   But I'll keep this in mind if we have extra time.  

35 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Hmmm Chocolate or trains I know which would win for me as well 🍫 🍫🍫🍫

See you are from Edinburgh - love your city.  Spent a week there in June 2005.  Wonderful memories.   We have another port day there on this cruise.  Looking forward to our return.

Chocolate or haggis?   I know what we'd choose!:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: