Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate Requirements for entry to other countries after,

Dixiecharlie

We cannot find a definitive answer anywhere (after perusing the CDC website & reading various Trip Advisor threads etc) about our query. We go on to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala & México after transiting the Canal from the east,  & our priority is excursions in these countries. If necessary we will remain on the ship on the day we are docked in Fuerte Amador (for Panama City) to avoid any possible  problems getting off the ship at the ports that follow - bottom line is we are not having the Yellow Fever shots due to health concerns. Would really appreciate any comments from past cruisers as we’re confused as to requirements!!

I've found the info by going to the American Embassy website for each country to find out what's needed, it can be different fron CDC's site. They have the current requirements, it's under their travel section on the page. We've also been to all the countries mentioned and there were no Yellow fever needed, usually if you go to the Amazon region then it's strongly recommended.

Edited by firecrewcapt

Thanks for the quick reply-will investigate the US Embassy website.

Be careful because yellow fever and other tourist information is often directed at those who are doing an extended visit, like a week or two.
I have been to Panama several times since the mid 80s, both cruise and land visits. No yellow fever, in fact, no special shots have ever been required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow fever is not needed for most tourist  areas, even in the Amazon.  Our Brazilian expert explained CDC mapping is quite general and the only malaria present is deep, deep  in the Amazonian jungle where tourists will not get near.   

Cannot imagine anyone taking yellow fever immunizations for your areas.  Save your money. 

We are going to be going up the Amazon - we got letters from our doctor saying that the YF vaccination is "medically contra-indicated"  (because of our ages).  That might cover any requirements if it were asked for.  You don't want to get bitten by mosquitoes - take lots of insect repellent.  Even if there's no YF, there is certainly Zika around.

(We had yellow fever shots when we lived in Africa, so we do have it in our WHO booklets, however, from 30+ years ago - supposed to be lifetime coverage now, so we have that as well..)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

we got letters from our doctor saying that the YF vaccination is "medically contra-indicated"  (because of our ages).  

We do that as well... but unless things have changed I thought the cruise line informs you what VAX and visas are needed when you book...

47 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

We do that as well... but unless things have changed I thought the cruise line informs you what VAX and visas are needed when you book...

Yes, and perhaps there has been some mention of what is required on OP's roll call...

Dixiecharlie-- Last April we were on the Prinsendam for a Med/Africa Grand Voyage that included ports in The Gambia and Senegal. Both countries advise Yellow Fever vaccinations, and as I recall, Gambia requires them. HAL told me that even deciding not to get off the ship there would not avoid a country's vaccination requirement. That is, we would not be allowed to board the ship at the start of the cruise.

Then I learned that the U.S. has basically run out of this vaccine and that another med is being used as a substitute. Finally, I learned from HAL that a letter from a doctor stating that this vaccination is not medically appropriate for this person would be honored. That's what we did, and our letters were honored by HAL. By the way, I learned that this vaccination can cause medical problems with some folks.

David

Two years ago we were on a cruise to Rio on the Veendam. Yellow Fever shots were recommended but not required. While we in Brazil there was a yellow fever outbreak in part of the country. On our return to the US the ship stopped at St Lucia. The local officials would not let anyone off because we had been to Brazil. After two hours of negotiations, including discussions between the port authorities and HAL's lawyers in Seattle, it was decided that those who had proof of Yellow Fever vaccinations would be allowed ashore. All others, including those with a doctor's wavier, would have to stay on board. My wife and I were allowed ashore because we documentation of our vaccinations, a lot of others were stuck on the ship. We did learn at that time that WHO has decided that the vaccinations are good indefinitely.

Usually a doctor's wavier (given to folks over 60 or who have medical conditions that preclude them getting the vaccination) is accepted, but in this case it wasn't.

If you are going to travel in the tropics and can get the shot, get it.