Price paid for SS now more than NS

Snowesha

I tried to research this to no avail. My dilemma is that I paid $1799 for a SS guarantee with Explore 4 but now NS is selling for $1599. Should I call and inquire to be moved to a NS? I am paid in full. I don't really want to lose the benefit of the Explore 4 but would I? I'll be a 3 star Mariner after this cruise if it even matters. Any insight and guidance/experience with this will be greatly appreciated! I'm celebrating my birthday during the cruise so I just want to have the best experience possible! Thank you!

Almost a 100% certainty that you will use the Explore4 package.  Whenever this promotion ends, you will generally notice a drop in base fare - thus what you experienced.

If you are OK with losing the drink package, I would call HAL and ask what they can do for you.

Neptune has that free bottle of bubbily that we never finished.  Free drinks on Embarkation night, mimosas w/ room service, but otherwise nothing.   Neptune Lounge has nice snacks all day long, and their concierges are on duty the whole time the lounge is open.  Not having to visit the front desk may be worth it!  We also had more people to tip.

28 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

Neptune has that free bottle of bubbily that we never finished.  Free drinks on Embarkation night, mimosas w/ room service, but otherwise nothing.   Neptune Lounge has nice snacks all day long, and their concierges are on duty the whole time the lounge is open.  Not having to visit the front desk may be worth it!  We also had more people to tip.

Most ships will let you exchange your bubbly for a bottle of house wine (or something else).  As at the Neptune Lounge.

Other Neptune perks that we use are - free laundry, breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill and a Neptune welcome reception.  Plus the cabins now have pod coffee makers and bigger TVs.  Further, an expanded room service breakfast menu with free Mimosas.

4 hours ago, Snowesha said:

I tried to research this to no avail. My dilemma is that I paid $1799 for a SS guarantee with Explore 4 but now NS is selling for $1599. Should I call and inquire to be moved to a NS? I am paid in full. I don't really want to lose the benefit of the Explore 4 but would I? I'll be a 3 star Mariner after this cruise if it even matters. Any insight and guidance/experience with this will be greatly appreciated! I'm celebrating my birthday during the cruise so I just want to have the best experience possible! Thank you!

Explore 4 does not come 'cheap'    here is no free ride and explore 4 is a good reason  the price on your cabin is high compared to N.S.  Ask your TA what the price would be if you remove Explore 4   from your booking.

sail.noordam@gmail.com

45 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Most ships will let you exchange your bubbly for a bottle of house wine (or something else).  As at the Neptune Lounge.

Other Neptune perks that we use are - free laundry, breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill and a Neptune welcome reception.  Plus the cabins now have pod coffee makers and bigger TVs.  Further, an expanded room service breakfast menu with free Mimosas.

I tried to get the concierge to swap my bubbily, but they refused.  Love that TV on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  But the TV on the Veendam's.  We'd heard the Veendam had a larger Neptune.  We liked the Vanity room right off the bed, and it also had a handy sink.

5 hours ago, Msrigby said:

Just call and ask. You lose nothing and can only be ahead

I did call this afternoon and spoke to a CSR. In order to keep my Explore 4 package I would have to pay an additional $700 PP to upgrade to a NS or I can forgo the Explore 4 and take the NS guarantee. It was a very hard decision but I decided to wait it out because I am in a SS guarantee so I don't even know what my location on the ship will be yet. There still is a chance I will be offered an upsell to a NS and with that I confirmed that I would get to keep my Explore 4. I'm a gambler and I feel good about my decision! Thanks for the advice!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

I tried to get the concierge to swap my bubbily, but they refused.  Love that TV on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  But the TV on the Veendam's.  We'd heard the Veendam had a larger Neptune.  We liked the Vanity room right off the bed, and it also had a handy sink.

As most things HAL, the bubbly exchange varies by ship (as I mentioned earlier).  You could also try to exchange it in the MDR for a house white or red..

16 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

I'm not sure why there is a quandary here.  if one drinks any alcohol, the Explore 4 more than makes up for the fact that you could now book an NS for $220 pp. less than a guarantee on a SS.  We have never taken even a 7-day cruise where we did not spend $400 on alcohol.

Plus, as you observed, you haven't yet been assigned your cabin.  It  is possible you will end up with an NS.  Third, you get free laundry with the NS; breakfast in the Pinnacle and an enhanced room service breakfast, complete with Mimosas if that is of any interest. 

OTOH, I don't remember what Explore 4 now includes.  Perhaps it includes free laundry and gratuities?  If the latter, you would be further ahead of the game by keeping your present guarantee.  Gratuities will eat up $200 a week.

36 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

OTOH, I don't remember what Explore 4 now includes.  Perhaps it includes free laundry and gratuities?  If the latter, you would be further ahead of the game by keeping your present guarantee.  Gratuities will eat up $200 a week.

The last Explore4 did not include any of those things.  There was some OBC included though, depending on the category booked.

13 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I'm not sure why there is a quandary here.  if one drinks any alcohol, the Explore 4 more than makes up for the fact that you could now book an NS for $220 pp. less than a guarantee on a SS.  We have never taken even a 7-day cruise where we did not spend $400 on alcohol.

Plus, as you observed, you haven't yet been assigned your cabin.  It  is possible you will end up with an NS.  Third, you get free laundry with the NS; breakfast in the Pinnacle and an enhanced room service breakfast, complete with Mimosas if that is of any interest. 

My Explore 4 includes the drink package for two, $150 OBC for each and 2 Dinners at Pinnacle Grill worth approx. $1000. That's why I decided to keep what I have and hope lady luck shines on me with an affordable upsell.

11 hours ago, Snowesha said:

My Explore 4 includes the drink package for two, $150 OBC for each and 2 Dinners at Pinnacle Grill worth approx. $1000. That's why I decided to keep what I have and hope lady luck shines on me with an affordable upsell.

Wise choice.  And you may yet get the phone call for an upsell.  These upsells appear frequently to SS passengers.  Good luck.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, Snowesha said:

Check your prices today and see if they changed (mine did by $100 for the SS and $200 more for the Neptune),